Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
About half of every college freshman class washes out and does not return. This has been replicated yearly since I went to college back in the Jurassic era.

The complexity of the coursework increases compared to high school, but that's not the biggest difficulty. What trips up most of the ones who don't make it is they don't know how to handle the independence.
Yep, exactly. Despite our best efforts to talk to my stepdaughter about this (on many occasions before she departed for college), it didn't stick. And this is not a kid who was a troublemaker during high school........she was basically an average student who did her homework, had some decent friends, etc.. But when she got to college, forget it..........skipped classes, too much partying, you know the rest. I won't tell you the whole sad story, but she did not last too long there, suffice it to say. I am not saying that your son/daughter's experience is going to be like ours, but that it happens. I am not sure that we could have done anything differently to prepare her for college.....she is just someone that has to make her own mistakes (sometimes over and over) before she learns from them.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

This has been my daily mantra and will probably be my parting words of wisdom when DD goes off to college in 3 years..

Look both ways before you cross!
HappyMinimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd tell a son,"that's a downspout, not a compass".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Last chance words of wisdom for your kid on the day you drop them off at college...
Old 08-21-2017, 05:40 AM   #44

Last chance words of wisdom for your kid on the day you drop them off at college...

It will start today with a merciless 9AM class - I know what he's thinking "who in gods name schedules music at 9AM?" I think around 1 or so I'll text him: So what was being awake at 9AM like?

It is out of my hands - that doesn't mean I can't poke him a bit.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
It will start today with a merciless 9AM class - I know what he's thinking "who in gods name schedules music at 9AM?" I think around 1 or so I'll text him: So what was being awake at 9AM like?

9AM?! Ha! Try 7am for 3-hour chem labs! (both ways uphill and in the snow, of course)
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well hopefully he was awake before 9, one can hope I know more a few kids that scheduled all their classes around when started and not class content..and off the top of my hear these kids had a higher then usual drop out rate.

One of my daughters best buds from high school a dude, flunked out of the U of Minn because his roommate was a genius. Said roommate never had to study or even go to class most of the time and still got A's...buddy from HS joined in but he wasn't a genius and ended up flunking out....
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #47

Quote:
5. Just graduating isn't enough you need good grades to land a job.
Yes, good grades are nice but in my opinion they are not as important as internships and being socially adept. In a few years I will encourage my child to get out of their shell as much as possible, be social, do public speaking, join Toastmasters, join a Greek letter organization, etc.... Plus, I will encourage internships starting in high school.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #48

I liked Gumby's advice. Or, as Polonius (?) said to Hamlet, "To thine own self be true." Of course, Hamlet spent the rest of the play indecisively obsessing about what his self wanted to do. So, like all advice, it's much simpler in the saying than the doing.

I would probably not offer unsolicited advice, just support them and express confidence in their abilities. How I've acted toward them will be what they really learn from, not any particular advice about what they should do/be.

Plus, I know I was pretty rebellious as a teenager, so any advice I give would probably be guarantee that my kid would go in the other direction.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote