Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2019, 06:46 AM   #21

Parents just bought their last home. They moved to a same size (~1900 sf) SFH, but this time in a 55+. Here in S.Fla there are a lot of options for these communities. They initially looked at condo's, then villa/townhouses, but never found the right fit.

All exterior maintenance - painting, lawn, trees and shrubs - is HOA done. Home is only a 6 years old so likely will never even need a new roof. AC is 1 year old. Manned Gate so home is lock and leave for vacations. HOA has resort style pool and gym, tennis, etc. House is on a small lake so they have a nice view. Neighbors both sides are snow birds so gone more than half the year. Peace and quiet and low stress.

Me and DS have convinced them to hire in most inside help now too (repaint, major repairs). They have 12 foot ceilings everywhere so we told them they aren't even allowed to change a light bulb now lol (and they are all LEDs anyway). M&D are both very healthy mid-70's but very aware that a bad fall is a one way ticket to ending that.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Parents just bought their last home. They moved to a same size (~1900 sf) SFH, but this time in a 55+. Here in S.Fla there are a lot of options for these communities. They initially looked at condo's, then villa/townhouses, but never found the right fit.
Are they inland or close to the beach?
Old 06-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

One of our past governors decided to get on his roof at 75 in Vegas heat despite being a millionaire and his wife begging him not to. He fell off and died. There are times you should just admit you aren’t as young as you used to be.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Are they inland or close to the beach?
Inland about 7 miles, about 16 ft elevation
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

We moved from a rural log home (still own it) to an urban apartment for my husband's work. After a few years we realized we were of an age to not like the idea of being a 30 minute drive from good shopping, doctors and dentists, etc. but were tired of huge rent and pitfalls of apartment life, so we bought a 3-level condo with 2 bedrooms, 4 (!) bathrooms, office and garage. I really think the stairs have an impact on our general fitness (I'm 62, he's 68 with 2 hip replacements).

Even though we're home all day, we don't get bothered by other people around, noise, etc. Having units on both sides means our heating and cooling costs stay pretty low, and it feels "safe" (as opposed to being out of range of neighbors at the cabin, which isn't bad, but it does have a "if I scream no one would hear me" feeling). Neither of us want more than our postage stamp yard at the condo, since there's so much to take care of at the other place. I can see wanting more space, though, if this was our only residence...the thought of not having the cabin feels kind of claustrophobic.
kwblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

KWblack,
Do you feel the stairs are good or bad for your health?
My wife wants a 1st floor master but, I don't care and don't mind stairs.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
KWblack,
Do you feel the stairs are good or bad for your health?
My wife wants a 1st floor master but, I don't care and don't mind stairs.
I think it's been good for us. At first I was breathing hard going from the 1st to 3rd level but after a while I didn't think about it. We did have to do some shifting around when DH got his hip replacement and when I seriously sprained my ankle and had an air cast but not that bad. I didn't go looking for a 3 level home but glad I didn't rule it out.
kwblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:15 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

We are totally happy with the 1500+sf home we own in our CCRC. probably not too attractive at age 40 or 50, but available for those 55 and older.
All outside maintenance, winter and summer... snow, lawn and trees and shrubs HOA fee just went up from $125/mo, to $150/mo. First increase since 2004.

No worry about the future,as when we're ready, automatic move to apartment, assisted living, rehab, nursing home or Alzheimer unit.. all on campus. All handicapped friendly, w/ elevators where necessary.

Not the little house on the lake, but all new, reasonable cost, and nothing to fear for the future... either moving or money.

A little more here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2240167 post #12.

If there's a "campus" type CCRC in your area, it may be worth a look.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwblack View Post
I think it's been good for us. At first I was breathing hard going from the 1st to 3rd level but after a while I didn't think about it. We did have to do some shifting around when DH got his hip replacement and when I seriously sprained my ankle and had an air cast but not that bad. I didn't go looking for a 3 level home but glad I didn't rule it out.
Our neighbors in Florida are a retired couple ages 80 and 77. They own a very nice stilt house (the area floods occasionally)..........so there are quite a few steps to get up to the living quarters. They told me last year that they are fine with the steps, as the exercise they get going up and down daily is a good thing, and keeps them healthy and in good shape. I understand that some people with poor health could not do what they do, but I hope to be able to do what they do when I reach their age.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Stairs are not always just a choice. Knees, hips can become injured or wear out. My MIL would not have been able to stay in her house without the fortune of having an elevator after a hip injury.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I lived in a snowbird condo 4 months out of the year, and our primary residence is a 3800 sf house on 5 wooded acres on a lake. Total opposites on the maintenance spectrum. At the house, I probably spend 30-40 hours per week on house and grounds upkeep. At the condo, the only maintenance that I did was change the smoke detector batteries.

That said, I found the condo to be confining. No workshop, only a 1 car garage, only 1 tv, no home office.

But a decision on house vs condo should be made on what you anticipate your needs to be years down the road. We sold our condo because of the above reasons. Now we are going to sell our house because of the maintenance. I want to buy a small house that has little maintenance yet gives me a little of what our current house has. Something that will fit what I believe our needs will be 10 years down the road.

I feel about the same way. I don't think I could be happy in a condo for the reasons Ronstar cited, plus the noise/close neighbor issues. So if/when we move out of the house we are in, it will probably be to a smaller house, where I can still have a little space for a workshop and a garden, plus more privacy than I could probably get in a condo unit. Yes, I know a house involves some maintenance, but I need to keep active for as long as possible anyway, so I don't mind doing a few maintenance chores, as long as they are not overwhelming.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote