Krebs got his Id stolen, and you won't believe how easy it was!

Yes, I get the same thing. Says there is a pending transaction, but there isn't one. I was going to leave it for a few days and then try again.

Me too.

I suspect Paypal put a broad block on removing bank accounts till they can spin this.

I just tried to close my paypal account and it tossed an error.

Looks like they've got mass-flight and are overreacting.

- edited to add - maybe not. I had a student account for my son - and it had a small balance. I'm transferring that out, then will close the account.

Last edited:
The bank account listed on my Paypal account was closed over 5 years ago. I use a credit card for any transactions.

I hardly use my paypal account. Sometimes almost a year will go by before I buy something with it so I have a question before I disconnect my bank.

If you disconnect your bank account and connect a credit card to paypal I can see how you'd use that to make purchases.

But, the initial reason I opened a paypal account was because somebody wanted to SEND ME money. If I disconnect my bank account, they send money to my PayPal account ... how do I get it into my bank account from paypal?

I hope it was a glitch and that the customer support person got sacked. Mine is linked to my credit card so I have extra protection.

Really the upper management should be sacked. That would be fairer but probably much less likely. Ever see the movie "Paths of Glory"?

The worst decisions are made when angry or impatient.

Really the upper management should be sacked. That would be fairer but probably much less likely. Ever see the movie "Paths of Glory"?

The worst decisions are made when angry or impatient.

I wouldn't jump to a conclusion without more information. Did Upper Management indeed lower the security threshold? Or did this customer service person make up and easy solution to a pesky problem on the fly? In the first case, yes. Hang 'em then sue 'em! The worker was just doing what she/he was instructed. "Control over a man's livelihood is control over a man's will" "Big Al" Hamilton.

In the second case I wouldn't hold it against management unless they just laugh it off and don't do anything about it. Then it becomes their fault too. Altho the problem people have had disconnecting their bank accounts today does not speak well for them.

Paths of Glory is one of my all-time fav films

I hardly use my paypal account. Sometimes almost a year will go by before I buy something with it so I have a question before I disconnect my bank.

If you disconnect your bank account and connect a credit card to paypal I can see how you'd use that to make purchases.

But, the initial reason I opened a paypal account was because somebody wanted to SEND ME money. If I disconnect my bank account, they send money to my PayPal account ... how do I get it into my bank account from paypal?

That's my situation too. Not sure how you would accept payment from eBay without having a bank account associated with your account.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

That's my situation too. Not sure how you would accept payment from eBay without having a bank account associated with your account.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Thanks . That clears it up for me. I thought I was missing something

This is kind of scary. The Electronic Funds Transfer Act, which protects consumers from unauthorized electronic transactions, only applies to retail accounts / consumers, not businesses. If a PayPal hack led to unauthorized funds being withdrawn from a linked bank account I can see the both the bank and paypal refusing to pay, each blaming the other.

I updated my paypal account to not use my bank account as a funding source. Only to receive but not to pay. To pay, I'm only using a cc.

I updated my paypal account to not use my bank account as a funding source. Only to receive but not to pay. To pay, I'm only using a cc.

I can't seem to find this option, only to remove the bank account?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Mp

I can't seem to find this option, only to remove the bank account?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Mp

If I did this right, followed the navigation from:

profile -> paying online/preapproved payments -> set available funding sources. Then from there, I unchecked my checking acct and only left my cc.

Go to Wallet in your account. You'll see each bank account and card you have linked. Click on whatever you want to delete. A screen will come up with some options, one of them being "Remove Bank" (or card).

I did some googling and not being able to delete banks or cards is a common issue. Apparently transactions are sometimes left as pending in their system even after they have cleared and show completed to the user. It is simple for them to clear them, but people have only had luck if you call rather than try to send them a message. Takes about 2 minutes once you get through, especially if you go through their Contact Us page where you account info is loaded for the rep to see when they answer. I will be trying this next week.

If they try to convince you not to close it, you can always tell them you are switching banks and will update with the new bank later. But nobody has said they've had any push back.

Right - if you sell stuff via PayPal you need to link a bank account.

There is a "send me a check ” option that costs $1.50. Very small link under the transfer money screen.....

Go to Wallet in your account. You'll see each bank account and card you have linked. Click on whatever you want to delete. A screen will come up with some options, one of them being "Remove Bank" (or card).

I did some googling and not being able to delete banks or cards is a common issue. Apparently transactions are sometimes left as pending in their system even after they have cleared and show completed to the user. It is simple for them to clear them, but people have only had luck if you call rather than try to send them a message. Takes about 2 minutes once you get through, especially if you go through their Contact Us page where you account info is loaded for the rep to see when they answer. I will be trying this next week.

If they try to convince you not to close it, you can always tell them you are switching banks and will update with the new bank later. But nobody has said they've had any push back.

They will still play games.

If the last transaction was, say yesterday, even if the transaction is complete, they will not allow the bank account to be disconnected. Chatting with cust svce will get the sob story that "our systems take three to five days to update".

Then they may let you actually diconnect the account by clicking remove. Likely will still need to call cust svce.

They will still play games.

If the last transaction was, say yesterday, even if the transaction is complete, they will not allow the bank account to be disconnected. Chatting with cust svce will get the sob story that "our systems take three to five days to update".

Then they may let you actually diconnect the account by clicking remove. Likely will still need to call cust svce.
As I said earlier, it's been a month since my last transaction. If it had only been a couple days I could see the issue. Is this your experience, or one you've read somewhere, or are you just assuming? The 3-5 stories I read online said that a call cleared everything up.

Yea, it is my experience. I'll try the disconnect in five days.

Just got mine removed. The rep said he didn't see any pending transactions to clear, but he could do the removal. Took about 15 minutes total, including the short initial hold wait, and other holds as he was trying to look up stuff and then do the removal. Speakerphone makes it much more tolerable to be on hold.

Mine was removed as well.... Yesterday! When the five days was up.

Back
Top Bottom