Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you a parent and/or step-parent?
I am female, and a mother or step-mother or both 20 17.24%
I am female, and not a mother or step-mother 22 18.97%
I am male, and a father or step-father or both 41 35.34%
I am male and not a father or step-father 33 28.45%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two girls. Both are intelligent and athletic. Older one captained the university figure skating team before starting on a Ph. D in Molecular biology. Younger one captained the University ice Hockey team before studying law. Each has an SO who is an engineer.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Kindergarten report card: "Does not work and play well with others."
+1

I have a son, 29yo. If marriage #1 had been much better, might have even had another kiddo.

Wouldn't give him back, but am glad he is on his own. Love dogs and cats, too, but don't have any.

I get sensory overload when I don't have enough alone time...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
+1. I endure children and love dogs. We run our lives around our animals. And our lives are good indeed. Another dog, perhaps, for you?
I immediately wanted another but my wife said no as it was too much pain when they leave. After a year of waiting, I am agreeing now. I still *really* miss Emily Ann.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Mike, all our relationships are like that, though. You just hope the pleasure of their company was worth it.
On a major thread hijack (my specialty), I was thinking about your feelings and those of many I've spoken to over the years who can't bear to replace a beloved animal. I was thinking that the older we get, the narrower our worldview and social circle can become, through distance or inattention. It just becomes too much trouble, somehow.

My parents used to have tons of friends, threw wonderful parties, and went out all the time. In the past year, their world has narrowed to just the two of them. They are bitter and angry much of the time and no one really wants to be around them. I just wonder which came first, the bitterness or the lack of close relationships.

This isn't any sort of relationship to what you were saying, except that they said rather bitterly that they don't want to go through the sadness of losing animals any more, either. I think they would benefit greatly from even that interaction with another sentient being, but don't see it happening.

Hmmm....okay, that is all the musing I can manage for Monday morning. But, please consider another pet--there is one out there that needs you, I promise! Maybe even two!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #45

Quote:
Hmmm....okay, that is all the musing I can manage for Monday morning. But, please consider another pet--there is one out there that needs you, I promise! Maybe even two!
I felt quite similar to Mike after losing my previous lab but eventually changed my mind -- I decided to adopt an adult lab that needed a good home. I went almost two years without but so glad I found another that is a great fit for my lifestyle.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My parents used to have tons of friends, threw wonderful parties, and went out all the time. In the past year, their world has narrowed to just the two of them. They are bitter and angry much of the time and no one really wants to be around them. I just wonder which came first, the bitterness or the lack of close relationships.
I've been through several spells of this over the past 30 years. When I started a Megaconglomocorp, I made lots of new friends, many of them single guys just out of school. As time went on, some got married, some moved to other companies, and stuff happened. Or, I'd have a girlfriend, and get to know her group, then the relationship would end, and a block of "friends" would disappear. Of course, being INTJ, I'm pretty good at keeping myself entertained, but it's still nice to have a gang to hang with, have dinner with, go to movies and concerts with, and it does take an effort to keep old friendships going, and even more effort to find new friends.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In the past year, their world has narrowed to just the two of them. They are bitter and angry much of the time and no one really wants to be around them. I just wonder which came first, the bitterness or the lack of close relationships.
This isn't any sort of relationship to what you were saying, except that they said rather bitterly that they don't want to go through the sadness of losing animals any more, either. I think they would benefit greatly from even that interaction with another sentient being, but don't see it happening.
Hunh, I thought you were talking about my parents-in-law. Perhaps we should get together and throw the foursome a party...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
We would also count ourselves as living around and for our Dogs. Children in general should be seen (rarely) and not heard. However we were really looking forward to growing old being able to commiserate with our one and only Son. He was turning out to be a truly first class human being as an adult. Tragically he was killed exactly a year ago at age 26. We will never get over it. We think about him every day. There is a permanent hole in the fabric of the space time continuum without Christopher in this world. If I could go back and make the choice to have or have not now? Have! The memories also make us smile inside and out everyday along with the hurt. I have in this paragraph spoke/wrote about this more than I have ever since he died. Time does not heel everything. Chris liked to play golf, a game I don't understand, he learned it from his Grandfather who also recently died. They both laughingly taught me the term "Mulligan". I could really use one right now.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

JonnyM, posts like yours leave me wishing I could think of something meaningful to say. Wish I had a Mulligan to give you...
Old 06-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

JonnyM,

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #51

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
John Donne

All we can do as human beings is accept and share the pain of our fellows
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote