Join Early Retirement Today

labor for replacing bathroom exhaust fan
Old 07-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

labor for replacing bathroom exhaust fan

How much is a reasonable cost for a handyman to replace a bathroom exhaust fan?

The guy who charged me $125 to replace three (3) outdoor lights --- 30 minutes of work --- quoted me a price of $100.
retire-early is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's an easy task just like replacing outdoor lights. You don't even have to switch off any breakers. Can't you do it on your own? It's about a 15 minute task.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If it's replacing an existing fan motor, it's not much work. I use Nu-Tone Fans, and get the replacement motors on Amazon. 2 screws and plug it in.. 10 minutes.

I've also just bought the plastic fan that mounts on the motor shaft, that just goes bad sometimes.

Not sure about other replacement models, but it shouldn't be a big job.
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I do those myself, but in today’s world $100 is not that bad if he is supplying the replacement fan as well as doing the install.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I did this on my rental.
I would have gladly paid $100 to have some else do it.

Counting the time it took:
  1. drive to store, find a replacement (can't use just any),
  2. drive back,
  3. bring tools and ladder upstairs,
  4. pull off old one (insulation fell down),
  5. figure out how the new one fits it as it's different.
  6. Install the exhaust connection (nice that the new one had a sleeve to connect first).
  7. Install (screw into place) the new one, including plug it in at end.
  8. Turn it on (whew it worked !).
  9. put away tools, ladder, vacuum up all the fallen insulation (was not much but was scattered all over).

Next time I'll wear a mask due to the insulation falling surprise.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

$100 for just showing up at your home - is pretty typical these days (you can thank Inflation).

So the guy is doing it for free. In a way.

My water heater started leaking last month. After struggling for few days, I ended up fixing the leak. Then it started leaking from another place. So I called couple of companies asking how much for new water heater+installation. One company said $1100. Another said $1450 and $150 to do it on a weekend for emergency.

In the end I bought the water heater from Loews and installed it myself. As usual - ended up buying several expensive tools+accessories along the way that cost 2 hundred+ dollars
yhoomajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #7

Yep, 100 bucks is about right. Think about someone's time for travel, installation, clean up and travel home. Not to mention taxes for self employment... That's what I would charge.
Surewhitey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It's a job for a handyman, and an electrician is not needed. And they were right about the fan just needing screwed in and plugged into an outlet under the cover.

I've got one to do also. Been putting the replacement off 20 years. If I'm putting new tile and granite in the bathroom, I'm going to fix the exhaust fan/light to where it works.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRon View Post
I do those myself, but in today’s world $100 is not that bad if he is supplying the replacement fan as well as doing the install.
Oh, no. I am to supply the replacement fan.

I also don't know which brand of fan it is either.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #10

sounds totally reasonable.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
Oh, no. I am to supply the replacement fan.

I also don't know which brand of fan it is either.
The posters that were replying that they could do the job in ten minutes meant if they were just replacing the motor inside the existing housing. If this is what you are doing its imperative that you get the same model of fan so it slips right into place.

It is more involved to replace the whole housing. Most times it can be done without a trip into the attic but nonetheless its still a fair amount of work. Technically you would need an electrician to disconnect the old and reconnect the new one. Depending on your municipality you may even need an HVAC guy to hook up the venting. If your guy quoted you a $100 I would have him do it before he changes his mind. Then I would give him a tip for saving you the headache of doing it yourself.

A little tip--If you are supposed to provide the new fan make sure you get one that requires the same size or larger opening in the sheet rock then your existing one. Also, don't provide a fan/light/heat unit to replace the existing fan only unit. You wont have enough power available to run it.
427Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:06 PM   #12

for some designs the fan motor is easy to replace...did that at a relatives's house.

for others the whole assembly needs to be removed to repair/replace...have one of those in my master bathroom right now where it is squealing.

think I'll leave it in place, blow out the dust with compressed air & then hit the motor with FluidFilm again to try & quiet 'er down...
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #13

Have you checked youtube, most repair jobs are simple and there are plenty how to videos on this subject.
The first 5 minutes of this video is probably what anyone you hire is going to do if the replacement is the same size. I checked Lowes and Home Depot and you can buy a whole new unit Broan NuTone for less than $20 and just unplug and replace the fan.

RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
Have you checked youtube, most repair jobs are simple and there are plenty how to videos on this subject.
The first 5 minutes of this video is probably what anyone you hire is going to do if the replacement is the same size. I checked Lowes and Home Depot and you can buy a whole new unit Broan NuTone for less than $20 and just unplug and replace the fan.

OMG!!!!

The grille in this Youtube video is different, but otherwise, it looks like the fan is the same as the one in my bathroom.
This is exhaust fan that I have : https://www.homedepot.com/p/Broan-Nu...696N/100081599

Old 07-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #15

Good deal, then you should be able to do the repair without to much trouble then.
Youtube is always my first stop when anything breaks, I've saved a fortune over the years.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
It's about a 15 minute task.
Only if you live there and already have the needed components - all of them! - in place at home.

For anyone else, it's more like a two hour job from start to finish so $100 is entirely reasonable.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I've very handy and have replaced two of them in my in-laws 40 year old house. Trust me, it's worth the $100.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:02 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
It's an easy task just like replacing outdoor lights. You don't even have to switch off any breakers.
That's true almost all the time, but I still check with my multi-tester just in case some idiot put the switch AFTER the light.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
Good deal, then you should be able to do the repair without to much trouble then.
Youtube is always my first stop when anything breaks, I've saved a fortune over the years.
I do the same and also post DYI videos to help the YouTube community. I have only posted two but both can save you over a thousand each. I am about to post one on low voltage landscape light design and installation which can save you 90% versus having someone do it for you.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Only if you live there and already have the needed components - all of them! - in place at home.

For anyone else, it's more like a two hour job from start to finish so $100 is entirely reasonable.
According to the OP he has to supply the part. I do most repairs at home myself because check my work. If I had to call someone every time something broke down or needed maintenance, I would be out thousands every year. I just installed 47 low voltage lights around our home. I was getting quotes in the range of $14,500 to $16,850 for the job which I thought was insane. I saw many of the landscape lighting jobs done by so called professionals and they look terrible. It cost me $1150 in material and my time to do the job and it looks great.