Join Early Retirement Today

Kohl's Dept. Store "Fillers"
Old 10-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kohl's Dept. Store "Fillers"

There have been useful discussions here about Amazon.com "fillers", inexpensive stuff you can buy to bring your total above the minimum level for free shipping. What similar "fillers" are at Kohl's Dept Store? Looking for stuff in the range 1 to 99 cents? They have a coupon for $10 off a minimum $10 purchase but it seems like the stuff I "want" to get is always $9.99 and if I buy 2, even w/ $10 off, it is no longer a steal compared to Costco regular prices so I never get anything. Such a missed opportunity....... and all the other stuff is brand name stuff which I have no use for and know nothing about it's "real" value.
'
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
There have been useful discussions here about Amazon.com "fillers", inexpensive stuff you can buy to bring your total above the minimum level for free shipping. What similar "fillers" are at Kohl's Dept Store? Looking for stuff in the range 1 to 99 cents? They have a coupon for $10 off a minimum $10 purchase but it seems like the stuff I "want" to get is always $9.99 and if I buy 2, even w/ $10 off, it is no longer a steal compared to Costco regular prices so I never get anything. Such a missed opportunity....... and all the other stuff is brand name stuff which I have no use for and know nothing about it's "real" value.
'
Stuff for .99 may be hard to find, but DW regularly finds little gifty dodads (frames/ornaments/etc) that are on sale for 2-3 bucks and make good gifts for friends, stocking stuffers, or whatever.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Some websites will return results for very broad searches. Kohl's doesn't appear to do that, except on non-clearance clothing. Search on "small" and you'll get 6000 items, that can then be sorted "low to high" price. Searching on "Small" returns $2.40 ladies panties, while searching on "Large" returns $2.00 ex-large flip flops. For clearance and the non-clothing at Kohl's, it appears that you have to get into detailed categories before searching. For example, you can sort down clearance men's polo shirts by price, but not all mens clearance by price. Good luck.
Update: Colors are also valid search terms at Kohls. Search on "blue" or "red" and you'll see a $1.99 cloth napkin in those colors.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Last year I got a Kohl's coupon for $10 off and bought a 4-pack of white socks for 9 something. Ended up (after tax) paying 25 cents for the pack of socks...6/7 cents each pair.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Last year I got a Kohl's coupon for $10 off and bought a 4-pack of white socks for 9 something. Ended up (after tax) paying 25 cents for the pack of socks...6/7 cents each pair.
fine print on mine says 10 pre-tax so I've never tried to sneak a 10 post tax thru........what did yours say? maybe I should try?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #6

I use Khols coupons all the time. I get things like greeting cards, wrapping paper, ( their tissue paper is 1.49), a liitle toy or headband for the granddaughters on sale for a couple of dollars, chocolate bars for a couple of dollars, or sometimes I even find something in the kitchen utensils on sale for $2 or so. I only get things I can use or give to the grandchildren.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I hate "deals" like this because you end up buying more than you planned just to make the minimum (and Kohls and Amazon know what they're doing!). I'd just go to Costco if I were you.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #8

Oh yes, I've often found after holiday items for practically nothing to tack on to a pack of socks, a shirt, etc
Old 10-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I found two tricks to the Kohls deals:

1. For the initial purchase, never buy unless you have a 30% off with Kohls card coupon. They release these every month, usually towards the start of the month. If you order online, you can always use one, typically get free shipping and in store returns are free. You don't have to give back the shipping cost after the fact if your returns take you below the free shipping cut off.

Edit - I assumed it's obvious one goes to retailmenot.com to get the coupon. Maybe that's not.

2. Hold back part of your order to account for the Kohls cash you'll accrue. For instance if I was buying work shirts and needed 7, I'd only buy 5 or 6, depending what else was in the cart.

In the worst case, I always get socks.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
Edit - I assumed it's obvious one goes to retailmenot.com to get the coupon. Maybe that's not.

2. Hold back part of your order to account for the Kohls cash you'll accrue. For instance if I was buying work shirts
I'm familiar with retailmenot for coupons, but what are these things you speak of called work shirts??
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
fine print on mine says 10 pre-tax so I've never tried to sneak a 10 post tax thru........what did yours say? maybe I should try?
Never tried it at Kohls, but Bed Bath and Beyond allows you to use the coupons as long as you get within a few cents of the $25 or whatever the coupon says. It would be worth the try. Stores don't want to PO their customers too much.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

For what it's worth. You can always get 5% cash back from Discover Card, if you order through the Kohls link at the Discover Card website. Of course, that's in addition to any other coupons or specials.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Anything that they sell that is a staple or common use item. Things you know you will use!

For Electronic stores... I often buy a pack a AA or AAA batteries.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #14

Yes, I get the code for the 30% from the Internet if they don't mail it to me.

Also, my Kohls carries batteries back in the toy section. I always keep a list of things I may need that I can get at Kohls. For example, if I need Sonicare replacement heads for about $24, then I use a 30% off coupon and then the $10 off coupon and end up paying about $6-7.

About once a month, they hang Kohls flyers on our front door for $10 off and sometimes they have a coupon in our paper for the same. I've often wondered how they make any money.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
'
In my area, Santa Clara, Ca. Kohl's gives seniors, (I think 60+), 15% off on Wed.
Use the senior discount, with the $10 off card, and one can get a pretty good deal. Also, CSR, never give the senior discount unless you ask.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #16

Lots of interesting ideas.......30% off coupon at not so obvious retailmenot.com(thanks for posting edit, PIR; I was searching Kohl's site in vain until I noticed the edit) ; 15% off Sr. WED; push the $10min envelope;
batteries, tissue paper, etc.; 5% of through Shop Discover. Thanks all!
Let's see if I can avoid throwing those $10 off cards away w/ these new weapons.

Oh......just FYI, for Groupon buyers........if you buy through the Shop Discover site, you get 15% rewards to your Discover Card account.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I ordered something from Kohls.... once... and was pleased with the price and experience. I like the $20 purse that I ordered and will probably use it for quite a few years.

I can't imagine ordering from them frequently enough to need ideas for fillers, and coupons sources, though. Obviously I need to ramp up my consumer instincts and buy more, especially from Kohl's.

We don't have Kohl's here so I have never shopped at one in person.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote