Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
You want a legal battle over the difference in cost between a kid's meal and an adult's meal? Doesn't that seem excessive?

Wouldn't you be better served taking your business somewhere else? Perhaps some place that either will sell a kid's meal to an adult or give them a sufficient senior citizen discount?
First, I am not in any legal battle... I am just trying to hold a company to the law (again, if I am right)... and no, it is not excessive IMO... a kids meal is about $5 and and adult meal (admittedly with more food) is over $10... multiply that by 4 people and you are talking $20 more to eat...

I am taking my business somewhere else... this is not mutually exclusive... I can do both....

And it is people who actually try and hold companies to the law that helps everybody out... if nobody complained then companies would be much worse than they are...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I was just looking at my NPS Senior pass which I bought for $10 a few years ago. It gets me into all National Parks for FREE for the rest of my life. All because I am 62+. Today, that pass is still a screaming deal even at $80 if one visits the National Parks with any regularity.

Somehow, not being able to buy a kid's meal seems like a small price to pay for that benefit.
I do not know why others keep trying to attach some other purchase or offer with a meal... they have nothing to do with each other...

If the law says they have to sell to an adult even if it is listed as a kids meal then they should sell it.... period... no need to go to national parks or 55+ communities etc. etc...

I will give another example.... DS rented a room in a shared apt. at college... there were 2 other roommates (could be up to 4 if you want) who share the kitchen and living room, but each has their own bedroom and shower (some have shared shower).... I asked if this was limited to college students.... I was told no... it is against the law for them to limit it to a college student even though that is what is being advertised.... they had no problem following the law but was not pushing for non-college people to rent....
Old 02-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I do not know why others keep trying to attach some other purchase or offer with a meal... they have nothing to do with each other...

If the law says they have to sell to an adult even if it is listed as a kids meal then they should sell it.... period... no need to go to national parks or 55+ communities etc. etc...
I don't want to get into an argument about this. My point, which I obviously failed to make, is that if we get people thinking to hard about age based prices/discount, we might find that we (the old folks) end up getting the short stick.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I don't want to get into an argument about this. My point, which I obviously failed to make, is that if we get people thinking to hard about age based prices/discount, we might find that we (the old folks) end up getting the short stick.
A legit argument... but a good number of them are legal so should not be a concern...
Old 02-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

If we can't agree on what to split we take the leftovers home for the next day. Some places have senior meals. I wouldn't waste my time trying to prove them wrong.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Just read a article about McDonalds kids menu and why they don't want adults ordering from it. McDonald's want families to come in and eat so to get families in the door they offer kids meals that make little profit but hope to make more profit when the adults order regular priced items. If adults only purchased kids menu items McDonald's profits would be way down. Which means that they will have to raise the regular menu items prices to make up for the loss. Same goes for restaurants as well. So what you are doing and want all restaurant's to do is going to make me and others pay a higher price for regular menu items. But I guess it is all about you and what you want to knit pick, maybe you should find another hobby.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefullyoneday View Post
Just read a article about McDonalds kids menu and why they don't want adults ordering from it. McDonald's want families to come in and eat so to get families in the door they offer kids meals that make little profit but hope to make more profit when the adults order regular priced items. If adults only purchased kids menu items McDonald's profits would be way down. Which means that they will have to raise the regular menu items prices to make up for the loss. Same goes for restaurants as well. So what you are doing and want all restaurant's to do is going to make me and others pay a higher price for regular menu items. But I guess it is all about you and what you want to knit pick, maybe you should find another hobby.

No, it is following the law...

BTW, my sister said they do not post an age limit at McD so anybody can buy with their rules.... and the sum of the items is cheaper than the meal... I had this argument with my DD many times...
Old 02-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
McDonald's want families to come in and eat so to get families in the door they offer kids meals that make little profit but hope to make more profit when the adults order regular priced items.
That was my suspicion: kids' meals and senior meals are loss leaders, or at least lower-profit than full meals. The profit % is higher on regular meals because it doesn't cost them twice as much in labor and other overhead to serve a meal with twice the quantity of ingredients (which I figure is also the reason regular meals have such gargantuan portions). They're meant to bring in people who otherwise wouldn't be there, or who come in off-hours (such as early-bird specials).

Most of the time the "Kids' Menu" items I see are pretty limited- a burger, chicken fingers or macaroni and cheese in a place with a far more varied regular menu. My granddaughter is almost 4 and we've always given her shares of whatever we order- so she eats stuffed mushrooms, pickles, broccoli, even crab legs. About the only thing she avoids is highly-spiced foods. Her one-year old sister is already scarfing down my Cincinnati Chili.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Fudd used to offer a senior meal that was very similar to a kids meal, my Mom got it all the time, but we haven't been there in a while so maybe that has been discontinued, or maybe it was only at a certain location - the one near Taste of Texas in Houston - lots of changes since they were bought out a few years ago.
HtownRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:10 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
No, it is following the law...

BTW, my sister said they do not post an age limit at McD so anybody can buy with their rules.... and the sum of the items is cheaper than the meal... I had this argument with my DD many times...
I never said it was against the law, and you have yet shown a law. I said they would rather you not and the reason why.
So no matter what anyone says you are still going to dispute it so my next and last 30 seconds wasting on this useless thread is to find the ignore button. Next time I am in a restaurant and hear someone complaining it will probably be you.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I never said it was against the law, and you have yet shown a law. I said they would rather you not and the reason why.
So no matter what anyone says you are still going to dispute it so my next and last 30 seconds wasting on this useless thread is to find the ignore button. Next time I am in a restaurant and hear someone complaining it will probably be you.

Probably not... I do not complain that much... but you think whatever you want without knowing me....
Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I really hadn't noticed if our favorite restaurant has kids' meals. I think today I will look for that on the menu, and if they look good I might order one and see what happens! What, me, stir the pot at our favorite restaurant? "More at eleven", as the saying goes.

They aren't going to want to upset us, because we go there so often and tip more than some do. They always greet us and treat us like visiting royalty. Should be interesting.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

As I said, I would post whatever I found out...

Finally was able to talk to somebody at a state agency... she was a nice lady...

I had asked if there was a law saying that if something was on a menu did they have to sell it to anybody (kids meal bought by an adult)... she said she had heard this before but was not aware of any state law preventing them from only selling to kids... she said as far as the state is concerned that they can refuse to sell to anybody the wish... so if they did not want to sell me an adult meal there was nothing I could do...

She did say that she was not aware if there was a county law or a city law that might address this, but she could look into it for me... I said it was not worth it to me to waste state resources for this as I was not going to be going back anyhow.... and I am not willing to try and find someone else to call...

I thanked her for her help...

So, I will say it looks like what I had heard is a wife's tale.... but not law...
Old 02-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

We almost always share meals or order appetizers.The portions are horrendous at most restaurants and I dislike leftovers .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We always order drinks if we split a meal and that is where the profit is for most places and we tip well. However, most times we get our own entree and then have leftovers which is great.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
You want a legal battle over the difference in cost between a kid's meal and an adult's meal? Doesn't that seem excessive?
Are you actually retired yet? This is what we do!
Old 02-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lets just pass a law that says anyone over 55 gets free restaurant meals! But then, I guess, the folks under 55 would complain. Free restaurant meals for everyone!
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #38
Administrator

and on the flip side of the coin...

We were recently in an all day breakfast sort of place. My DH ordered the kids French toast plate (2 pieces toast, 1 slice bacon, sliced fruit) and they asked if he also wanted the crayons and paper coloring place mat. Yes! Absolutely! We had a great time with the crayons waiting for the food to arrive.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I really hadn't noticed if our favorite restaurant has kids' meals. I think today I will look for that on the menu, and if they look good I might order one and see what happens! What, me, stir the pot at our favorite restaurant? "More at eleven", as the saying goes.
They DO have kids' meals on that menu! But none that I wanted to order. A plain white bread and American cheese sandwich, a kid-sized cheese only pizza, meatballs with marinara (that costs as much as an adult meal), and one other unappetizing choice that I have forgotten. I would say that overall, the kids' menu sounded exceedingly bland, plain, and overpriced for what you get. So, we split an order from the adult side of the menu.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Are you actually retired yet? This is what we do!
Yes, I am retired.
Don't say "we". That's not what I do.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote