Join Early Retirement Today

Re: LazyDays
Old 08-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

She'll especially love the gold-plated commode.

I'm pretty sure the $9.6MM isn't hers.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Lazy Daze Island Bed--750# CCC is a real deal breaker though. *:P
Keep in mind that the 750# CCC on Lazy Daze is calculated with the vehicle already loaded to the hilt. *Full water, full gas, full sleeping capacity (4 people, 160# each, I think). *So, the 750 is for the clothes, food, and toys that you bring with you. *It's not a lot, but it's not trivial either.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345

I'm pretty sure the $9.6MM isn't hers.
And it looks like it isn't anybody else's either.*

(it would be nice if loan work was on a commission. . . )

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute & Fuzzy Apocalypse
Rich: Just to goad you on :. If you buy one and park on the edge of your driveway, it should be easy to keep tarped. Just attach some tennis balls to 10-20 foot ropes tied to your tarp. Throw the balls over the top of you brand new, shiny-- and very nice, I might add--motorhome. Pull the tarp over, and secure. Done in 2-3 minutes. Easy off too. Ready to adventure or whatever comes your way/Borrrnnn to be wild 8)--for old farts.
So after all this, it boils down to nothing more than tennis balls?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Keep in mind that the 750# CCC on Lazy Daze is calculated with the vehicle already loaded to the hilt. *Full water, full gas, full sleeping capacity (4 people, 160# each, I think). *So, the 750 is for the clothes, food, and toys that you bring with you. *It's not a lot, but it's not trivial either.
The problem with this low a CCC is that it does not allow much room for boondocking weights where you have to carry in all your water, food, gas, clothes, playing cards, firewood, lawn chairs, horse shoes, etc. *If you have 4 people that weigh over 154# each; have full water, gas and LP tanks and have enough food for all these people for 5 days you are over your weight limit and the vehicle is no longer safe. *

If you only travel with two skinny people; don't need full water tanks and only camp where you can have full hookups then you might get by with the low CCC; otherwise, I can't see two people limiting their personal items plus food, beverages, camping items, clothing, toys and other basics to not exceed the CCC. *Keep in mind that if you add solar panels, additional batteries or any other options they are not in the CCC computed by Lazy Daze. *I would love to have one but the CCC for this unit on the Ford F-450 is not enough for a 30 foot RV with heavy construction features. *Otherwise, I would have already placed my order. *If they are smart they will go with the Chevy Kodiac chassis and get the added CCC and power. *That is why I am looking very hard at the Jayco on the Kodiac chassis. *
Old 08-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Jayco Seneca HG-looking at a 2006 but still very expensive.

Lazy Daze Island Bed--750# CCC is a real deal breaker though. *:P

BigFoot 3000

Bornfree 32 footer

The BigFoot is a nice heavy duty machine, but I find the floor plans a bit off.

The Bornfree's are beautiful. *Last year we looked at a few when we were down in Florida. *The fit and finish sure is *nice. *The 32" must be the new Born Free on the heavy duty chasis. *Cost is a bit daunting as compared to the LD, but I agree the ccc is at the minimum I would want on the LD. *

If you are willing to spend the bigger bucks, have you also looked at the Isata?

Old 08-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We have been bitten by the RV bug also. *
I'm not implying criticism or making fun of anyone's lifestyle, but this is a typical comment that mystifies me. *I'm also alternately fascinated & horrified with the amount of engineering that's packed into an RV and what can go wrong with it. *

I've been reading this thread with amazement. *I guess I have an outsider's perpsective that most of you would feel if T-Al & Ronin & I started having a three-page thread about design & construction in the new/used longboard industry. *Or if Cut-Throat revved up a four-page thread on fly-tying or Dory got us going on boating. *It reminds me of the dressage enthusiasts our family used to spend our time with.

I've been around RVs before but I've never used one for travel so I appreciate that "I wouldn't understand". *When I was growing up in the '60s & '70s we used to see a lot of Winnebagos on vacation-- I can remember Dad jokingly calling them "Runnamuckas" and telling me that the ladder on the back went up to the rooftop swimming pool. *And I can remember dodging around them once in a while on '80s road trips.

But in Hawaii about the only time you see an RV is when a TV show or a movie is shooting on location. *I think most of them are based on tour buses. *I remember for Disney's Pearl Harbor movie that several of the top 10 people actually shipped their RVs over to the island for their own comforts of home. *If I wanted to drive an RV on Oahu or a neighbor island I wouldn't even know where to start looking for one.

I'm trying to imagine "hitting the open road" and driving around the country, pulling into national parks & remote areas to relax with the comforts of home, or living a peripatetic PT existence with a mail-forwarding service and a satellite dish. *But I can't even imagine doing it with a camper on the back of a pickup truck, let alone an RV. *The kid and I would be using backpacks and a small tent like T-Al, and we'd be on our own. *(My spouse thinks that "roughing it" happens in places where Room Service closes at 10 PM.) *And as soon as any temperatures dipped below 70 degrees I'd be heading for the exit.

Maybe it's all that time I spent traveling on underwater RVs. *For the other one or two of you who might feel ambiguity about traveling this way, I guess you really have to be passionate about the lifestyle to want to spend your time dealing with the hardware. *Just send me the highlights video...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #88

Quote:
The problem with this low a CCC is that it does not allow much room for boondocking weights where you have to carry in all your water, food, gas, clothes, playing cards, firewood, lawn chairs, horse shoes, etc. *If you have 4 people that weigh over 154# each; have full water, gas and LP tanks and have enough food for all these people for 5 days you are over your weight limit and the vehicle is no longer safe. *
Just to make sure we're on the same page.* The 4 people, full water, full gas, full LP are already included in the calculation.* So the 750 is for food, clothes, playing cards, firewood, lawn chairs, horse shoes, etc.

Quote:
Keep in mind that if you add solar panels, additional batteries or any other options they are not in the CCC computed by Lazy Daze.
True.* Solar panels, and additional batteries are not included.* Although LD comes with two batteries (one for the chassis, one for the house).
Old 08-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Eh, my first reaction is similar to yours, Nords, but I am in a spot. *Its a major logistical exercise to pack all our crap into the car for an afternoon trip to my parents' place an hour away. *I can't imagine what an actual camping trip would be like. *I've got all the gear and have been tent camping since I was a kid (gotta love those Feb and Jan camping trips in upstate NY), but the last time I got to go was the week we found out DW was pregnant for the first time. *Given the choice of getting to travel more than an hour or two away in a camper van (the ones we are looking at are maybe 3 feet longer than our minivan), or not getting to go at all, I can tolerate a lot of hardware issues.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Don't rain on my parade Nords my friend. * Our RV is a lot less work and a lot less headaches than our cabin was and is a lot more fun. *

We bought a very highly rated RV and bought it new. *It has its gizmos and gadgets that can go wrong, but it isn't a submarine. *If the dump tank sensor goes out of wack nothing bad will happen. *Well not too bad. *

Old 08-21-2006, 03:00 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Just to make sure we're on the same page.* The 4 people, full water, full gas, full LP are already included in the calculation.* So the 750 is for food, clothes, playing cards, firewood, lawn chairs, horse shoes, etc.

True.* Solar panels, and additional batteries are not included.* Although LD comes with two batteries (one for the chassis, one for the house).
Actually, there are two house batteries that are standard.* And there isn't a place to squeeze any more.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam

The calculations for CCC do include full fluids and 4 154# passengers but not all their food, clothing, supplies, toys, hardware, jpots, pans, dishes, personal care items, extra hoses, lawn chairs, etc. that all add up pretty fast. *

I don't want to have to weigh everything that I put in the unit and my wish list of options would also add additional weight and cut into the CCC even more. *It is just not what I want to have to worry about.

Martha,
I did look at the Dynamax units but found them to be more than I want to spend on similar floor plans and features. *I think the Jayco Seneca offers better value and more service options and a floor plan that we think will work for us with the fewest nunber of slides.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Actually, there are two house batteries that are standard.* And there isn't a place to squeeze any more.
You're right. *I forgot that they serialize TWO 6-volt batteries, to make one 12-volt.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The problem with this low a CCC is that it does not allow much room for boondocking weights where you have to carry in all your water, food, gas, clothes, playing cards, firewood, lawn chairs, horse shoes, etc. If you have 4 people that weigh over 154# each; have full water, gas and LP tanks and have enough food for all these people for 5 days you are over your weight limit and the vehicle is no longer safe.
I understood that CCC includes two 154 lb passengers. And CCC limits does not mean you can't tow a small trailer as well. Just some thoughts.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Don't rain on my parade Nords my friend. * Our RV is a lot less work and a lot less headaches than our cabin was and is a lot more fun. *

We bought a very highly rated RV and bought it new. *It has its gizmos and gadgets that can go wrong, but it isn't a submarine. *If the dump tank sensor goes out of wack nothing bad will happen. *Well not too bad. *

The cabin in the woods is a ton of work with not much payback and it is stuck in one place. *We have been thinking about this for several months and finanally made the decision to sell the cabin but to take some of the equity and buy something that we can use for a few years that moves but provides a comfortable means of travel and has the added benefit of knowing who slept in your bed last. *I have already experienced the downside to that last statment and don't care to ever repeat it. *

The gadgets and gizmos are all part of the RV lifestyle. *Not too different from the cabin really...water tanks, water pump, septic tanks (holding tanks), LP gas, generator for electricity, small storage space, small sleeping areas, small food storage, small kitchen, etc. *The good part about an RV is that if I don't like where I am....I can move. *
Old 08-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I understood that CCC includes two 154 lb passengers. And CCC limits does not mean you can't tow a small trailer as well. Just some thoughts.
Rich,
CCC does include people but not their stuff nor does it include tongue weights for trailers.* Tongue weight takes away from the CCC.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Eh, my first reaction is similar to yours, Nords, but I am in a spot.* Its a major logistical exercise to pack all our crap into the car for an afternoon trip to my parents' place an hour away.* I can't imagine what an actual camping trip would be like.
Heaven help you, it sounds like you're raising TWO of the model we have.* In your shoes I'd vote for reproducing your home with a mobile version too.

Friends of ours backpacked two kids in diapers all over Europe (they were stationed in Italy at the time).* As they were posting their latest photos of their hostel or camping weekend in the Alps, we thought it was a major tour de force to spend an afternoon at the beach without actually bringing the entire houseful of baby support equipment or having to visit the emergency room.

Quote:
Don't rain on my parade Nords my friend. * Our RV is a lot less work and a lot less headaches than our cabin was and is a lot more fun.
I'm sorry-- I admit that it's an RV thing and I do not understand...

Quote:
If the dump tank sensor goes out of wack nothing bad will happen.* Well not too bad.*
... but the sensor isn't the problem as much as laying awake at night knowing that it wasn't working!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

The idea of traveling in an RV appeals but I worry that the rest stops are a problem. Is it easy to find nice, beach front (and equivalent in mountains, etc) places to park those beasts? Also, I recently passed thru the second happy day of my boating life (the sale). Are RVs similar to boats for a lot of us - i.e., the hassle is just too much to bear?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:12 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
The idea of traveling in an RV appeals but I worry that the rest stops are a problem. Is it easy to find nice, beach front (and equivalent in mountains, etc) places to park those beasts? Also, I recently passed thru the second happy day of my boating life (the sale). Are RVs similar to boats for a lot of us - i.e., the hassle is just too much to bear?
Can't answer that having not had the experience, but I am also a bit unsure about it. That's why I am limiting myself to smaller (but not too small) units which are only slightly bigger than a van, smaller than a hummer, and close to a large SUV in some dimensions.

Not cheap, but at least I can park it in a parking lot and use it as the second car until I sell it in frustration .

As to campgrounds, many favor the national and state parks, and here in Fla, there are gorgeous ocean or gulf county parks. Not sure that KOA is my cup of tea, but neither is Joe's Motel on the side of the interstate, either. Given the boomer demographic right behind me, reselling should be no problem other than the depreciation hit if you buy new.

Hey, Greg: I measured my driveway very carefully, and chalked off the dimensions of the View. I think it would fit .

Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm trying to imagine "hitting the open road" and driving around the country, pulling into national parks & remote areas to relax with the comforts of home, or living a peripatetic PT existence with a mail-forwarding service and a satellite dish. *But I can't even imagine doing it with a camper on the back of a pickup truck, let alone an RV.

*For the other one or two of you who might feel ambiguity about traveling this way, I guess you really have to be passionate about the lifestyle to want to spend your time dealing with the hardware. *Just send me the highlights video...
Well, I'm sure it's an individual thing. *Wanderlust can be very powerful for some folks, and we find that we much prefer living in an RV to living in a house that is "stuck" in a fixed location. *That is in spite of the gee-whiz technology that can go wrong so easily, and we've had some doozies. *But I still can't imagine living any other way - at least right now.

And as a form of travel we way prefer it to cars/motels/hotels or fly/rental car/hotel. *Just night and day.

You need a lot of available time to enjoy an RV if you own one. *Weekends are pretty short considering driving time anywhere and the fact that you have to set up and break camp, as well as pack the RV for a trip. *You need to be able to take several weeks off a year to really enjoy one. *I feel bad for folks who drive long days and are always in a hurry because they don't have enough time to enjoy their RV. *It's way better if you can be very laid back about travel - have loads of time, be able to change plans at the last minute, drive short distances on driving days, etc.

If you own an RV and a house, you really have a lot to take care of.

For the rest stop question - we use rest areas all the time. *They provide ample parking for trucks/big rigs. *Rest areas are often placed at a scenic location. *There is nothing quite so nice as pulling into a rest area, turning around, and you're home! *You can fix yourself a nice lunch, use your own bathroom, take a nap if you want, watch some TV if you want, use the internet if you want. *It really doesn't matter where you are, you are home!

Audrey