Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2008, 05:23 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Same here - DW puts her clothes in the basket in the closet. I do too, but I also have clothes scattered in piles throughout the house
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
A triple hanging-mesh-bag hamper thing in the bedroom. A bag for whites, reds/yellows, other colors. It works okay for the two of us.
Like this?
Supreme Chrome Laundry Center

Works great except everybody else in the family just drops thier stuff on the floor next to it.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I could so see a dwelling with a dumbwaiter (mechanical or electric).
Reminds me of the old parody of Jackie Kennedy doing a White House Tour, "and here is the Richard Nixon dumbwaiter."
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:07 AM   #44

We (well, mostly I) use a combination of "on the floor" and laundry baskets. She uses laundry baskets exclusively, except for hanging things on doorknobs. The laundry room is between the garage and the hallway and the baskets are on top of the dryer. Clothes on the floor sometimes stay where they're left, sometimes levitate to the laundry basket by themselves.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nope. They are not cheap, and I think I saw them at some specialty online kayak places. I'd hope they are well made.
My dad rigged up a simple pulley system to lift our canoe off the car. He also had pulleys to crank up various other items in our garage/shop and barn. Pretty simple and even though he set those up 50 years ago they all still work. Next time I am out at the farm maybe I will remember to take a few pictures.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My dad rigged up a simple pulley system to lift our canoe off the car. He also had pulleys to crank up various other items in our garage/shop and barn. Pretty simple and even though he set those up 50 years ago they all still work. Next time I am out at the farm maybe I will remember to take a few pictures.
i have one of those homemade systems in my garage for lifting the fiberglas pickup truck cap. all we needed was some pulleys, good sturdy rope, and wall mounted cleats for tying off rope. it was designed and installed by 2 nutty engineers.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

All the commercial rigs have a safety device that must be released to allow the load to lower (either a pawl on the crank used to pull the rope or a clamp that grips the rope itself). Probably something about lawyers, liability insurance, crushed skulls, etc. You'd think common sense would be enough ("don't let go of the rope or something bad will happen")
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
All the commercial rigs have a safety device that must be released to allow the load to lower (either a pawl on the crank used to pull the rope or a clamp that grips the rope itself). Probably something about lawyers, liability insurance, crushed skulls, etc. You'd think common sense would be enough ("don't let go of the rope or something bad will happen")
You could always just have the rope go through a locking belay like a GriGri
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
You could always just have the rope go through a locking belay like a GriGri
Not to derail the thread or anything ... But I HATE those freakin' things.
My climbing gym has had a couple of broken limbs as a result of
people getting lowered too fast with grigri's. I think lawyers like
them because they seem safer to their simple minds. And in the
climbing phase, maybe they ARE safer - but you GOTTA lower the
climber at some point. The only exception tomy condemnation
might be in the case where the belayer is much smaller than the
climber ...
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #50

Dropping the climber too fast is really the belayer's fault not the equipment. You're not supposed to just disengage the break and let them fall. disengaging the break just turns it into any other belaying device and you have to use pull the rope to the side just like any other belay.

I'm not a fan of getting lowered by someone else in any circumstance so I always just go to the top and repel down.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
Dropping the climber too fast is really the belayer's fault not the equipment. You're not supposed to just disengage the break and let them fall. disengaging the break just turns it into any other belaying device and you have to use pull the rope to the side just like any other belay.
I don't think the gri-gris at our gym will lock off the rope like an ATC does
when you pull back on the non-climber end. I guess you could put it "in
series" with an ATC
Quote:
I'm not a fan of getting lowered by someone else in any circumstance so I always just go to the top and repel down.
Not allowed at most gyms.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
Not allowed at most gyms.
Bah gyms, who needs 'em. There's cliffs a plenty and homemade climbing walls all over the place here. Walls are fun because you can jump over the edge and then run straight down risking every bone in your body at once. But traditional repelling off cliffs is fun too.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
i have one of those homemade systems in my garage for lifting the fiberglas pickup truck cap. all we needed was some pulleys, good sturdy rope, and wall mounted cleats for tying off rope. it was designed and installed by 2 nutty engineers.
I'm looking at doing something similar. I want to build a cedar strip canoe or kayak The Newfound Woodworks - Cedar Strip and Plywood Canoe, Kayak and Rowboat Kits! , but DW doesnt want it "junking" up the garage. So I'm going to rig up a pulley system in the attic attached to the rafters, so the boat can be hoisted up through the attic scuttle.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

This has been one of the best thread hijacks ever. From laundry on the floor to pulley storage systems.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote