Join Early Retirement Today

Just received my Christmas present from Uncle Sam!
Old 12-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just received my Christmas present from my Uncle Sam.

I have been approved to get depended benefits based upon my ex-wife's SS account. I am at that age where I can claim on my ex-wife's account while my own increases for the next four years. Finally, I manage to benefit from a Grandfather clause in the law/rules/customs/procedures.

Years of struggle as a wretched bachelor have paid off. Now, watch me fall madly in love with a fantastic woman who loves me equally, marry her, and lose the benefit. That would be worth it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Woo-hoo!!

The gift that keeps on giving!
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Now, watch me fall madly in love
With your newfound riches, you'll be beating 'em off with a stick!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Good for you but I hope you find your love of your life! lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Good for you! My present from the IRS is I got my annual PIN letter in the mail since my tax info got hacked about a year ago.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on hitting a seam in the regulations. Social Security is just unbelievably complicated.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Congratulations on hitting a seam in the regulations. Social Security is just unbelievably complicated.
Yes, it is.

This and the National Parks pass are the only two breaks I really have been waiting for.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
gone traveling

I heard from my oldest daughter after her visit with my ex wife over Christmas that the topic of why she and her boyfriend of 9 years have not married came up. My ex told our daughter that she planned on filing for spousal benefits since her boyfriend has had little income and will have low benefits, as well as her. One problem with her plan. We were married in May of 1989, and divorced in Feb of 1999....

Should I let her know?
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

No, I would let SS tell her.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, it is.

This and the National Parks pass are the only two breaks I really have been waiting for.
And both are snatched away from me, just as I am about to get them.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Years of struggle as a wretched bachelor have paid off. Now, watch me fall madly in love with a fantastic woman who loves me equally, marry her, and lose the benefit. That would be worth it.

If you find a woman who "dreams of DRCs" then you may be on the right path....
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And both are snatched away from me, just as I am about to get them.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
I heard from my oldest daughter after her visit with my ex wife over Christmas that the topic of why she and her boyfriend of 9 years have not married came up. My ex told our daughter that she planned on filing for spousal benefits since her boyfriend has had little income and will have low benefits, as well as her. One problem with her plan. We were married in May of 1989, and divorced in Feb of 1999....

Should I let her know?
Because the marriage didn't last ten years, do the spousal benefits drop off like a cliff?

I would let her know or at least let the daughter know that this plan may be fatally flawed. Advise her to contact SS ASAP for confirmation/clarification.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Because the marriage didn't last ten years, do the spousal benefits drop off like a cliff?
Not only that, but the ten years have to be consecutive.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #15

Weren't you looking forward to medicare also? DH just qualified (starting this Sunday) and we're excited about the lower insurance costs plus the silver sneakers program! He's had the Nat'l Park card for a while. And no ex-wive's for him.. so no SS benefits from that avenue.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I would let her know or at least let the daughter know that this plan may be fatally flawed. Advise her to contact SS ASAP for confirmation/clarification.
Yes, I believe the 10 years is a strict requirement. No pro-rating of the SS benefit.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:

-gauss
Yes... less than 10 years, no benefit.

I see a problem with this whole thing, and yet another reason this system is collapsing. If someone were to marry 3 different people, each for 10 years and 1 day, they would all 3 be eligible for the spousal benefit.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes... less than 10 years, no benefit.

I see a problem with this whole thing, and yet another reason this system is collapsing. If someone were to marry 3 different people, each for 10 years and 1 day, they would all 3 be eligible for the spousal benefit.
True, but realistically, is that really a significant problem? I have run into a few people with 3+ marriages in their life and most of their marriages were relatively short - less than 5 years. Or, sometimes they have one long one in which they have children, do the family thing, then divorce when the kids are young adults. On the rebound they have a short 2-3 year marriage that everybody but them knows is doomed to quick failure. After that, they give up on marriage.

Like my old grand-pappy used to say "One divorce can happen to anybody, two divorces are unfortunate, but at three you have to start looking in the mirror".

Actually, it is far more likely that if a person (especially women) has two divorces under their belt they don't want to get married anymore. The number of women in their 50's and 60's, divorced twice, who want another man legally tied to them seems quite small. They think it is .

Like my old grand-pappy used to say "One divorce can happen to anybody, two divorces are unfortunate, but at three you have to start looking in the mirror".

Old 01-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Should I let her know?
As stupid as the SS office is, they'll probably say 1999-1989= 10 years, where do we send the check? Then about 20 years from now when all are dead, they'll be going: "Wait a minute, that wasn't a full 10 years and we want our money back"--total idiots.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
As stupid as the SS office is, they'll probably say 1999-1989= 10 years, where do we send the check? Then about 20 years from now when all are dead, they'll be going: "Wait a minute, that wasn't a full 10 years and we want our money back"--total idiots.
I don't think that's likely. AFAIK, SS does its calculations in months, not years, so the requirement is for 120 consecutive months. Pretty easy to see how this case doesn't cut it.

Tags
social security marriage