Keeping pests out of kitchen cabinets

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A few years ago I solicited ideas for a redesign of our first floor. They were awesome! We've since decided to stay with our current design, which includes a nearly 45 year old kitchen. The layout isn't terrible and I don't want to just toss everything and add to the landfill. The cabinets are solid, but just a little old fashioned in design.

I'm resigned to find a way to spruce up the finish of our semi-custom cabinets in the kitchen. That's another topic. What I recently discovered while working on some dishwasher drainage was that our cabinets are sealed terribly. Some have open backs and various holes. This allows pests of all sorts to have runways to work with. We have eliminated the mice. But... living in the southeast USA means we have, uh, roaches of various species. It just isn't possible to eliminate them unless you soak the home in pesticides, which is not my thing. They live outside and find a way in.

These old tyme cabinets stink. I'm working on fixing the totally open backs with various solutions (new panels, expanding foam). But what about the dishwasher drain/supply pass throughs?

Dishwashers fail on a regular basis now, so I want to be able to seal these pass-through holes with something temporary. I could put expanding foam in these holes, but it is a pain to cut out the next time a new dishwasher comes. And the installers will throw up their hands if they can't move the lines.

Any ideas on a good, secure way to seal these holes in a good, but removable way? Foam? Boards? Steel wool? What ideas do you have?

Picture below:

Attachments

• cabinethole.jpg
    cabinethole.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I use the spray foam insulation that comes in a can. Very easy to mold before it sets, and easy to cut/trim when it dries. I've never found it to be difficult to remove. Back in the day, mom would use steel wool.

But... living in the southeast USA means we have, uh, roaches of various species. It just isn't possible to eliminate them unless you soak the home in pesticides, which is not my thing. They live outside and find a way in.

They are very annoying. Around here they call them “palmetto bugs” but to me they are “cockroaches” and I’d had plenty of experience with them when living in the northeast.

One big difference is that the ones up north were super-fast and can scoot into the tiniest cracks (esp when lights are turned on). These palmetto bugs are much slower and you can chase them down. Getting rid of them is a different matter.

They are very annoying. Around here they call them “palmetto bugs” but to me they are “cockroaches” and I’d had plenty of experience with them when living in the northeast.

One big difference is that the ones up north were super-fast and can scoot into the tiniest cracks (esp when lights are turned on). These palmetto bugs are much slower and you can chase them down. Getting rid of them is a different matter.

That's our primary issue, not the german species. I've only seen a few of those and I think we vanquished them.

The dang Palmettos which live just outside in the crack between the house and deck. Barriers work against them, but it seems to be a constant rebuilding of the Maginot line.

I mean, could use spray foam, I guess I'm just looking for an alternative.

Oh, and ever see a palmetto fly? They can! Rarely. And it sucks when they do. They are drunken flyers. Nothing like having a roach fly into your face.

This is not my video, but it has played IRL in my house. :)

Use non-hardening modelling clay to fill the void. Easy to pull out when the appliance needs changing.

That's our primary issue, not the german species. I've only seen a few of those and I think we vanquished them.

The dang Palmettos which live just outside in the crack between the house and deck. Barriers work against them, but it seems to be a constant rebuilding of the Maginot line.

I mean, could use spray foam, I guess I'm just looking for an alternative.

Oh, and ever see a palmetto fly? They can! Rarely. And it sucks when they do. They are drunken flyers. Nothing like having a roach fly into your face.

I can’t say I’ve had that particular pleasure. Mine just run along the floor and hug the corners. If you do use some insecticide (Bayer, Ortho, etc) they’ll do a drunken death dance before going belly up.

I’ll be watching for any solutions, esp around dishwashers as you mention.

I’m not sure the Maginot Line worked too well for the French either. The palmettos would just reroute through Belgium.

https://youtu.be/hSSBQWbF7R8

Last edited:
Use non-hardening modelling clay to fill the void. Easy to pull out when the appliance needs changing.

I used this in exactly the same location as OP when I had an ant infestation. Threw some borax powder in there before I sealed the hole with the clay. That was the end of that.

Walmart sells not only steel wool, but also SS and copper wool pads. I would just stuff one of these into those openings.

Some of my yard art has copper wool pads stuffed into them to keep the wasp out of the cavities.

Have used copper mesh around pipes. Doesn't rust like steel wool.

Readily available on amazon.

Walmart sells not only steel wool, but also SS and copper wool pads. I would just stuff one of these into those openings.

Some of my yard art has copper wool pads stuffed into them to keep the wasp out of the cavities.

Thanks. Those are ideas I didn't think of and was looking for. Maybe a combo of each. Perfect! Thanks all.

Before you seal up the holes, put some food grade diatomaceous earth in a powder duster and puff some into the spaces behind the cabinets. That will kill anything with an exoskeleton that happens to wander around there in the future.

Building out pests, as you are suggesting to do, is the best approach. Palmetto Bugs (American Cockroaches) typically enter the house from the outside, as you also mentioned. Given this, I would pay attention to the smallest of openings on the outside and and apply a physical barrier of your choosing. And if it were me in, a couple of times per year, I would the perimeter of the outside of the house.

Finally, just as an added measurement, I would place baits under sinks and if you see them in other places, place baits there. Appreciate that baits are the best approach but not the fastest. So, you may see them and maybe even more of them at first as they are munching on the bait, their last meal.

Back
Top Bottom