Join Early Retirement Today

Lawn Sprays.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lawn Sprays.

Our 7 pound yorkie went into severe convulsions and tremors, so bad we rushed him into the Vets, On emeregncy.

A day later, having had his stomache cleaned and put on IV to flush his system, the Vets prognosis is that someone in our area used a chemical on their lawns to kill weeds and he walked on their lawn.

Professionals tag the lawns to let you know they have been sprayed, but DIY , you don't know they have applied Weed N' Feed.

The bags say, stay off or 48 hours, but I wonder how many people apply this stuff, then let their kids go play on the grass??

Our town is debating banning weed killer applications, a move I will now support, the rain washes this stuff into the waterways, eventually ends up in drinking water.

Dog is fine, but Parents and other pet owners, be aware, the chemicals spread on lawns is harmful.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Lawn Sprays.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yikes!

Two dogs here - 4 mo old PUG and 4 yr Golden. Am in the process along with Walmart Garden Center of relearning everthing I forgot about lawns 30 yrs ago.

Something to keep in mind.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We have flower gardens and a small lawn. I don't use insecticides beyond homemade insecticidal soap and BT. I don't use weed killer and most days I go out and dig a few dandelions out of the lawn. I pull weeds daily out of the flower beds. There are always weeds, but they don't get away from me if I pull daily. The worst are the grasses that seems to come up everywhere. I try to crowd the weeds out by planting the flowers close.

The lawn and gardens are not worth the risks of exposing ourselves and our pets to chemicals on a regular basis.

To fertilize I use compost, blood meal and bone meal.

I have used the all purpose all encompassing killer Roundup in the past in select areas but have used utmost care (gloves, no wind, no pets).

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm no gardener, but I do enjoy taking a blow torch to weeds once in a while.* * I don't think it works very well, but blow torches are cool!

And don't forget:

Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.* * -- Eeyore
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote