Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Not an electrician but I've been told you should match the amp. But maybe that's only for the EV electrical we're putting in?
Nope. The wires are like a pipe carrying the electrical current. The pipe size must be adequate for the current drain it is intended to serve, but extra capacity doesn't cost much.

Example is your service entrance; probably 200 amps with lots of various-sized breakers selected to serve the load that is connected to them.

Outlet designs are standardized based on load. You can physically connect a 40 amp outlet to a 15 amp service but in the best of all worlds plugging in a 40 amp device will pop the 15a breaker. In the worst case it could burn your house down. This is why we have electrical codes and professional electricians for those who don't understand the code.

MSEE, longtime ham radio nerd here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We got a Bosch and love it. The simple black slab looks great and is a dream to keep clean. DW liked her gas stove, but got tired of cleaning it.

I find the stove is as versatile as gas and have no complaints.

We have a mostly Kitchenaid appliances and the Bosch fits right in. Just a small logo you can barely see.

Aside, we couldn’t get the Kitchenaid dishwasher we wanted, so ended up with more expensive JennAir and are so happy we did. That this is virtually silent! It’s in a open kitchen / family room area and we can run it when we’re in ther without noticing it at all.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:14 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Nope. The wires are like a pipe carrying the electrical current. The pipe size must be adequate for the current drain it is intended to serve, but extra capacity doesn't cost much.

Example is your service entrance; probably 200 amps with lots of various-sized breakers selected to serve the load that is connected to them.

Outlet designs are standardized based on load. You can physically connect a 40 amp outlet to a 15 amp service but in the best of all worlds plugging in a 40 amp device will pop the 15a breaker. In the worst case it could burn your house down. This is why we have electrical codes and professional electricians for those who don't understand the code.

MSEE, longtime ham radio nerd here.
That is correct. What is important is that the breaker point aligns with the service load. For safety.

However I wouldn't worry about putting a 40A rated induction cooktop on a 30A service line if the breaker is also 30A rated.

It is highly possible that the manufacturer is overrating the current the device will use. The very worst case is to trip the breaker (inconvenient). But what power is each burner requiring? 40A on 220V is >8000W whao! it is very unlikely to happen.

Small burners are usually 600W, larger ones 2000W, at full power. Who has ever used all 4 burners at max power ever?
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

a bit of a PIA with GE is if you forget to lock controls while wiping down, you'll turn on afunctions i.e warming burning, oven, right front burner etc etc. I'd imagine all electronic controller stove are the same.

Weiman cook top cleaner and polish came with the stove. I use it all the time....
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova View Post
That is correct. What is important is that the breaker point aligns with the service load. For safety.

However I wouldn't worry about putting a 40A rated induction cooktop on a 30A service line if the breaker is also 30A rated.

It is highly possible that the manufacturer is overrating the current the device will use. The very worst case is to trip the breaker (inconvenient). But what power is each burner requiring? 40A on 220V is >8000W whao! it is very unlikely to happen.

Small burners are usually 600W, larger ones 2000W, at full power. Who has ever used all 4 burners at max power ever?
From an Ohm's Law/electrical engineering POV all of this is fine. I might try a cooktop wanting 40a on an existing 30a circuit if giving it the 40 amps would be difficult or expensive. But I would never knowingly install a circuit with less capacity than the principal connected device specified.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Has anybody seen the latest invisible induction cooktops? https://www.infinitysurfaces.it/invisacook/

I am very intrigued by this idea. Similar to what f35phixer said about putting newspaper or silicone mats between the elements and pans, this is just putting the countertop in between. So when you're not cooking, you have a regular counter surface. When you are, the pan gets hot, but the counter underneath it stays cool. I haven't figured out how you know where to put the pans when you do want to cook though.
Very interesting video. I, too, would wonder how you know where to put the pans? there must be some safety indication, other than waiting for the hot spots!

Give a Man a fish, he will eat for a day.
Teach a Man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.
pacergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
... A COOL TRICK is to lay newspaper all over glass top, all splatter are on the paper easy clean up ...
OK, I tried this with a brat for lunch today, actually used a paper towel between the small cast iron fry pan and our demo portable induction cooker. Started with a little water in the pan, added some olive oil, boiled the water dry and browned the brat. All seemed well, but when I moved the pan to the sink, the paper towel was seriously browned over the burner. So we will pursue this attractive newspaper idea with some caution. Catching spatter from frying seems to be the most attractive reason for the newspaper but obviously there are temperature limits. Thanks for the tip, though.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #48

newspaper will get brown and a bit brittle. but never been a problem for us. easier then the oily cleanup.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #49

Quote:
newspaper will get brown and a bit brittle. but never been a problem for us. easier then the oily cleanup.
We don't fry much but found the metal mesh splatter screens work well and don't seem to carry the risk of newspaper/etc.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:17 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Regarding Electrical panel support for induction ranges. It is best to look directly at the panel for the Range breaker, it is usually a dual breaker for 220v. It should be 40a, 50a or even sometimes 60a to work with an induction unit. If it is 30a then that would not be recommended.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Even though it's only about 10 years old, I'm looking at replacing my Samsung electric kitchen range with induction. I've used a little 120V countertop induction unit several times and I love it. So now it's time to go for the real thing...
Similarly, I bought a portable 120V induction countertop unit intended for my RV, but ended up using it a lot in the home.

My wife now cooks nearly exclusively with it, but then she enlists the help of other appliances for the meals: air fryer, toaster oven, microwave oven, rice cooker, Instant Pot, electric kettle. Not all at the same time, of course.

Recently, I asked, if we have been solidly sold on the induction, why not replace the range? This double-oven range with glass cooktop is 20-year-old, but still in very good shape, but my wife hardly uses the cooktop anymore.

My wife said no, she was fine with using the single induction burner.

Can't spend money even if I want to.

She said perhaps we could remodel the outdoor cooking center in the covered back patio, and install the current oven out there, then we would have room for the new unit. And we would then have 3 full-sized ovens to cook for a crowd when the need arises.

Currently, I only have an electric cooktop out in the patio, but a whole oven? It's tough enough to clean things up after a dust storm without having an oven out there. I dunno.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Currently, I only have an electric cooktop out in the patio, but a whole oven? It's tough enough to clean things up after a dust storm without having an oven out there. I dunno.
^ This.

We'd love to install a nice outdoor kitchen on our back porch/deck but the dust/dirt issue is a problem we aren't willing to have to deal with. And then there are the added challenges of keeping it free of lizards, snakes, ants, spiders, scorpions and vinegaroons.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A COOL TRICK is to lay newspaper all over glass top, all splatter are on the paper easy clean up LOVE LOVE LOVE...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
... All seemed well, but when I moved the pan to the sink, the paper towel was seriously browned over the burner...
How 'bout cutting a hole in the center of the paper, roughly the same size as the induction coil underneath the glass?

Hmmm... This is where a enterprising mind may look into inventing a gadget to ease the above task. Need to come up with a catchy name to sell this gadget over the TV channels at night.

Or just sell paper sheets with precut holes for the non-frugal crowd.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

We have been looking at this one. We cannot have a cooktop only in our kitchen without a remodel, so we are stuck with a slide in. Not because we do not have room but because we have windows in the way. While this gives us gobs of counter space, it does not lend itself to a cooktop.

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/aj...EaArz2EALw_wcB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kitchen - 2.jpg (510.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Kitchen - 1.jpg (571.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
That double-oven range looks like it would work well for me. I would need to install a backsplash.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That double-oven range looks like it would work well for me. I would need to install a backsplash.
It is the only one I found that "Seems" American made by GE. All the rest in a sensible price range are Korean (Samsung & LG).
Old 09-18-2021, 08:48 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of grease splatter when cooking, we just do messy frying chores outside in the backyard, where I have a 1-zillion BTU/hr free-standing gas burner.

It's not cold here, and I can do outdoor cooking year-round. It's actually harder to do it in the summer, because it's so darn hot without being close to a flame thrower.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:55 AM   #58

Quote:
How 'bout cutting a hole in the center of the paper, roughly the same size as the induction coil underneath the glass?

Hmmm... This is where a enterprising mind may look into inventing a gadget to ease the above task. Need to come up with a catchy name to sell this gadget over the TV channels at night.

Or just sell paper sheets with precut holes for the non-frugal crowd.
Hey NW, Lets me and you get together and go on shark tank

honestly, one thing i have learned is if i am going to leave stove when i have on high / med high etc is I will put burner down to low.... And if i was frying, never really leave ! Because of speed things fry up, its done !

never had concerns about newspaper, but if i can remember i will fold paper into triangle and make a circle hole !
Old 09-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
never had concerns about newspaper, but if i can remember i will fold paper into triangle and make a circle hole !
Ah, that's too simple and easy.

We need to convince people they need a gadget, similar to so many cooking aids from Ronco I have seen advertised on TV.

At least, sell them some papers of the right size, and with a hole off the center to match the position of the burner.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I have stayed in many Airbnbs in Europe, and saw that induction cooktops were nearly the norm there, where they don't have gas. That speaks to the induction burner efficiency. Energy is expensive in Europe, and Europeans have the incentive to use the most efficient cooking method possible.

I wonder if air fryers will catch on there. This is also another highly efficient appliance.