Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

if I had a dinky yard I'd get a battery powered mower like an ego.

I have an ego trimmer and ego blower and those things blow (pun intended) similar gas powered models away

since I have to mow an acre I have a husquevarna awd walk-behind gas mower
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Egad about the dead guy and the mower! That's why I got the little Sun Joe. I'm a 59 year old woman who actually enjoys mowing my tiny yard--and it is MN so heat stroke is rarely an issue. I can literally push the Sun Joe with one finger. I have a little hilly part in the front yard down to the sidewalk and could not do it with a heavier mower. The cord is a royal pain but just something to put up with. I can mow both the front and back yards in about 1/2 hour. Blissfully, winter is coming and then no mowing for 7 months! (Of course there is shoveling. . .another story all together
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
30,000 people a year perish in auto accidents. Do you think about that every time you see someone in a car?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
No, but I may if I'd seen a car crash that was horrific as this incident was. Guess you had to be there. This just happened last year, so I'm sure the memory will fade.
OneDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:56 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
I've used electric for much of my adult mowing life - today's are much cheaper and better than 20+ years ago. I see two major advantages: 1) I never have to store/carry/transfer gas, and 2) It is MUCH quieter than any gas mower.

+1. We have a small patch of "lawn" that needs to be mowed occasionally. We have been using the same electric mower now for about 15yrs with NO trouble or maintenance.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:30 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
How are you going to avoid ever having to ride in a car again, for $35/week, and yet live an identical version of your present lifestyle but with more free time? Sounds like a great plan.

I think a lot more people die from sitting on their butts than from mowing their lawns. If you just want to buy convenience, have at it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:59 AM   #26

I'll also vouch for the Honda mower. My first one lasted 26 years with just the scheduled maintenance until a rear axle broke and since it was self-propelled I didn't bother fixing it because the parts were expensive and well, it was 26 years old and I figured it was time for other stuff like the clutch to wear out. (The engine stays running when you let the handle go instead of shutting off like most mowers.) So I simply bought a new Honda mower, figuring it might outlast me.

We also have a self-propelled Lawn-boy mower with electric start Briggs & Stratton engine that DW likes a lot. She just doesn't have the upper body strength to spin the engine fast enough to start it. We initially bought it for use at FIL's house and left it there at the time. It's about six or seven years old now and I just had to replace the cable that attaches to the transmission. DW likes it better than the Honda because it is much lighter in weight. There is also no choke or fuel valve so she doesn't have to remember those things. Her mechanical skills are, shall we say, minimal. It's lighter weight because it looks like it was made with cheaper parts, like the thin stamped steel deck. In normal use I'd give it about ten years, less if not stored under roof.

So when I bought the new Honda mower I got the one with electric start because DW likes to mow once in a while. After I got it home she said it was too heavy for her to use.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I think a lot more people die from sitting on their butts than from mowing their lawns. If you just want to buy convenience, have at it.

I need the exercise so I don't mind mowing a smallish yard. Now when I become, I'll hire it done.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to sleep on it. Kind of leaning towards a cordless. Batteries still bother me a bit, but I think a cord might be a headache when mowing down the sides of the house. Not ruling out another Briggs and Stratton type mower. Even if I only get 3 years out of one, still pretty cheap mowing. The one I have is pushing 6 years and I paid $150 for it.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:08 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I've got a new Honda self propelled mower, and it's great. I've worn out 4 or 5 of them in the last 35 years. I mow my 4 houses with a zero turn mower.

For a very small yard, research the lithium cordless mowers. They're very light and the new style batteries make the charge last so much longer. They're the way to go in your situation.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I would recommend calling/visiting a local lawn mower repair place as they will very often have used ones for sale. When my Dad's 4 cycle died (after about 20 years), I picked up another one for about $50 and it hasn't given us any issues for about 4 years.

And I know I will hear it from someone, but in my 30 some-odd years of mowing grass..I have NEVER changed the oil in the mower...check the level? Yes. Change it? No.

My SIL also has a reel trimmer and has been using it for about 3 years; she loves it.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I have a very small yard and use a reel mower. As long as it is kept sharp and any small twigs are picked up first it does a great job.
+1
Picking up twigs/debris prior to mowing makes a big difference with a reel mower. I had a small yard at my last house and used a reel mower the last few years there. It was nice not having to deal with a power cord, gas, etc.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDay View Post
Last year about this time, I was driving home from work, out of the corner of my eye I see a guy laying down with what looks like a push mower on top of his legs, I turn around pull in the drive, sure enough an elderly gentleman had a heart attack and fell backwards and pulled the mower on top of him, he was dead. I think of that every time I see an elderly person mowing.
This is a very good point about reel mowers.
Imagine if he had an electric or gas mower, you would have only seen part of him

Of course, the counter argument is he died exactly because the of extra effort of the reel mower, and would still be alive if he had a self propelled Toro mower (with variable speed to match your walking) as I do.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
+1
Picking up twigs/debris prior to mowing makes a big difference with a reel mower. I had a small yard at my last house and used a reel mower the last few years there. It was nice not having to deal with a power cord, gas, etc.
What kind did you have?
Old 08-31-2016, 02:40 PM   #33

I have a Fiskars reel mower, bought for $35 on CL. We have a small amount of grass in the front and back yards, and it works fine for our needs. If the grass gets too tall, I do need to make a couple of passes at different heights to get it cut down to my preferred length (it binds up if you try to cut tall grass very short).
Old 08-31-2016, 03:19 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Good thread--we will either replace our mower soon or go to a yard service, or both. I just finished mowing. I like mowing the lawn (I think this should be everyone's first decision whenever possible, for everything: do you like doing it?), and if it gives me a heart attack, so be it. So might a pilates class (and since that's something I don't like, I'm pretty sure that won't happen). And I thought the same thing as travelover re death by car vs mower. But I digress. Our yard is not too big but not small and we typically just replace the inexpensive gas push mowers every ten or so years (machine maintenance ranks below pilates in my like-to-do column so no maintenance ever done on them). I just know we would chop a cord in half on the first outing so an electric is out. I'm thinking we will move to self-propelled and no lawn service, or inexpensive gas push mower and occasional lawn service. I appreciate the comments here as food for thought!
Old 08-31-2016, 03:37 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I'd rather have my heart attack in an air-conditioned gym... YMMV...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
What kind did you have?
Great States was the brand - believe it was this model:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-States-.../dp/B00002N691

But I think I bought it at Home Depot or Lowes for under $100 (although that was several years ago).
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:19 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
I've had a Honda mower for 15 years. Starts on one pull. Never any issues. I wish every product was this reliable. Best value for your $, even with a smallish yard.
+1

For a small lot a non-self propelled Honda is a great value. Almost overkill. A generic version with a Honda motor might be more cost-effective. For bigger yards I prefer Toro lawnmowers as they seem to me to have more power and usually have higher height settings which is my biggest complaint about my Honda.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #38

If the yard is flat and easy to mow, I'd get a good quality reel mower and not hassle with batteries, cords, or gas.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Great States was the brand - believe it was this model:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-States-.../dp/B00002N691

What kind of grass did you have? Mine is mostly centipede but does have a little bermuda in the back, but not a lot. Most reviews I have seen suggest buying a 7 blade for bermuda. I'm assuming 7 would be fine for centipede too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
If the yard is flat and easy to mow, I'd get a good quality reel mower and not hassle with batteries, cords, or gas.
My yard is flat, but does have just a little bermuda grass in the back as mentioned above. It can get thick there, but most reviews I have seen indicate 7 blades will handle it fine. My overall lot with house is 5000 sq ft, back out the house & driveway...... I doubt I have 3000 sf ft to mow. I'm think I'm going to give it a try. If it doesn't work out, I'll give it to my nephew as he has a small lot as well. Going to keep my old gas mower for backup in case grass gets too tall to mow with the reel mower(when out of town). It should make it through the rest of the season.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
I've had a Honda mower for 15 years. Starts on one pull. Never any issues. I wish every product was this reliable. Best value for your $, even with a smallish yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
+1 Same on our 12 year old Honda mower - worth every penny.
niven is offline   Reply With Quote