Join Early Retirement Today

Lauren Bacall dead at 89
Old 08-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lauren Bacall dead at 89

I'm saddened to hear this. She was wonderful in "To Have and Have Not". http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/mo...t-89.html?_r=0
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #2

She was one of the all time greats. May she rest in peace.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Been a tough year in the entertainment industry. She was one of my faves too. Still getting over Robin Williams.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Bacall delivered one of the sexiest lines in film history, with her "You just put your lips together and blow." How could Bogie not have fallen in love with her?
TimSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #5

Bacall was the last of the glamourous icons, 16 in all, that Madonna included in her 1990 song Vogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=GuJQSAiODqI
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:16 AM   #6

Most of today's "stars" couldn't hold a candle against her. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

She had elegance, style and grace.

Qualities rarely found today in the acting world. Sally Quinn has an article about her in the Wash Post today, much better than anything I could write.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
She had elegance, style and grace.

Qualities rarely found today in the acting world. Sally Quinn has an article about her in the Wash Post today, much better than anything I could write.
Not to derail the thread, but I wonder if the lack of elegance, style and grace in most of the female (and male) stars these days is more a reflection of what we the audience want to see. Lots of skin, "reality" TV drama, extreme violence/gore, etc... seem to be the hallmarks of modern entertainment. True, such things "sell" when it comes to the box office and eyeballs (reflected in the sales of products advertised during commercials), but I can't help but wonder whether we as a culture are to blame for what passes for entertainment these days. It's almost like the transition from intellectual Greek dramas, tragedies and comedies, to the Roman colesium with its crude shows of gladiators, lions and persecuted people of the day.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 08-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I don't think I will ever tire of seeing "Key Largo". She was extremely good.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Not to derail the thread, but I wonder if the lack of elegance, style and grace in most of the female (and male) stars these days is more a reflection of what we the audience want to see. Lots of skin, "reality" TV drama, extreme violence/gore, etc... seem to be the hallmarks of modern entertainment. True, such things "sell" when it comes to the box office and eyeballs (reflected in the sales of products advertised during commercials), but I can't help but wonder whether we as a culture are to blame for what passes for entertainment these days. It's almost like the transition from intellectual Greek dramas, tragedies and comedies, to the Roman colesium with its crude shows of gladiators, lions and persecuted people of the day.
You do have a point.

Seems to me most are unclear on the concept of sensuality. Let it all hang out is not part of it.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #11

Not sure if anyone saw this article on her in the Washington Post:

Lauren Bacall, always the life of the party - The Washington Post
Old 08-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Old 08-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Lauren Bacall dead at 89

Miss Bacall was also in another movie with a beautiful actress: "Murder On The Orient Express", with Ingrid Bergman.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote