Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2021, 10:43 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
LOVE LOVE LOVE GE Profile PHS930 LOVE LOVE LOVE !!!!

Not cheap but! You will need induction compactible cookware, we got a $930 credit for like a 10 piece set.

Boils water FAST, then down to a simmer FASTER
Here is Southern MD, fried Oysters, Fish, Soft Crabs etc. is easy.
A COOL TRICK is to lay newspaper all over glass top, all splatter are on the paper easy clean up LOVE LOVE LOVE
We has cast iron dutch ovens and skillets, get a silicon mat and tehn pots on top !!!! So you limit possible scratching...
Another nice thing is not a lot of heat generation into kitchen...
Oh with that said, be careful opening oven door, heat does roll out, well insulated.

Buy ONE, you wont regret it. Oven side is fine, does the job, its what's up top that's amazing....

I have the same range. Love it!!!! And I got the freebie extra set of induction cookware. I already had induction-compatible cookware.

A tip: Don’t use the self-cleaning oven feature-not good for the wiring. You can do the steam cleaning, but regular oven cleaner is easier.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 02:35 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Has anybody seen the latest invisible induction cooktops? https://www.infinitysurfaces.it/invisacook/

I am very intrigued by this idea. Similar to what f35phixer said about putting newspaper or silicone mats between the elements and pans, this is just putting the countertop in between. So when you're not cooking, you have a regular counter surface. When you are, the pan gets hot, but the counter underneath it stays cool. I haven't figured out how you know where to put the pans when you do want to cook though.
I watched this video (from Jeff over at Home RenoVision DIY) when it was first published, so I don't recall the details other than it worked pretty well, but maybe not so well for those who do a lot of cooking. Definitely worth considering if living in a small place.

triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:42 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I just remodeled the kitchen and really wanted the GE Profile but it was backordered for months and never became available. Then I decided to order a lower cost Frigidaire, but that disappeared from stock right after ordering and I was worried it would also be months. Ended up with a Bertazzoni, which has big knobs that I prefer to touchscreen anyway and is stylish looking. I’m still learning how to use it but it is really fast to heat and I like the efficiency.
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:10 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For some reason, I have always started on High and then reduced the temperature as needed. Gas or electric, made no difference. I suppose my mom cooked this way and I just imitated her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Hmm, interesting. I rarely start at high, which is level 10 on my stove. I do a lot of midrange level 5 & 6 cooking, and find it takes a good couple of minutes for my pans to get hot enough to start sizzling their contents. (I have Duxtop cookware.) That was my biggest learning curve, and the one thing I don't like.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:30 AM   #25

Wonderful responses. Thanks to all who have replied here. I'm still in the early stage of this, so any more comments would be most appreciated.

Matching the brands of my kitchen appliances is irrelevant to me, but all the performance comments are great.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:04 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

good luck, love mine.

Its always been fun to have friends over for dinner and say "does yours do this", put on cold water and is boiling ~1 minute, then hit say medium to a nice simmer.
or if we have friend over for say fried oysters, i put a layer of newspaper down and get to frying.... they're like WTFO ;-)))
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:45 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Remember you will need upgraded electrics for an induction unit. Regular Electric Ranges typically have 30a service, which is the normal range outlet that is installed in most homes. Induction ranges require 40a or some even 50a with upgraded wiring too. So you may have to consider installation of one into the overall cost.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Remember you will need upgraded electrics for an induction unit. Regular Electric Ranges typically have 30a service, which is the normal range outlet that is installed in most homes. Induction ranges require 40a or some even 50a with upgraded wiring too. So you may have to consider installation of one into the overall cost.
Maybe true some places, but mine is 40. Home was built 20 years ago.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:56 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Maybe true some places, but mine is 40. Home was built 20 years ago.
Ours is 30a and it is 18 years old. Always good to check though. a neighbor of ours had to get it upgraded.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:35 AM   #30

Induction is superior. Had a higher-end of the regular brands gas before and never going back. Water boils insanely fast -- definitely faster than even pro gas burners. Greatly reduces heat in the kitchen vs gas or conventional electric. I don't think anyone's mentioned the safety aspect -- if you take a pan off and forget to turn off the burner, it automatically turns off in about 10 seconds. And, of course, induction doesn't heat by conduction like gas or conventional electric, so the surface isn't as hot, and if you accidentally touch a long sleeve or an oven mitt, you aren't going to get burned as quickly or a fire.

Recommend looking at Consumer Reports for brand reliability. IIRC, Bosch dishwashers are highly rated and reliable, but less so with cooktops/ranges.

You will need induction cookware. I've found some is rated for induction but while it does work, the ferrous content must be just enough so that the burner "sees" it and will stay on. This causes noticeably slow heating. I think this is a fairly common consideration with non-stick cookware in particular. I suspect the one poster having slow heating issues has this problem. Cast iron heats up very quickly and on higher settings will get incredibly hot -- sometimes too hot if you have enamel coated (recommended to reduce scratching potential).

We found that 5 on induction is closer to 6 or 6.5 on many others. That said, the low settings are *very* low, if that matters to you for delicate tasks. Most won't allow all burners on highest settings simultaneously -- rarely been something we've come across and even then, was not an issue.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Hmmm, I find the opposite to be true. On High, things heat up so fast, I have to stick around to avoid them boiling over. A saucepan of oatmeal is bubbling madly in 60 seconds.

My mom taught me never to use High on an electric stove, at least 50 years ago. But on my induction stove, I use High to heat water for pasta.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:26 AM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have the GE. I have only used if for a few months so far, but I do love it. I had a non-induction Jen Air cooktop for 30 years prior and it was still kicking. We did over the kitchen and went for induction. Glad we did.
jojo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:29 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

And for all I know, I'm still using methods that were intended for a low-end range in a 1960's house. But it seems to have worked ;^>

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
My mom taught me never to use High on an electric stove, at least 50 years ago. But on my induction stove, I use High to heat water for pasta.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
good luck, love mine.

Its always been fun to have friends over for dinner and say "does yours do this", put on cold water and is boiling ~1 minute, then hit say medium to a nice simmer.
or if we have friend over for say fried oysters, i put a layer of newspaper down and get to frying.... they're like WTFO ;-)))
I need more info! Like, you literally fry on top of newspaper? Where/how is the energy being conducted?

Clearly I need to do more research on how to maximize usage of my induction range.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Our induction is 50. The electrician said some are 60 so I needed to know which one I was getting before he pulled in the electrical. This was 5 years ago.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Our induction is 50. The electrician said some are 60 so I needed to know which one I was getting before he pulled in the electrical. This was 5 years ago.
The GE 30" cooktop that I linked wants 40 amps. If you're putting in a new line from your panel, the cost is small to overkill the amperage.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #37

We have the GE Profile (cooktop not range). When we bought/remodeled the house in 2010, we put in the GE Profile cooktop and it failed just as the pandemic struck last year - so it lasted 10 years. It was an electronic failure and the repair guy said it would cost $600 to repair so we decided to just replace the cooktop. As stores were closed and I couldn't really shop for a replacement, I went with the current model of the same cooktop which I could order (but then couldn't get it installed for weeks...another story). Anyway, as others have mentioned, I like the digital touchpad controls and the frameless design. Super easy to clean.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #38

All the ones I've looked at so far have been rated for 40 amps, which is what I have.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:22 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
... I suspect the one poster having slow heating issues has this problem. ...
Another slow-heating problem is if the pan is much larger than the "burner" area. This is easy to demo by putting a large pan on a small burner and starting to boil some water. The bubbles area will be in the center of the pan, approximately the size of the "burner" and the rest of the pan will heat slowly, only by conduction from the heated center area. The water out by the edges may never boil.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
The GE 30" cooktop that I linked wants 40 amps. If you're putting in a new line from your panel, the cost is small to overkill the amperage.
Not an electrician but I've been told you should match the amp. But maybe that's only for the EV electrical we're putting in?
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote