Join Early Retirement Today

Keys to Happiness
Old 09-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Keys to Happiness

Applying your God-given talents in pursuit of your passion in an environment you enjoy.

Having something to do, someone to love, and something to look forward to (FIRE, oh yeah!)

Add yours?
Gerbil Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some 'happiness' quotes...
  • Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
  • Choose your life’s mate carefully. From this one decision will come ninety percent of all your happiness or misery.
  • In almost every culture where happiness has been studied, it comes down to four things: employment, family, health and money. Richard Easterlin
  • Money won't buy you happiness, but it makes being miserable a whole lot easier.
  • We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have. Frederick Koenig
  • All the happiness there is in this world comes from thinking about others, and all the suffering comes from preoccupation with yourself. Shantideva
  • Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves. Helen Keller
  • If you want true peace, happiness and joy, you need to realize that happiness and satisfaction come from within you and stop searching so fanatically outside. You can never find real happiness out there. Whoever has? Ven. Robina Courtin

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

^ I like those, thanks for sharing!
Gerbil Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

A little song...
A little dance...
A little seltzer...
Down my pants...

Old 09-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To me, the foundation of happiness is financial independence. There is no peace of mind without it. If you are dependent on the whims of the labor market (not the theoretical one in economics books but the real one as real people conduct it), you will eventually have your soul sucked out through your nostrils.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:53 AM   #6

These two quotes say it all :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
  • All the happiness there is in this world comes from thinking about others, and all the suffering comes from preoccupation with yourself. Shantideva

• Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves. Helen Keller
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

For me it will be no longer having to work in a job I dislike. I guess that really is the end of misery more than it is hapiness.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'd have to say that for me, it is ice cream.

And being rid of my slave masters / baby sitters.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
  • Choose your life’s mate carefully. From this one decision will come ninety percent of all your happiness or misery.
Boy howdy...

A crisp fall day, a few friends, some adult beverages...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Amazon.com: Handbook To Higher Consciousness (9780940687134): Ken Keyes: Books

read the guide
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #11

Genetics. A recent article in The Economist reported a strong correlation to one's genetic make up. So maybe there is a 'happy gene'. Why not, there certainly seems to be a correlation in family depression.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
To me, the foundation of happiness is financial independence. There is no peace of mind without it. If you are dependent on the whims of the labor market (not the theoretical one in economics books but the real one as real people conduct it), you will eventually have your soul sucked out through your nostrils.
I would respectfully disagree. Some of the happiest people you will ever find have virtually no means at all (though you will have to look outside the USA to see it)...financial independence is a recent phenomena in history, happiness predates FI by centuries.

OTOH there are plenty of people who are financially independent many times over, yet they are absolutely miserable. You can read about them in any gossip rag.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
And then, of course, there are those who find happiness in thinking about the suffering of others. Sadly, many of them seem to be related to me.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

"If you are not happy with what you have, imagine not having it."
Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I think one secret of happiness is to try to purge envy from your attitude set.

Ha
Old 09-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think one secret of happiness is to try to purge envy from your attitude set.

Ha

I don't envy anyone, I'm very happy with everything at this stage of life. Everyone seems to want something they don't have. But what's the old saying "don't wish for something, you may get it"
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #17

I enjoy this blog:
The Happiness Project
chris2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #18

Quote:
I would respectfully disagree. Some of the happiest people you will ever find have virtually no means at all (though you will have to look outside the USA to see it)...financial independence is a recent phenomena in history, happiness predates FI by centuries.

OTOH there are plenty of people who are financially independent many times over, yet they are absolutely miserable. You can read about them in any gossip rag.
I couldn't agree with you more. Having lived in the developing world for a bit, I can tell you that most of them are quite happy. I think a lot of unhappiness comes from expectations and lack of contentment. Since many people in other countries have much less to aspire to in terms of material comforts (think Europe as well), they tend to be more contented. Americans are on a perpetual quest to improve their financial health and general "well-being". I wouldn't be surprised if a large percentage of us are unhappy.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Genetics. A recent article in The Economist reported a strong correlation to one's genetic make up. So maybe there is a 'happy gene'. Why not, there certainly seems to be a correlation in family depression.

I agree that genetics is around 60% of everything an individual is. Some psychologists at a University or research center put together a study of what percentage of characteristics are inherited vs. nurture/environment--which I don't have access to anymore and wish I did--but the breakdown came very generally speaking to a 60-40% split with genetics being the 60%. Thanks for bringing that up, Yakers!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #20
gone traveling

I've never been happy, however I am contented.

Good enough for me...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote