Just sold my old car on Next-door

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a 2006 Lexus RX with about 200,000 miles. It has been a great car and I have been shopping for a newer 2015 Lexus RX to replace it (I will do a separate email about my adventures in shopping for the newer Lexus). Retail value for my old car on Kelly Blue Book and NADA is around $6-7000. The Lexus dealer only wanted to give me $3,500 for my old car. Carmax would give me $4000 ( I must say that dealing with Carmax was very easy--if you don't want to sell a car yourself Carmax is the better way to go.) I decided to try to sell the car myself but I was hesitant to list it on Craigslist. So I listed it on Next-door which is a neighborhood social media site that has classifieds as well as neighborhood news. I felt safer with Next-door because with Next-door you have to register to use it and in order to register you have to prove you live in the neighborhood. Anyway I was contacted by someone through Next-door about the car. ( I was able to find out quite a bit about the person interested in my car, turns out I know their relatives). I was not concerned about the Next-door buyer test driving the car and was not concerned about counterfeit money, etc. I got $6000 for my old car which I am very pleased with.

If someone wants to sell a used car and does not want to use Craigslist I suggest Next-door.

I've used ND to buy/sell furniture and patio stuff. Much better neighborhood than the CL swamp.

I was looking at RX's last week at my dealer, Lexus of Memphis. They had 3 2015 models--low mileage. They're the best car dealership I've ever seen, and I was in the auto business for 24 years.

Next door is great for selling stuff. I sold my pontoon boat on next door to a family on the same lake as us. Very convenient.

I'm amazed that any car with 200,000 miles is worth $6000. I like Nextdoor for garage sales and other household item buying and selling. It is also good for informing people about local zoning issues.

I’ve heard that NextDoor can get a little “gossipy”, with people wanting to get in your business. I wonder: is that others experience? I chose to decline an invite for that reason.

I’ve used ND quite a bit. It feels more secure than a service like CL but it is starting to get cluttered with paid ads and lost pets. I don’t see how anyone could get in your business if you don’t let them in.

I’ve heard that NextDoor can get a little “gossipy”, with people wanting to get in your business. I wonder: is that others experience? I chose to decline an invite for that reason.

No one gets in my business. They don’t know where I live, as in having my address. As with all on line gossip or arguing, you always have the choice to not read or not answer. Personally, I like Nextdoor for its market place and some community relevant information. Unfortunately, ours tends to be all to common to have someone ask, “is your water out”, as in did another water main break?

That’s amazing, congrats. We’ve only sold about 1/3rd of what we’ve offered on NextDoor, and rarely big ticket items. Even though I don’t like doing business on eBay anymore, we still do much better there.

There are some gossips and chronic complainers on NextDoor here, we just ignore that. It is good for local recommendations, that makes it worthwhile to me.

OP here, in addition to the classified ads, I find Next-door very helpful on local issues in my area. Recently we had a snowstorm and electricity was out and next-door was the only place I could find info about the power outage situation.

ND is also a great place to advertise events such as fundraisers, school and church events, etc.

I don't see much gossip stuff on ND, if there is any I just ignore it.

It’s a forum, just like here. Very helpful to most, but some can’t resist being an a*ole.

Thanks all for those comments about Nextdoor, sounds positive so I’ll reconsider. I also realized that I can ask neighbors I’ve already met in the typical ways: out on walks, local eateries, etc. There’s a new pub opening soon too. Nobody lies over beer! (right?)

I like Nextdoor. I keep the privacy settings fairly tight. But I also share a limited amount of personal information, like interests. I also keep my newsfeed limited to my immediate neighborhood and one or two adjacent ones. This keeps the volume of posts down and the relevancy (to me) up.

I get updates about road construction or closures which is very helpful. Also, good input about service providers, ISPs, etc. People report crimes, suspicious vehicles, etc. Notifications about rezoning, local candidate forums, etc. All fairly useful information. There is some complaining about alleged violations of deed restrictions and similar matters, some of which gets a bit petty. But that's easy to ignore.

The For Sale section is OK. I've never used it to buy or sell anything. But I would certainly trust it more than CL for a car transaction. I'm thinking of selling my old truck and I dread the thought of putting it out on CL. So this was a timely thread for me.

I have a 2006 Lexus RX with about 200,000 miles. It has been a great car and I have been shopping for a newer 2015 Lexus RX to replace it (I will do a separate email about my adventures in shopping for the newer Lexus). .

I'm picking up my "new" 2015 RX tomorrow after a 6-week search for the right car at a right price. Local Lexus dealer wants way too much for them, so I started an internet search around the country as I was willing to ship the car for a great deal. After all's said and done, I have to say it was more stressful than I anticipated, but I did get a great deal on the exact car we wanted. Here's a link that narrowed my search.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...&sortBy=relevance&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

I used the search bar (bottom left) to narrow the color I wanted. PM me if you would like more details on my purchase specifics. Best of luck.

Good timing, I just heard of Next Door yesterday. Turns out my adult son in another town found a lost dog while out for a walk, no visible ID. He put a picture on Next Door and they found the owner in 10-15 minutes. Owner was happy and relieved to get his little dog back, and amazed that he'd managed to cover 15 blocks in a short period of time out (urban neighborhood). :)

Good timing, I just heard of Next Door yesterday. Turns out my adult son in another town found a lost dog while out for a walk, no visible ID. He put a picture on Next Door and they found the owner in 10-15 minutes. Owner was happy and relieved to get his little dog back, and amazed that he'd managed to cover 15 blocks in a short period of time out (urban neighborhood). :)
Our NextDoor is mostly lost dogs and cats with a few suspicious stranger posts a week.

Our NextDoor is mostly lost dogs and cats with a few suspicious stranger posts a week.

And with the obligatory statement at the end, "Police have been contacted". :D

I do notice a huge difference in the posting from our Atlanta home (where our "neighbors" were in the 15,000 users range) to our new locale in "fly-over country" where we now only have 500 users that are "neighbors" there is a lot more civility.

I just found a set of keys on the sidewalk in front of my house. I left them on top of my gate hoping the person who lost them will come back. I am also posting on Next-door too.

My neighbor put their daughters old car on that site. There it continues to sit months later. Have been dying to ask them why not Craigslist?

OP here, I gave my car classified on Next-door a week and if it had not sold I was going to try Craigslist. I can understand why people are reluctant to sell things on Craigslist--scammers, no shows, people wanting to buy your car for practically nothing, dealers harassing you, etc. I have sold several things on Next-door and I have never had any scammers, etc, only people that are truly interested in the item you are selling. I am willing to meet Next-door buyers at my house or their house, I would never do that with a Craigslist buyer.

Back
Top Bottom