Kaspersky software called security risk

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Last edited:
The trouble is that all the foreign gov't spy agencies posing as separate independent companies would say the same thing.

So I can't figure it out. ..

Folks in those countries, that believe in their own gov't system, probably think the same of companies we consider normal like MS.

US has brought this up in the past regarding Kaspersky. Kaspersky made perfectly clear at the time they are completely independent with no ties to government, always have been, and are solely focused on their business and providing the best antivirus platform. ...
Seriously? Or are you just being sarcastic?

I have never considered Kaspersky. To my knowledge I am not running any software that originates in countries known for cyber mischief, including PRC, Russia, Iran, and North Korea. A year or so ago I looked at quite an attractive replacement for Evernote but rejected it because it was Russian. Small risks, admittedly, but avoidable.

US has brought this up in the past regarding Kaspersky. Kaspersky made perfectly clear at the time they are completely independent with no ties to government, always have been, and are solely focused on their business and providing the best antivirus platform.

https://www.kaspersky.com/about/press-releases/2022_kaspersky-statement-on-the-fcc-public-notice

They are probably good guys in normal times. I wouldn't trust that they can be independent in wartime with a guy like Putin and his FSB. It would be so easy for Russian authorities to use extreme threats to get their way.

Thanks for the thread. I've used Kaspersky for years and it's actually excellent, but after this thread pointed me to the warning, I took it off. Setting up ESET instead.

I work in cyber security working with public sector entities. The warning about getting off of Kaspersky goes back at least 5 years. I dont know a single organization that still uses it.

I'm surprised anyone would use Russian antivirus software. That's like using Mosquito repellant made by Mosquitoes. ;)

Yeah. Since Russia is run by Putin (former KGB) and the Oligarchs (who he has been milking for dough after they bought up the entire country for pennies on the dollar, nobody there can be trusted.

Yeah, there are good Russians and bad Russians, but how do you know which are which and how would you know how to sort the good from the bad?

I replaced Kaspersky with Norton last week. Norton activated the Kaspersky driven removal tool. I wasn't using Kaspersky password manager, but it was not removed and caused some issues logging into Norton. The password input was garbled and no login to Norton was possible. I used Windows to remove this feature and then no issue logging into Norton.
After the final restart, my sound settings were messed up, but easily adjustable.
Seems that Kaspersky was punking me on the way out.

They are probably good guys in normal times. I wouldn't trust that they can be independent in wartime with a guy like Putin and his FSB. It would be so easy for Russian authorities to use extreme threats to get their way.
Just threats? I'm imagining them occupying Kapersky's offices. How would we know? I wouldn't expect any of the staff to risk their lives (and their family's lives) to warn their users. Although you could be right, Putin really likes to bluster.

Back
Top Bottom