Join Early Retirement Today

Landfill Harmonic... amazing!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Landfill Harmonic... amazing!

"The world sends us garbage. We send back music." -- Fabio Chavez, Orchestra director.

This is awesome!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Administrator

Amazing indeed.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow! Thanks for posting.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That was great! I couldn't believe how good the cello sounded*. And how did these kids get the music education - let alone the adults learn how to make instruments? I enjoyed hearing the interviews.

* I realized watching it again that they had switched to a real cello for the soundtrack.

This answered some of my questions: More heartbreak at the Landfill Harmonic
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That was great! I couldn't believe how good the cello sounded*. ...

* I realized watching it again that they had switched to a real cello for the soundtrack.
I noticed that switch right away (but I have some fairly decent little speakers connected to my laptop). Maybe nit-picking, but it was the only thing that marred it for me. By dubbing in a 'real' cello, it kind of sent the message that what they had wasn't good enough for the video, in addition to being a little deceptive.

The recycled cello didn't sound bad at all, they should be proud to show it off. No one expects it to sound like one Yo-Yo Ma would play. That's not the point - they have an instrument, they can learn, and it sounds OK. Heck, Buddy Guy's first 'guitar' was a wire he stretched over a piece of wood. I made a PVC flute as a little project with DD. It actually sounded very good, I like it better than some of the recorders and tin-flutes I've collected - but I'm not good enough to get the 'embouchure' it requires, but my daughters can.

It also seemed it would be easier to try to save these things at the source that is throwing them out, rather than dig through the landfill after the fact. Get 'em before they rust!

But very cool video, good to see these kids getting some instruments in their hands.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pretty amazing to make instruments from the landfill trash and they sounded amazing! A great video.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I noticed that switch right away (but I have some fairly decent little speakers connected to my laptop). Maybe nit-picking, but it was the only thing that marred it for me. By dubbing in a 'real' cello, it kind of sent the message that what they had wasn't good enough for the video, in addition to being a little deceptive.
-ERD50
I just had my iPad speakers on low which is why I missed the switch at the scene change the first time.