Krav maga?

How about pens, keychains, flashlights....

Self defense is serious business, and sometimes even the smallest most discrete weapon can do severe damage to your attacker. Such is the case with the kubaton. The kubotan looks like an ordinary keychain, but in fact, it is a machined aluminum protection device. Kubotans are great for jabbing, pressure points, key slashing and eye gouging. Whatever it takes to ward off the attacker. They are inexpensive and virtually indestructible. Kubotans are great for men as well as women.

Kubatons - Batons - J & L Self Defense Products

(I don't have any experience with this company)

Last edited:
How about pens, keychains, flashlights....

Kubatons - Batons - J & L Self Defense Products

(I don't have any experience with this company)

I had a flight two weeks after 9/11. I chose to keep a mechanical pencil in my shirt pocket, in case I had to stick it in some hijackers eye or something... :LOL:

Just so happened that there were several military personnel on that flight; I was never so glad... :police:

Heck, if you're Jason Bourne, all you need is an ink pen, and a rolled-up magazine...

Last edited:
donheff said:
WTF:confused: Don't tease us like this Brewer, what's going on? In our collective vast and varied experience we may have better approaches than MA training. And, of course, there is a modicum of plain old morbid curiosity.

I agree, I have no idea what we are talking about. Let's lift the veil.

And how is it that a boss is allowed to search vehicles?

And how is it that a boss is allowed to search vehicles?
His property, his rules. Like the sign on the pole says: All vehicles entering this property are subject to search." Some employers put it in the contract as a condition of employment, too. Heck, if they can make you pee in a bottle, they can sure search your car.

His property, his rules. Like the sign on the pole says: All vehicles entering this property are subject to search." Some employers put it in the contract as a condition of employment, too. Heck, if they can make you pee in a bottle, they can sure search your car.

Exactly. Plus I don't drive to work so there is no car to search. The building is highly secure for a good reason.

I don't know if this would work for guys, but screaming at about a billion decibels or louder seems to be extremely helpful for women when attacked by a stranger.
I know for a fact that it can be very effective when completely overpowered, and might be worth trying as a last resort when every other tactic has failed.
I suspect the men of ER are much too macho for that and would rather take a beating:LOL:
In taekwondo that's known as a "kihap"...

And yes, DFW_M5, you're probably right that the "Men of ER" (I am envisioning a beefcake calendar) probably would be too macho to scream. On the other hand, when in a life-or-death battle, in desperation people will sometimes do something a little out of character to survive.

The other limitation with screaming is there has to be someone nearby to hear you and also willing to get involved and while the screaming tactic may work, a whistle may be better.

So, I'm guessing they don't search it when you're not there. Do they say "OK, Al, let's go search your car now?"

The other limitation with screaming is there has to be someone nearby to hear you and also willing to get involved

That SOUNDS logical but amazingly, it isn't true. I know, I would be skeptical too if I didn't already know from experience that screaming actually works when nobody is near enough to hear or respond to it. Guess it unnerved the guy. Believe me, it was the loudest sound ever uttered by a human being in the history of the earth - - I had no idea I could scream that loudly.

Nobody ever did hear or respond to my screaming, either, even after the guy left. I walked away after he left, and here I am, alive and able to tell you about it 45 years later.

Last edited:
So, let's review Brewer: you work in a place that exposes you to dangerous attacks and your boss refuses to allow you to bring defensive weapons? This was an upgrade from your previous employment? Is there any reason you couldn't ER early via a lawsuit if the intentional exposure to violence results in serious injury?

That SOUNDS logical but amazingly, it isn't true. I know, I would be skeptical too if I didn't already know from experience that screaming actually works when nobody is near enough to hear or respond to it. Guess it unnerved the guy. Believe me, it was the loudest sound ever uttered by a human being in the history of the earth - - I had no idea I could scream that loudly.

Nobody ever did hear or respond to my screaming, either, even after the guy left. I walked away after he left, and here I am, alive and able to tell you about it 45 years later.

I didn't say screaming doesn't work, but suggested it may have limitations. If you can't run or disable or disable and then run, absolutely scream away as it may very well scare off many attackers or use it along with the previously mentioned tactics. Frequently with children, the recommendation of carrying a whistle or personal alarm device is recommended over lung power.

I must say, this thread has me baffled.

Brewer, I thought you worked in the the financial services business. Has the Occupy Wall Street movement become that violent in your new location?

For obvious reasons, I do not care to come out and name my employer.

I work in a highly secure building (when I am not travelling, as I frequently do) filled with LEOs and security measures I don't even have a clue about. Unfortunately, my employer has become a sh!t magnet with certain political elements. Marches and tent camps are one thing. Other incidents are starting to happen, like the building being surrounded by a march while employees going to their cars in the parking lot are heckled. This week some of these cretins stationed themselves outside the public entrance and confronted employees coming and going. Nothing actually violent yet (aside from some goofball who tangled with one of our securty staff and was promtly arrested a few months ago), but I do not like where this is going.

For now, the easy out is to enter/leave via a service entrance that is not particularly obvious. I am inclined to give my employer the benefit of the doubt WRT dealing with threats (they are very vigilent). I ave seen an increase in patrols around the perimeter by our armed security staff, but there are also first amendment issues to consider as well. I am going to be travelling the next three weeks during which time I will frequent a krav maga studio and get some training. Hopefully by the time I get back the crazies will either have moved on to the next opportunity to make asses of themselves, or it will be cold enough that standing outside in Colorado loses its charm. If not, I and I suspect many other employees will be making a big deal about it.

Brewer,

The other issue with what you described is that if you get attacked by a mob, even Krav Maga may be useless. Hopefully your employer or the police will do more to ensure employee safety if this persists.

Brewer,

The other issue with what you described is that if you get attacked by a mob, even Krav Maga may be useless. Hopefully your employer or the police will do more to ensure employee safety if this persists.

That is the plan. I don't intend to let it get that far. Its easy to see if there is a group outside the door and either go out the other door or say something to the security detail. I don't wear a uniform or anything so once I am 10 strides away from the building I look like anybody else on the street.

If this gets any worse, maybe you will get some opportunities to telecommute.

Take care, and stay in groups if you can.

I don't know if this would work for guys, but screaming at about a billion decibels or louder seems to be extremely helpful for women when attacked by a stranger. (snip)

(snip) Frequently with children, the recommendation of carrying a whistle or personal alarm device is recommended over lung power.

That gives me an idea...would an air horn (such as used by rowdy soccer fans) be considered a weapon by your employer? I would imagining letting off something that loud right in an attacker's ear would faze them at least momentarily, allowing escape.

P.S. I too have personal experience of the power of a loud voice to break off an attack, although in my case it was an attack on someone else rather than on myself.

I am going to be travelling the next three weeks during which time I will frequent a krav maga studio and get some training.

3 weeks? Maybe time to read your second quote from Iron Mike. :blush:

The only hope I'd see is that it'd be enough exposure to understand the futility of it all. I recommend training for its own sake. Just my experience.

3 weeks? Maybe time to read your second quote from Iron Mike. :blush:

The only hope I'd see is that it'd be enough exposure to understand the futility of it all. I recommend training for its own sake. Just my experience.

If I don't care for it or don't learn anything I can always quit. In the meantime it will fill my evenings while on the road.

There you go. I hope you do enjoy it. It's a good way to meet people. I have always trained in my world travels and found it to be very fun, usually.

Well the addtl info does help, because these are not "pro" fighters that want to rob you. I think in all seriousness that one good #3 elbow would take the fight right out of someone like you've described. It is one thing to initiate a fight but quite another to carry on after getting a painful first hit from someone you think is a dim office drone.
Go for it, Brew.

Back
Top Bottom