Join Early Retirement Today

Keep your car battery charged!
Old 09-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Keep your car battery charged!

Your car battery may be very low if your driving habits have changed with all the COVID shutdowns/restrictions (or any other reason you are driving less). Check it and keep it charged! Here's what happened to us:

DW was going to go shopping Sat AM, and her car wouldn't turn over, just "click-click-click". Battery will be 6 years old next January, so about time to replace anyhow.

But I suspect the main issue is the short and infrequent trips have just not kept the battery charged. We use my car for longer trips. I measured and it was at 11.7V, which is very low, but maybe not a bad cell.

So I wondered about my car (3 YO original battery), and it was at 12.0V which is also very low (and I had some extended trips, ~ 40 minutes, a few weeks ago), but it started, so we did our shopping together.

Some notes on Battery Voltage vs capacity (measured after battery has 'rested', off the charger, for > 20 minutes):

12.70V ~ 100% capacity
12.48V ~ 75%
12.24V ~ 50%
12.06V ~ 25%
11.89V ~ 0%

Dropping below ~ 10.2V can permanently damage the battery.

So I put our ancient simple non-electronic/non-smart charger on hers for a few hours Sat evening, but didn't want to leave it overnight unattended. This morning, it measures ~ 12.2V. I wondered, how long do I need to keep this charger on to reach full capacity?

Well, the RC25 rating is 85 minutes, so that's 25 Amps @ 85 minutes, which is ~ 35 Amp Hours (25⋅85/60). I measured the charger current after it was on for 10 minutes or so at ~ 1.3 Amps. So that indicates it would take ~ 35/1.3 ~ 30 hours for a full charge - far more than I would have thought.

So I'm going to leave it on and check it before dinner to see where I get, then do my car tomorrow. Oh, I did plan on just buying a new battery when we were out Saturday, but the place I go to was closed for the Labor Day w/e (with no note on their website!). While I suspect this battery will be OK after a full charge, I'll still replace it before winter as a precaution.

So not a bad idea to check your battery voltage to avoid a surprise. Fortunately, this happened at home which made things less stressful.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good point, all the electronics on cars these days can really draw the battery down. We've been having this trouble with my mom's car since she stopped driving last year. We kept the car at our house for awhile and used it to go to her place and for occasional errands, but during the riots in Seattle (30 miles away, mind you) she insisted on keeping the car at her place in case she needed to make an escape. She's nearly blind in one eye and had no idea where she'd drive to, but we couldn't reason her out of that. We do use it when taking her places more than about 10 miles away, which is only a couple times a month. Saves us gas and miles on our car, I guess. But the last time we needed to take her into Seattle, the battery was dead. We jumped it later, then brought it to our house and put it on the trickle charger. Need to keep a closer eye on it and bring it over for charging as necessary.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I bought the BEATIT B10 QDSP 800A Peak 12V Portable Car Lithium Jump Starter as recommended on another thread.

I'll have to go out and check the voltage with it.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #4

The first time I took my car out after the lock down, I had the same problem, a dead battery. Fortunately, my charger has a jump start setting, and it worked well.
Fortunately, we are in Southern California, so a cold start was not a problem.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I bought the BEATIT B10 QDSP 800A Peak 12V Portable Car Lithium Jump Starter as recommended on another thread.

I'll have to go out and check the voltage with it.
And if your car battery is low, I assume you could use that Jump Starter to simply top off the car battery with a slow/moderate charge? That would be better to be proactive, rather than responding to a jump start if it gets really low. As I mentioned, if the car battery drops to below ~ 10.2V, there can be permanent damage to the battery.

Let us know what you find.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Some notes on Battery Voltage vs capacity (measured after battery has 'rested', off the charger, for > 20 minutes):

12.70V ~ 100% capacity
12.48V ~ 75%
12.24V ~ 50%
12.06V ~ 25%
11.89V ~ 0%

As usual, good information.

I was not familiar with this heuristic - I tested the 3 year old AGM battery in my seldom driven truck - 12.55V with a digital meter, the scale on the analog meters are not granular enough to make a clear call.
I do put the battery on a charger when it will be sitting more than a couple weeks - either PV powered or the digital float charger.
I have read the float chargers will only maintain a battery, a conventional 'buzz box' or three stage charger is best if the voltage gets below a certain level(?)

PS - OK, I think I read that somewhere in this related thread over at bogleheads -

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...?f=11&t=323191
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Last night I went out to pick up a pizza, and DW's car with a 5.5 yr old battery was slow to start.
I had not driven it in a couple of weeks.
This battery is getting weak, and I had to charge it up a couple of times due to lack of driving.
Soon will be time for a new battery, which I'll put in our "newer" car, and move it's battery to DW's (the to be moved battery is only 1 or 2 yrs old).

I figuring DW will trade in her 23 yr old car once it gets too old so don't want to trade away a new battery.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Without key I got 12.3V. With key on I got 12.0V. So it's marginal.

I also noticed the lithium jump starter does not charge itself (3 out of 4 LEDs).
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

For my diesel truck with two big batteries, 850 CCA, I purchased two of these solar chargers with a splitter to run them both through the 12v. power outlet in the truck. They seem to do the job on a truck that get's driven once every 10 to 14 days or so.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My Miata used to do pretty well even if it sat unused for 2-3 months, until I put a new radio in. It must draw a little bit of a charge because it can no longer sit for a week or so. I bought this trickle charger that has worked great the last 1.5 years. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010NRKERI
I keep it connected to the Miata unless I'm pretty sure I'll be driving again in a few days.

A few years back I bought an Anker portable jump starter, that also works great as a mobile USB charger. It's no longer carried by Amazon but it still does the job for me. I have a calendar reminder to recharge it every 3 months, or proactively if I'm taking a driving trip.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #11

Yes, 6 years is rather old for a starter battery! My only vehicle is a camper van built on a Ford E350 chassis. The starter battery is fitted with a knife switch, which is very useful. Whenever I am not driving it, I use the switch to disconnect the battery. In a van this old (1993) there is probably not a lot of electronic stuff that is causing a residual draw, but completely disconnecting it when not in use can only help.

I suspect that your DW's car is parked inside but, if outside, a small solar panel parked on the dash and plugged into the cigarette lighter could help keep it topped up during long periods of disuse.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

DF’s truck doesn’t get driven very often. We attach a battery charger once it’s been two weeks.

If we know it’s not going to be used for a while we disconnect the battery.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #13

My wife's 370Z wouln't turn over about a month ago. I put a battery charger on it and it was drawing 5 amps after it was connected. After 24 hours, it was drawing less than one amp. The car started and we have not had any issues since. We just make sure that we use it at least once a week.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Back in March and April, our mandates specified that we couldn't leave home except for absolute necessities. The streets were empty and local authorities were stopping people who they suspected were violating the mandates. Like others here, we went for weeks without driving anywhere.

We were concerned about our car batteries. Once a week I ran my car's engine while it was sitting on the driveway, for long enough to keep the battery charged. Frank did the same with his car.

Now that mandates have relaxed, we go on pleasure drives nearly every day (plus now we can drive to our restaurant for lunch) so no run down batteries. My battery is just five years old so it is still in pretty good shape.

If we had a problem, Frank has one of those devices that plugs into the wall and can get the car started, but we haven't needed it for years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #15

I love "my" SUV, and dislike driving DW's sedan. Whenever we go out together I always drive. I make it a point to mix in a fair amount, but still less than half, of driving with DW's car for this very reason.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I used to leave my mainland car "abandoned" in my back yard. Battery was at least 3 years old when I started this non-recommended practice. No one started it and no one charged the battery for 9 months. It started that way for 3 years (sounded like a diesel, but the battery was fine.) When I could no longer open the passenger door (broken lock - cost to replace more than value of car) I virtually gave the car away. It "died" a year later when manual trans froze up due to never having been maintained (Oops! My bad.) But the battery was still good - a cheapo from Sams IIRC. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

With 4 cars/trucks and 2 boats, I sometimes will find a slightly run down battery. I keep a set of jumper cables and a good battery charger handy at all times.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #18

A Battery Tender Jr., or similar battery maintainer, can be a good idea if you don't drive your car regularly. $25 at Walmart or Amazon.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I try to take my car out at least once every other day for a short trip. I also do one long trip (30+ miles) each week whether I need to or not.

After a friend of mine spent several hundred dollars getting the mice out of his car and repairing the damage they did, I decided driving a bit even when not necessary is a good idea.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've been driving less since the onset of the zombie apocalypse pandemic. DW's Tahoe battery wasn't holding a charge. Isolated it to a vampire draw from the stereo. Temporary fix was to remove the "accessory" fuse. Well that caused the turn signal "clicker" to stop working. Turns out the "clicker" sound is piped thru the stereo speakers
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote