King Oscar Mediterranean Style Sardines Umm Good

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The King Oscar double row sardines in olive oil that I always bought jumped price recently. My prior 30 year style was King Oscar in Sild oil which appear to be hard to find in US recently. I guess not too many sild oil aficionados left stateside. So for about 6 months or so I have been eating these Mediterranean style fishies. For me, six months of sardines is a lot of sardines, so I think I have given them enough of a trial to recommend them even to this to this discerning crowd. And the friendly lady in the entertaining video down the Amazon page seems to agree. I always marinate a can's worth in wine vinegar before I go to bed to have ready for lunch the next day. I don't necessarily eat these every day, but in the vinegar they will keep a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/King-Oscar-S...ing=UTF8&refRID=8KHZBHP8RSAHGAZ1QM7D&th=1#Ask

Ha

Thanks for a trip down memory lane. This brand was my father's favorite (he would be 103 next month if still alive) and I recall it fondly from childhood. Rarely eat sardines now. Occasionally a treat to share with the cats, but usually just one of the organic in olive oil unflavored brands, for the sake of their digestion. May just pick up some of this brand just 'cause. Thanks again.

In my old life, I ate a can sardines in olive oil, or packed in mustard, with a sleeve of saltine crackers, this was a typical brown bag lunch. When I started making real money around 1989 I graduated to the skinless and boneless. I had a desire for them a while ago, The bride made this sort of dish with them, we used rigatoni Sicilian-Style Sardine Pasta with Bread Crumbs Recipe | Rachael Ray | Food Network.

King Oscar brisling sardines in olive oil are my favorite, and not always easy to find. I have never tried them marinated in wine vinegar - but I'll give it a try.

As a LCHF guy, I always have a can or two of good sardines in my bag when traveling. Great snack when you need one and can't find the kind of food you need.

The ones I have liked are in our pantry now. They were in Safeway, Tiny Tots bristling sardines in extra virgin olive oil. They are King Oscar's.

If DW weren't cooking tonight I would open them up right now. :)

I will be sure to try King Oscar sardines. I see that Walmart sells it too.

When in France recently, I tried a generic can from the supermarket and thought it was better than the usual cans I get in the US. The latter are usually produced in a 3rd-world country, and perhaps the fish is not packed as fresh as it should be.

My wife is a big fan of the King Oscar sardines in oil. We buy them at BJ's Wholesale (since our Costco doesn't carry them.) Much cheaper than the grocery stores.

I'm a big fan of sardines, but can't remember if I've ever had these.

Haha... is the marination in vinegar for taste or to keep them from going bad after opening the can?

The King Oscar double row sardines in olive oil that I always bought jumped price recently. My prior 30 year style was King Oscar in Sild oil which appear to be hard to find in US recently. I guess not too many sild oil aficionados left stateside. So for about 6 months or so I have been eating these Mediterranean style fishies. For me, six months of sardines is a lot of sardines, so I think I have given them enough of a trial to recommend them even to this to this discerning crowd. And the friendly lady in the entertaining video down the Amazon page seems to agree. I always marinate a can's worth in wine vinegar before I go to bed to have ready for lunch the next day. I don't necessarily eat these every day, but in the vinegar they will keep a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/King-Oscar-S...ing=UTF8&refRID=8KHZBHP8RSAHGAZ1QM7D&th=1#Ask

Ha

Thanks for the tip. I like my sardines with some vinegar.

Just shared a can with my son for lunch after picking up 10 cans at the commissary. He loved them. Brought back memories of having them with my dad in the 70's. Funny thing is we offered one up to our cat and she turned her nose up to it. Over-domesticated I guess. Purr-thing...

We enjoyed the King Oscar in EVOL on saltines with a dash of Cholulu hot sauce. Yummy!

Just shared a can with my son for lunch after picking up 10 cans at the commissary. He loved them. Brought back memories of having them with my dad in the 70's. Funny thing is we offered one up to our cat and she turned her nose up to it. Over-domesticated I guess. Purr-thing...

We enjoyed the King Oscar in EVOL on saltines with a dash of Cholulu hot sauce. Yummy!

Yeah , minus the hot sauce, that was my lunch many times. And +1 on sharing with my dad in the 60's and 70's forgot that part. Thanks for the memory.

I'm a big fan of sardines, but can't remember if I've ever had these.

Haha... is the marination in vinegar for taste or to keep them from going bad after opening the can?
For taste. I always eat them within 24-48 hours, always refrigerated. Transfer them to a glass storage container with good tight lid.

I would be concerned that with all the polyunsaturated fat in them they might go rancid fairly quickly.

Ha

King Oscar Skinless Boneless in Olive Oil were surprisingly good. I didn't remember the marinate step so I dipped them in vinegar, somewhat unsuccessfully because they fall apart. The KO Mediterarranian not so much. The little fin tails ... ew.

Thanks for introducing a new food idea!

Oh yes, the KOs are yummy with a superior texture. I tend to go with cheaper, bone-in brands though, as I use sardines as a carrier for Sriracha, so no point buying good ones that just get doused. Get some good calcium that way, too.

Today is Friday, I could do an analysis of my budget and see if I over spent in that category and eat on the cheap today, sardines and saltines. I do like them after all. Maybe I will eat that, I"ll skip the analysis step.

I always marinate a can's worth in wine vinegar before I go to bed to have ready for lunch the next day. I don't necessarily eat these every day, but in the vinegar they will keep a bit. Ha

I've never heard of this. How do you do it exactly? Drain oil and then fill the can with wine vinegar and let them soak for 12 hours or so? What do you eat them with for lunch?

I like sardines but never thought about the difference in the brands I buy. When I want less calories, I eat sardines in water from ALDI. But I also eat sardines in oil from Costco (and try not to think of calories as oil gets consumed at the same time :facepalm:). My younger child eats sardines, but fishes them out of oil first. Sardines in water is not his thing.

I am so so surprised at how many people on this thread love sardines.

I absolutely adore sardines, anchovies on pizza, or any of those other little fishies.

But in real life, I have almost never met anyone who can stand them.

Since pizza is usually a group endeavor, I haven't been able to get anchovies on pizza since 1967. I'm not even sure they are an option any more.

I haven't bought sardines in ages, because I have to be covert about it and not tell anybody (or every one of those "real life people" will make a Big Deal out of how disgusting that is). Maybe it's time for me to get some from Amazon.

I am so so surprised at how many people on this thread love sardines.

I absolutely adore sardines, anchovies on pizza, or any of those other little fishies.

But in real life, I have almost never met anyone who can stand them.

Since pizza is usually a group endeavor, I haven't been able to get anchovies on pizza since 1967. I'm not even sure they are an option any more.

I haven't bought sardines in ages, because I have to be covert about it and not tell anybody (or every one of those "real life people" will make a Big Deal out of how disgusting that is). Maybe it's time for me to get some from Amazon.
Yeah, even half pies with anchovies is a no no in this house. I put them on myself after the pie comes.

I'm the only one in the family (+ extended) that likes sardines from the can and anchovies (on pizza for sure). That probably includes 20 people or so. Maybe they think I am a bit weird?

But here, lots of attraction to little fishes.

I'm the only one in the family (+ extended) that likes sardines from the can and anchovies (on pizza for sure). That probably includes 20 people or so. Maybe they think I am a bit weird?

But here, lots of attraction to little fishes.

Ill make you a deal, you give me a ride in that 312k VW, Ill buy us a large anchovie pizza!:)

You would get along great with DW. Her favorite pizza topping is anchovies and onions. I don't mind that but would much rather have sausage and bacon. So when we split a pizza we usually get it half and half.

Back
Top Bottom