Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Since we're all pretty much anonymous, I figured I could bring up this discussion here and get some realistic answers without feeling the need to be competitive with other parents.
My son, who is a sophomore in high school just got back his ACT results. His scores, in my estimation, were surprisingly high. I'm just wondering for those of you with kids in college recently, or preparing for such, what types of scores on the SAT or ACT did you find necessary to qualify for the schools? I realize there are other factors (as I just went through this last year with my daughter. i.e. grades, activities, public service), but I believe I undersold my daughter's value and she may have been able to qualify for some schools I didn't reach for.
So, in essence, my question is....what did it take to get your child into their university?
You should really get one of those college admission magazines put out every year by US News & World Report ( i think that's the one?). They have the score range listed for all the colleges/universities. Colleges look at the broader picture than just test scores. And every admissions team has a slightly different approach. Often they are hoping to bring a wide range of students who will create an interesting and stimulating environment. Universities, espec. state, will go by the statistics.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
You should really get one of those college admission magazines put out every year by US News & World Report ( i think that's the one?). They have the score range listed for all the colleges/universities. Colleges look at the broader picture than just test scores. And every admissions team has a slightly different approach. Often they are hoping to bring a wide range of students who will create an interesting and stimulating environment. Universities, espec. state, will go by the statistics.
You can see it online too.
USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2008: National Universities

There's some free info, and for $15 each year you can see more details, notably the rankings in various categories. We found it moderately helpful
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I took the ACT 3 times and got a best score of 18. All state university's in my state require at least a 19 for admittance. That's why i'm stuck working in a factory for 30 years.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I took the ACT 3 times and got a best score of 18. All state university's in my state require at least a 19 for admittance. That's why i'm stuck working in a factory for 30 years.
Well that's your choice, there are other avenues for you to take..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Yeah, you're perfectly suited to run for Governor of New York!
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Other than car sales, which doesn't follow my personality, what avenues do you speak of. Don't say pro poker player or business owner. 95% of people who play poker lose money and to be a business owner you have to have money to start a business.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #47

You could be an investment advisor! Do you have a heart of stone?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
You could be an investment advisor! Do you have a heart of stone?
I would love to do that. That's what I would go to school for if I could get into a university. But you need a degree and a certification to do that don't you.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Community college would be an option. Maybe not no much back then, but certainly now. And my point of posting this is to mention an option for kids today, not to disparage a choice you made 30 years ago.

All but one sibling out of the 6 siblings or nieces or nephews of mine that did not go to college took or are taking some coursework to get some kind of associates degree or certification.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #50

Quote:
I would love to do that. That's what I would go to school for if I could get into a university. But you need a degree and a certification to do that don't you.
Are you out of your ever loving mind?!!!! Have you looked at the market lately? Go get a reputable job, like a CFO for Countrywide or Governor of NY.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Other than car sales, which doesn't follow my personality, what avenues do you speak of. Don't say pro poker player or business owner. 95% of people who play poker lose money and to be a business owner you have to have money to start a business.
I assume you have a high school degree or GED,right? Go find something you like or have an interest in and get an associates degree in it, or get certified in something like Microsoft or whatever.

A LOT of folks get into a UW school by doing a junior college or tech college and taking college transfer courses, if you get any kind of grades, you'll get into a UW system school............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

In 1998, I got a 1450 on the SAT (didn't take the ACT). I applied to several selective but small liberal arts schools and got into them all. I wanted to apply to one school that was more of a "name brand," but my mother wouldn't let me because she didn't think I'd get in.

I was happy with the college I chose, but I still wish I'd at least applied to my dream college. I'll echo the advice of others here--your son should apply to at least one "reach" school--and add this: if there's a school he wants to apply to, let him no matter how unlikely it seems that he'll get in or how much you wouldn't want him to go there.

aworkingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote