Jury Duty

Notmuchlonger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is my 3rd time in 10 years. I must be lucky or something. ;) How many times have you served. Maybe this time I wont have to report :p

I have served only twice (once a Foreman). I would willingly (and gladly) do it much more often if asked.

BTW, both times, the defendent was found Not Guilty. The Jury System of Justice is not something I would like to ever see lost... particularly if there is a chance that I will ever be accused of something that goes to trial. (In case it's important, I do have issues with some other parts of our criminal justice system.)

Recalled serving 2-3 times in the last 8 years. They haven't found me yet up here in the forest, yet.:whistle:
The one I was on the jury for was the great "dog trial". The only way justice could be served is if all of the lawyers associated with the mess served time. I did my duty and got a diploma type award for it.

Free to canoe

Served on one trial. Found the person guilty. I would prefer to do something else. :)

Have been on jury duty a dozen or so times. Never once on a jury. Every time was tossed by one or the other party's attorneys.

Two years ago, was tossed when the judge asked if anyone had legal training. I asked the judge to define legal training. Immediately after his explanation I was excused. Three months ago, my jury number was higher than the range required to report.

2 juries to verdict (1 criminal - guilty, 1 civil), 3 times kicked off jury after questioning. Verrrrry boring, hate the dress code.

Was called in at least a dozen times... when young, was thrown off all the time... lately, I have been on all the juries... 4 in total... 3 guilty and one hung...

the funny thing is that the hung jury was a slam dunk guilty... we had witnesses how saw the guy, saw a gun in his hand etc... no evidence that there was not a gun... when we went into deliberate... one of the ladies said in the first 5 minutes... "I don't believe there was a gun involved"... say WHAT:confused: I knew right then we were hung... so I just started to read my book... took two days of sitting around before we were released....

Have never had the opportunity -- the closest I came was several years ago, I had just moved to Oregon but the notice was from my previous address in another state so I just let them know I was no longer a resident. I feel a little slighted...

I, too, would be willing to serve on a jury as part of my civic duty. I have gotten a couple of availability cards in the mail over the years which I had to return indicating via a checklist that I had no conditions that would preclude me from serving. Never heard from them again.

I don´t believe in the jury system. It´s being introduced in Spain. Starting with certain crimes. 15% of it´s decisions have been revoked.

Never, and I have always thought it would be fascinating. People tell me that it isn't, but at this rate I'll probably never know.

I served on a couple juries and found the whole process very educational. I always wanted to get on a long one when I was working as I would get paid anyhow and it would be a break from the everyday grind. Shortly after I retired I got another notice....well now they were cutting into MY time....hey, I got things to think about doing you know?! Fortunately the guy plead to some lesser charge and it only took a couple days. But Hey! I got to keep my 11 dollars for each day I was there! :LOL:

I served on a couple juries and found the whole process very educational. I always wanted to get on a long one when I was working as I would get paid anyhow and it would be a break from the everyday grind. Shortly after I retired I got another notice....well now they were cutting into MY time....hey, I got things to think about doing you know?! Fortunately the guy plead to some lesser charge and it only took a couple days. But Hey! I got to keep my 11 dollars for each day I was there! :LOL:

Well see, there you go! I wanted to go while at work, too, but if I had been called, I knew we weren't allowed to keep the extra money like that.

I don´t believe in the jury system. It´s being introduced in Spain. Starting with certain crimes. 15% of it´s decisions have been revoked.

There is some thought in the U.S. that a professional jurist (judge) system would render more even-handed and reasoned verdicts for defendants and save time and money too. It takes many years for most civil cases to come to trial. I don't think it would ever happen as trial by jury of one's peers is such an ingrained part of English law.

I tell you, jury duty is one PITA for a fulltime RVer!

This past February I returned to Kerrville and sat around for the whole month just checking each Friday to see if I had to report at the Federal Court in San Antonio the following monday morning for a jury pick. I couldn't make any plans, couldn't make any appointments (especially not Dr's etc.), because I never knew until a few days in advance whether I was excused for the week.

Jury pick was cancelled two of those weeks and my number didn't get picked the other two.

Being "on call" for a whole month really stinks!

Audrey

the funny thing is that the hung jury was a slam dunk guilty... we had witnesses how saw the guy, saw a gun in his hand etc... no evidence that there was not a gun... when we went into deliberate... one of the ladies said in the first 5 minutes... "I don't believe there was a gun involved"...

A good example of why I think the jury system should be scrapped. There are a lot of dumb people around, and they shouldn't be making decisions on people's guilt or otherwise.

In my opinion.

Peter

I've never been notified. Wonder how they pick people? I've been here all my life too, 43 years.

I've never been notified. Wonder how they pick people? I've been here all my life too, 43 years.

In my county its random. You cant serve consecutive years. Certain things exclude you. One is being a peace officer or a felon. Damn there goes my undercover internet persona as being a felon :(

I have been called up twice but tossed in questioning both times. Since we came to JP 10 years ago I have been sent notices twice, which my dad collects and responds that I am out of the country for an extended period. Once I FIRE, it is my intention to volunteer, at least a couple times, to make up for the times I could not serve.

R

I tell you, jury duty is one PITA for a fulltime RVer!

This past February I returned to Kerrville and sat around for the whole month just checking each Friday to see if I had to report at the Federal Court in San Antonio the following monday morning for a jury pick. I couldn't make any plans, couldn't make any appointments (especially not Dr's etc.), because I never knew until a few days in advance whether I was excused for the week.

Jury pick was cancelled two of those weeks and my number didn't get picked the other two.

Being "on call" for a whole month really stinks!

Audrey

Another good reason to volunteer (when you are going to be in town anyway. It gets you off the hook for a year or two of good RV Ramblin'.

R

I've been called a few times, on a potential panal once or twice, but never went to trial.

My sister did, years ago, and found it very interesting (not guilty of the charges, but "If only felony stupidity had been on the list...")

ta,
mew

Another good reason to volunteer (when you are going to be in town anyway. It gets you off the hook for a year or two of good RV Ramblin'.

R
Well, I don't think the Federal Courts work that way. I expect I could easily make that arrangement with the county court.

Audrey

This is how it works in Denver:

Many people assume that the Denver County Court is responsible for summoning people to jury duty. This is incorrect.

In fact, the Denver County Court uses a jury pool which is managed by the Jury Commissioner, a State employee from the Denver District Court. All courts -- County, State and Federal -- requiring the use of jurors draw their panels from a shared pool of available jurors. Jurors are not pre-assigned or reserved by a specific courtroom, except in extraordinary situations.

Denver has a one day, one trial system, which means that a person is either selected to sit as a juror or is released from service on the first day they are summoned to jury duty. This appearance, whether or not the person is chosen to sit on a jury, constitutes the individual's jury obligation until the next time a jury summons is received.

Jurors are provided to courtrooms on a first-come, first-served basis with the exception of a criminal or speedy trial matter. These cases have a priority over other cases.

The Jury Commissioner's office services 36 courtrooms and is also responsible for payment of jurors for their services. Jurors are expected to be paid by their employers, if employed, for the first three days of service. After that time, the Jury Commissioner pays $50 per day for each day over three days. Further information can be found on the State jury website.

Found at Jury Commissioner?

I find it very scary. They call me every year. Last year I barely escaped being on a six week trial (in the middle of the summer).

A friend says she just tosses her summons in the garbage, but I'm just too honest or something to do that.

Got a summons for DD, who now lives in Missouri, so I'm waiting to see if they follow up on it.

I asked why, with 100,000 plus residents in the county they call me every year. They gave me figures about how many people don't show up, etc.

Back
Top Bottom