Join Early Retirement Today

Kids meals
Old 02-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kids meals

OK... when we take out my 98 YO mom we almost always buy her a kids meal... usually the same with my 75 YO sister... sometimes even me...

Well, some places say if you buy as an adult they charge extra... OK, that is fine... but today we went to Fuddruckers and was told 'you have to be 12 or under to order one'...

Now, I have heard and read before that in Texas the law is they cannot refuse to sell one to an adult, that it is only a suggestion... but I have been looking for that law and cannot find it...

Anybody have an idea of where it might be hiding?

Also, what state agency do I report them?

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 04:04 PM   #2

I'd find a different restaurant that appreciates my business more....

Old 02-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
+1

And maybe I'd politely, calmly inform the manager of that Fuddruckers of your displeasure and your intention of never returning, before looking for that different restaurant.

Honestly I always thought it was very unfair that grownups could not eat kiddie meals, but it never occurred to me to order one or contest it. Good for you!
Old 02-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
In TX it would probably be the State Railroad Commission...

I've become a social vegan - I avoid meet

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We are doing that... we were leaning that way anyhow as the kids portions were getting less... we did leave and did not order from them and told mgr why...

As to why we were leaning on not going in the future.... last time there were 2 chicken strips instead of 3... and they told me it was always 2... I said 'then why have I always gotten 3 all the other times I have ordered?'....

Also, the sliced apples were a total of 4 slices... and also 4 onion rings even though I had to pay 1.35 more to get them over fries..

Still have to go as I do have 3 $25 gift cards with them unless I unload them as gifts...

But what I WANT to do is send an email to corporate with the law as they said corp is cracking down on them to only sell to kids.... and see what I get back from them....
Old 02-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What Wahoo said. Or maybe the ATF? I always thought that "Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms" would be a great name for a convenience store... Not so much a fed agency.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In TX it would probably be the State Railroad Commission...
The Texas RRC only regulates oil & gas operations.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The Texas RRC only regulates oil & gas operations.
Guess it has been a while since you ate one of those kids meals.

I've become a social vegan - I avoid meet

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I think I'd stay home and eat PBJ sandwiches! Those are the best kids' meals around!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've ordered kids meals through the drive through and never had anybody question it. I did get a questionable look when I used to take my cat and order at the Dairy Queen drive-up window.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I will do something similar often when we can agree on what to eat. Not kids meals but will split an entree, or buy a large poboy rather than paying a few bucks more for 2 small ones. Of course we've run into a few places that charge for splitting the meal, most don't.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love kids meals, just order them through drive through. Dairy Queen let me order a banana instead of fries and you got a dilly bar.. that was the best. Someplace else gave you mandarin oranges.. ie I way prefer fruit over potatoes and I considered it a deal. I haven't eaten fast food in like 5 years but that's what I use to eat on road trips. I'd also order the chocolate milk.

It makes no sense to limit it to a specific age range, they are either making money on the deal or they are not.. fast food isn't selling millions of happy meals as a loss leader. I can't imagine Fuddruckers is either.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I love kids meals, just order them through drive through. Dairy Queen let me order a banana instead of fries and you got a dilly bar.. that was the best. Someplace else gave you mandarin oranges.. ie I way prefer fruit over potatoes and I considered it a deal. I haven't eaten fast food in like 5 years but that's what I use to eat on road trips. I'd also order the chocolate milk.

It makes no sense to limit it to a specific age range, they are either making money on the deal or they are not.. fast food isn't selling millions of happy meals as a loss leader. I can't imagine Fuddruckers is either.

Yea, McD does not have an age limit... at least I have not seen one...

A Mexican place we go to says it will add $1 if someone over 13 buys a kids meal... I am fine with that since it is listed... but I do think I had seen where it is illegal to NOT sell one if you have on the menu...
Old 02-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

why waste your time just go somewhere else and give them your business.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #15

At 45 years old, did you try to move into a 55+ retirement community? I get the logic of age discrimination, but there must be exceptions or how could 55+ communities exist. If it's clear on their menu, I don't see how they're breaking any law.

As was mentioned, think about splitting a meal. Me and DW do that. I agree, the standard menu item at most places is way too much food for either of us. Thankfully, DW also is fine with leftovers (me, not so much) so she'll get a couple meals out of one. Personally, I do wish there were better options on more menus. I'm pretty sure Bob Evans has a senior section to it's menu where the portions are smaller along with the price. Point is, there are options that are easier and less stressful to you than pursuing this with a letter pointing to a law.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
At 45 years old, did you try to move into a 55+ retirement community? I get the logic of age discrimination, but there must be exceptions or how could 55+ communities exist. If it's clear on their menu, I don't see how they're breaking any law.

As was mentioned, think about splitting a meal. Me and DW do that. I agree, the standard menu item at most places is way too much food for either of us. Thankfully, DW also is fine with leftovers (me, not so much) so she'll get a couple meals out of one. Personally, I do wish there were better options on more menus. I'm pretty sure Bob Evans has a senior section to it's menu where the portions are smaller along with the price. Point is, there are options that are easier and less stressful to you than pursuing this with a letter pointing to a law.

We also get many meals and take home leftovers for a second... however, hamburgers do not lend themselves to this IMO...

As to the law, from what I remember reading there is a law against them selling to any customer anything they have on the menu... they put an age to discourage others from buying this, but as I said I think the law prevents them from not selling... the rule does allow them to list an up charge if someone older does buy this....

I have never tried, but I would think this would also apply to senior meals... I once bought a senior meal when I was in my 40s not knowing it was a senior meal... it came with less food... I was happy with what I got...

This is not like a senior home, or even a movie where they can sell to you or not based on age... the law (if I am right) only applies to food service establishments...

If I can find the law I will put it down... if I find I am wrong I will do so also... if I find nothing... well, then nothing....
Old 02-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Now, I have heard and read before that in Texas the law is they cannot refuse to sell one to an adult, that it is only a suggestion... but I have been looking for that law and cannot find it...

Anybody have an idea of where it might be hiding?

You want a legal battle over the difference in cost between a kid's meal and an adult's meal? Doesn't that seem excessive?

Wouldn't you be better served taking your business somewhere else? Perhaps some place that either will sell a kid's meal to an adult or give them a sufficient senior citizen discount?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #18
gone traveling

I've never thought of ordering from the kid's menu. I rarely have large bacon double cheeseburgers like I used to when I was younger, but most places that have a kid's menu also have some sort of "value menu" that offers smaller portions.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

You (or someone close to you) could post about this on Twitter or other social media and I bet the restaurant would be in touch with you. Why not make the items be both kids and seniors? We’ve gotten kids’ meals from other restaurants as carryouts—the restaurants don’t know how old the people are who will be eating them.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I was just looking at my NPS Senior pass which I bought for $10 a few years ago. It gets me into all National Parks for FREE for the rest of my life. All because I am 62+. Today, that pass is still a screaming deal even at $80 if one visits the National Parks with any regularity.

Somehow, not being able to buy a kid's meal seems like a small price to pay for that benefit.