Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

I have the Voyage and love it. It is lighter, and the sensors on each side used to go forward or back are a nice addition.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
ritaillinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Kindle Paperwhite
Old 11-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kindle Paperwhite

The Kindle present arrived today. I am so pleased. I hope it gives pleasure year-round.

I also got the case that springnr recommended. I can't see it because it's wrapped, so it'll be a surprise for me on Christmas too!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Kindle Paperwhite
Old 12-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Kindle Paperwhite

The new Paperwhite (and case) were presented on Christmas Day and much appreciated.

When I finally saw the case, I was kind of jealous, it's so slick! But it's getting a good home.

Great comments and pointers!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

The case is a well engineered product, glad it worked for you.
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #45

Well, I have to say I gave in to temptation.
During a trip last month I accidentally got a very noticeable scratch in the screen of my Paperwhite (I foolishly didn't have any sort of cover for it).

So I treated myself to a Xmas present of the new Kindle Voyage.
I absolutely LOVE IT!!!

The page turning routine is even better than the Paperwhite, although it still handles the same system if you like it.

Plus I got this wonderful case for it
Amazon.com: Amazon Protective Cover for Kindle Voyage, Black: Kindle Store
that protects it beautifully, closes with a magnet and turns it on/off by opening/closing it, and folds itself into a great tabletop stand.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Kindle Paperwhite
Old 01-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Kindle Paperwhite

This has very little, but some, to do with the subject, but that doesn't stop me.

Going full circle: the Kindle gift recipient surprised me on Christmas with a nice (and completely unexpected) coffee grinder that I love and use daily.

So it's smiles all around and now I got me a great cuppa joe with which to enjoy my still-loved Paperwhite with which this thread began.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was just noticing that while I have a Kindle paperwhite that I like and have used a lot, I seem to have switched over to using my new iPad Air 2 for reading lately.

The iPad is much lighter than my old iPad (which seemed too heavy to hold for extended reading sessions) and I like its crisp bright display for reading. The iPad is a nice even brightness, while the paper white's illumination isn't even.

Of course I'm doing my reading inside this winter, so I'll have to see if the iPad Air 2 has improved its usability for reading outside when the weather gets better.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I'll have to see if the iPad Air 2 has improved its usability for reading outside when the weather gets better.
You'll be surprised at how much better it is than the older iPad. I certainly was.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Kindle Paperwhite
Old 06-16-2022, 02:09 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Kindle Paperwhite

I’m baaack.

Prime Day is coming up and I remain a faithful user of my ancient Paperwhite.

It looks like the 11th gen is current. Anyone had experience? Yes/No?

Wireless charging is tempting me.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I inherited one that DW wasn't using and to be honest, I rarely use it too.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:16 PM   #51

I like my waterproof Kindle Paperwhite but only use it for 2 things -
Reading in the pool or at the beach, or traveling. The rest of the time, I use my iPad. Still, I’m glad I have it.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Kindle Paperwhite
Old 06-17-2022, 05:57 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Kindle Paperwhite

Thanks for the comments. I think I’ll go ahead and order a new one on Prime Day. They’re not expensive to begin with so a bit of a discount is welcome.

I use my Paperwhite daily and have mostly succeeded in getting physical books out of the house (difficult to box and move! Same thing with music CDs which are now finally digitized and imported into Apple Music, another tedious chore but well worth the effort).

I also found some open source software (Calibre) that does a good job of converting PDFs to Kindle format so things like manuals are on the Paperwhite are easy to get to when needed and portable.

I wish it were easier to lend Kindle titles to others, though. Haven’t found a way to do that.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:19 AM   #53

Have you received this email from Amazon about discontinuing accepting MOBI formatted documents? I use Calibre too and convert things to MOBI in order to read on my Kindle, but looks like I will need to start converting to EPUB instead since they will now accept that format.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Dear Kindle Customer,

Thank you for using the Send to Kindle service to send personal documents to your Kindle library. We wanted to let you know that starting August 2022, you’ll no longer be able to send MOBI (.mobi, .azw) files to your library. Any MOBI files already in your Kindle library will not be affected by this change.

MOBI is an older file format and won’t support the newest Kindle features for documents. Any existing MOBI files you want to read with our most up-to-date features for documents will need to be re-sent in a compatible file format.

Also, compatible formats now include EPUB (.epub), which you can send to your library using your Send to Kindle email address. We’ll also be adding EPUB support to the free Kindle app for iOS and Android devices and the Send to Kindle desktop app for PC and Mac.

If you have any questions, please visit our help page or contact our Customer Service team.

Regards,
The Kindle Team
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:19 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I am probably going to order a new paperwhite on prime day too if they are on special. My paperwhite is the 10th gen, purchased in dec 2020 but it is unreadable now due to something called "ghost touch". The screen will randomly flip to different pages, change the font, sometimes several times in a few seconds, then it will be ok for a minute. It isn't dirt, or anything, it is clean (I cleaned it three times trying to see). I guess the sensing chip is glitching. Interesting that if you manage to get to a book page and select turn off touch screen it works fine, except the only thing you can do is hard swipe the screen with your finger to turn a page...but it doesn't double detect that or anything, it is just very annoying to have to hard swipe across the whole screen.

Too bad they didn't include a sensitivity setting...throwing away a perfectly good paperwhite over touch issues seems wrong.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:51 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Have you received this email from Amazon about discontinuing accepting MOBI formatted documents? I use Calibre too and convert things to MOBI in order to read on my Kindle, but looks like I will need to start converting to EPUB instead since they will now accept that format.

This is new to me. It’s been a while since I needed to move converted titles and, as I recall, Calibre could do the job if the Paperwhite was connected by cable to the computer.

Kindle Paperwhite
Old 06-17-2022, 06:55 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Kindle Paperwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I am probably going to order a new paperwhite on prime day too if they are on special.

[…]

Too bad they didn't include a sensitivity setting...throwing away a perfectly good paperwhite over touch issues seems wrong.
Disconcerting! I’d better hang on to my older Kindle until I’m sure a new one doesn’t have such issues.

I’m hoping to donate the old one. I’m sure there are plenty of people who would appreciate it.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:16 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Dear Kindle Customer,

Thank you for using the Send to Kindle service to send personal documents to your Kindle library. We wanted to let you know that starting August 2022, you’ll no longer be able to send MOBI (.mobi, .azw) files to your library. Any MOBI files already in your Kindle library will not be affected by this change.

MOBI is an older file format and won’t support the newest Kindle features for documents. Any existing MOBI files you want to read with our most up-to-date features for documents will need to be re-sent in a compatible file format.

Also, compatible formats now include EPUB (.epub), which you can send to your library using your Send to Kindle email address. We’ll also be adding EPUB support to the free Kindle app for iOS and Android devices and the Send to Kindle desktop app for PC and Mac.

If you have any questions, please visit our help page or contact our Customer Service team.

Regards,

The Kindle Team
I interpret this to mean you can no longer use the email feature of sending .mobi and .azw files to your Kindle library. But does it mean you can no longer transfer these types of files directly to your Kindle's memory via USB connection?

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:30 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
I interpret this to mean you can no longer use the email feature of sending .mobi and .azw files to your Kindle library. But does it mean you can no longer transfer these types of files directly to your Kindle's memory via USB connection?
I don't know. On one hand I think it may only be on the documents you email to Kindle (which is how I do it) and on the other hand it says MOBI files will no longer supported. So I am in wait and see mode. But, regardless, it's a heads-up to Kindle users.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 06-17-2022, 07:40 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been using an iPad to read books downloaded free from our local library. Some come in kindle format and download from Amazon. Some come in other formats and use different software to download. Do the Kindle readers only work with books downloaded from Amazon? What file types can they read? Guess I shouldn't be lazy and Google that question. A better question; Has anyone found library book downloads that the Kindle reader can't display?
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:47 AM   #60

https://www.coywolf.news/productivit...indle-support/

Updated May 5, 2022: Amazon adds Send to Kindle support for EPUB and drops support for MOBI and AZW.

Several years ago, I found an ebook online that used the EPUB format when I got my first Kindle. I wanted to download it, but I first needed to verify if Kindle supported it. It ended up that it didn’t support it, but it was possible to convert it to Amazon’s MOBI format.

In 2022, Amazon discontinued support for its MOBI and AZW formats, but added support for EPUB, sort of. Existing MOBI and AZW files will be converted to the KF8 (.azw3) format but can no longer be emailed or sent to a Kindle library. EPUB files can be emailed or sent to a Kind library, but they will be automatically converted to KF8 files.

Supported Kindle Formats
These are all of the file formats you can use on a Kindle in 2022.

Amazon KF8 ebook (.azw3)
Amazon Print Replica ebook (.azw4)
EPUB ebook (.epub)
Unprotected PRC ebook (.prc)
PDF document (.pdf)
Microsoft Word document (.doc, .docx)
Rich Text Format document (.rtf)
Plain Text document (.txt)
HTML page (.htm, .html)
JPEG image (.jpg, .jpeg)
PNG image (.png)
BMP image (.bmp)
GIF image (.gif)

If you have an ebook format that Kindle doesn’t support, you can usually convert it to a compatible format if it’s not protected by digital rights management (DRM). For example, you can convert an unsupported ebook format to Amazon’s KF8 (.azw3) format using Kindle Create, Calibre, or Convertio.