Join Early Retirement Today

Krav maga?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Krav maga?

Anyone tried Krav maga? I am feeling motivated to upgrade my self defense abilities and due to employer restrictions I am not allowed to carry pepper spray or anything else as i commute (when I am most at risk). Hard to learn? Punishing?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Anyone tried Krav maga? I am feeling motivated to upgrade my self defense abilities and due to employer restrictions I am not allowed to carry pepper spray or anything else as i commute (when I am most at risk). Hard to learn? Punishing?
I'll be interested in the responses to this one, as I was thinking of trying this myself and may do so once I retire. More as an alternate fitness regime, but I suppose it could come in handy if any muggers ever wanted to take me on.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Try a google search at the top. There was a thread around 2008 on the topic
Old 11-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have time, lots? Builds intestinal fortitude many ways
Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Absolutely practical, no nonsense and brutal when it needs to be. Classes were good for general fitness too, since instructors wanted students to have experience doing the techniques under duress, so started each session with enough running or exercise to get hearts racing. Highly recommended.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Wait a minute. WHERE did you move to? The Port of Newark? East St Louis And this was an improvement?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #7

Quote:
If all you want is self defense and a pretty brutal approach Krav Maga will work. However, I'd encourage you to study one of the Eastern MAs that also teach the mental side rather than just self defense as it will be far more rewarding. Classes can vary widely in style even with the same name so go along and watch a few, they should be happy to let you watch and take a class for free. Some meditation in class and a considerate teacher who is tough during training are good signs. Find one that does practical self defense rather than just training, forms and sparring. I trained in Wu Shu Kwan in the UK many years ago, and I still do the forms and kick and punch a heavy bag to keep fit.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
If all you want is self defense and a pretty brutal approach Krav Maga will work. However, I'd encourage you to study one of the Eastern MAs that also teach the mental side rather than just self defense as it will be far more rewarding. Classes can vary widely in style even with the same name so go along and watch a few, they should be happy to let you watch and take a class for free. Some meditation in class and a considerate teacher who is tough during training are good signs. Find one that does practical self defense rather than just training, forms and sparring. I trained in Wu Shu Kwan in the UK many years ago, and I still do the forms and kick and punch a heavy bag to keep fit.
Not interested in meditation. Brutal is exactly what I have in mind.

- George Orwell

Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Wait a minute. WHERE did you move to? The Port of Newark? East St Louis And this was an improvement?
I find I suddenly have employer related risks. Nothing to do with location.

- George Orwell

Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am feeling motivated to upgrade my self defense abilities and due to employer restrictions I am not allowed to carry pepper spray or anything else as i commute (when I am most at risk).
F.'s employer did random searches on employees' vehicles, and a firearm found in one's car was grounds for dismissal. He worked swing shift and had to drive through some pretty ghastly rough, deserted areas late at night on the way home. So, I worried. To cope with this situation he carried a large (2 feet long?) very heavy flashlight under his seat for self defense. While that isn't enough you might want to throw one under your car seat until you have other self defense measurements in place. At least it would be something. Also, once he got in his car to drive home he didn't stop driving until he got out of the area. No stop sign or flat tire would have slowed him down.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I find I suddenly have employer related risks. Nothing to do with location.
Co-workers

If not I would start to control my exposure/environment.

My opinion is based on Fed service about 20 years ago: IMHO FPS is a step above rent-a-cop (and I have a story to go with that opinion) but the FBI is very competent, usually. ATF can be a little loose around the edges.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Not interested in meditation. Brutal is exactly what I have in mind.
Word of warning, people who go to self defense or MA classes looking for brutality often find it. Knowing techniques without self control can be dangerous.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think the first lesson of any self-defense martial art is teaching its students to avoid getting into self-defense situations, or at least to run like a scared bunny.

And while pepper spray may not be an approved concealed-carry item, perhaps there are other aerosols at least as disabling. I've seen plenty of examples at the Macy's perfume counter.

I don't know if krav maga training is readily available in your area, but I'm pretty sure there's at least one taekwondo dojang. The sport has a variety of splinter groups, but the most practical training comes from groups affiliated with the World Taekwondo Federation / USAT Olympic-style competitive sparring. Judo, karate, and jiu jitsu would also work. The key is to find an instructor you enjoy working with and a place that's convenient enough to make it easy to show up.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #14

First lessons in Krav Maga will be avoiding situations or getting out of situations without having to actively defend yourself. Any fight you can avoid is a fight you do not take a chance of losing. It's very practical. And very focused on effective self defense if needed.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think the first lesson of any self-defense martial art is teaching its students to avoid getting into self-defense situations, or at least to run like a scared bunny.
Yes, that should be the first lesson. Avoid pr diffuse situations or run away as a bruised ego is better than a bruised face - not just yours, but that of your potential opponent too. Part of the mental training is to control the ego, anger, fear etc. It also makes you realize that there is no shame in backing down to avoid a fight. This is often one of the hardest things to learn for people brought up in sports where competition and aggression are encouraged.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Brewer, maybe you should look into a local MMA dojo? They teach a mix of things, Krav Maga, ji-jitsu, wrestling, kick-boxing. I know some the instructors at our local dojo, those are bad-ass MOFOs, ain't nobody messin' with them........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:16 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm also interested in Krav Maga. A friend who is a target because of his wealth and his profession has taken up Krav Maga a couple of years ago and is very satisfied. He recently was in a store when there was a hold-up and he used his training to avoid getting into trouble with the gangsters, while being ready to defend himself if they would not leave him any choice.

What's been keeping me from trying it out are: 1) I don't really have time to pick up new hobbies, 2) So far my spine, knees, etc. are undamaged. I don't have any sports injuries and I would like to keep it that way, 3) I don't want to be used as a punching bag by those who practice or teach martial arts as an outlet for their frustration
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post

What's been keeping me from trying it out are: 1) I don't really have time to pick up new hobbies, 2) So far my spine, knees, etc. are undamaged. I don't have any sports injuries and I would like to keep it that way, 3) I don't want to be used as a punching bag by those who practice or teach martial arts as an outlet for their frustration
If you find a responsible MA instructor 2 and 3 would not be applicable and you just need a couple of hours a week, but it sound like Tai Chi would be excellent for you.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Brewer, maybe you should look into a local MMA dojo? They teach a mix of things, Krav Maga, ji-jitsu, wrestling, kick-boxing. I know some the instructors at our local dojo, those are bad-ass MOFOs, ain't nobody messin' with them........
Sounds like a dojo to avoid......I would never train with anyone who outwardly appeared to be a "bad ass MOFO".

Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

I don't know if krav maga training is readily available in your area, but I'm pretty sure there's at least one taekwondo dojang. The sport has a variety of splinter groups, but the most practical training comes from groups affiliated with the World Taekwondo Federation / USAT Olympic-style competitive sparring. Judo, karate, and jiu jitsu would also work. The key is to find an instructor you enjoy working with and a place that's convenient enough to make it easy to show up.
TDK is a good option and there are classes everywhere.

Tags
occupy foot in your ass