LBYM CEO style

Scrooge

Recycles dryer sheets
Here is an interesting article about LBYM CEO style:

What kind of car does the boss drive?

PR NEWSWIRE

CHICAGO — Do you know what kind of car your boss drives and how much it cost? Is your car type or color on par with others in your profession? According to a survey commissioned by CareerBuilder.com and Cars.com, perceptions are very different from reality.

Not surprisingly, a majority (59 percent) of survey respondents think a typical CEO drives a luxury vehicle. The car most commonly associated with a company’s CEO is a black Mercedes- Benz. The CEO sample includes those with CEO, chairman, executive director, president or COO titles.

The truth is more CEOs surveyed drive ordinary passenger cars and SUVs than luxury cars; in fact, those who drive Chevrolets outnumber those in Mercedes. And while most respondents think CEOs spend more than $70,000 on their cars, the average price CEOs in this study paid for their primary vehicle is less than $25,000. One in- four (26 percent) of CEOs surveyed reported they spent less than $20,000 on their primary vehicle.

The following is a breakdown of the types of vehicles CEOs in the survey report they own:

● 29 percent — passenger cars
● 24 percent — SUVs
● 19 percent — luxury cars
● 13 percent — pickup trucks
● 9 percent — minivans
● 6 percent — sports cars

“When it comes to the perception of what CEOs drive, the respondents surveyed who believe a black Mercedes-Benz is the car of choice for CEOs aren’t the only ones,” said Patrick Olsen, managing editor of Cars.com.

“A similar majority of CEOs who responded to the survey thought their peers were mostly driving expensive luxury cars as well.”

Looking at specific industries, the survey found that respondents working in banking and finance are more likely than workers in any other career segment to drive luxury and sports cars, followed by engineers.

If you want to read the rest, go to http://www.print2webcorp.com/news/washingtontimes/AutoWeekend/20060818/p02.asp and click on the body of the article.

Huh? I would think most CEOs get a free leased car from the company.

dmpi said:
Huh? I would think most CEOs get a free leased car from the company.

And probably wouldn't show up as their car, being registered to the company. Another interesting survey would be what type of car their wife had, or the type of car they bought the day after they receive the "severance" from the company. I got a CEO living down the street who has a SUV . . . I've never seen him drive it, he has a chauffeur with a Lincoln Town Car pick up and deliver him.

If i had a really high powered salary (say 500K+ not in NYC), I certainly would drive a nice car. 

I definitely do not envy hoarders.   I actually pity them.    Like so many things in life, i think money management should be done with a sense of balance.    If one's clearing more than 500k/year, and doesnt live in New York, then geez, at least get a 3 series BMW, but take care of it and keep it several years. 

So what's the take-home?  Your typical CEO is a money hoarder?

I'm thinking of YMOYL. Probably the most sensible people are the AAW's, and the ones out of wack are the UAW's and the PAW's.

Oh how my life would be so much better if only I had a BMW 3-series...

The birds would sing, the neighbors would be green with envy, and I would live the good life...

If only I had that 3-series, then life would be good...

- Not

Azanon said:
So what's the take-home? Your typical CEO is a money hoarder?

No it's all about politics. - Most want to seem like a regular joe, while they're skimming profits off the company. Both to the shareholders and employees.

The extravagant spending starts when they 'retire'. ::)

Oh how my life would be so much better if only I had a BMW 3-series...

- Not

What idiot would be CEO of a large company and take on all of the associates stresses of it, but have no desire for nice things?  You?

The extravagant spending starts when they 'retire'.

As long as there's a sensible man in there somewhere.  Because money exhibits no value until its given away.

Before anyone considers pressing the issue, please realize if we actually have any CEO's that only enjoy making money but have no intention of using it, then i'm going to list my account number so i can relieve you of your burden of this "money" that "doesn't improve your life".

Az:

CEO's take on that position because they seek power. Not because they want to drive the small model in an overpriced car line.

If they're so after power, then why are they just satisfied with the power they get to exhibit in the workplace.    I'd take that expression of power even beyond the office; meaning use my money for power too.

Anyone that lives in my neighborhood, AFAIK, is an above-average middle class average joe.  I dont care what he makes.   If i cant see it, then you dont have it.

"But... but..... i have 4 million in the bank". I think. "whatever you say, chief"... whether he does or not. Because what difference does money make if you just see it in ink on a piece of paper once a month.

Azanon said:
Anyone that lives in my neighborhood, AFAIK, is an above-average middle class average joe.  I dont care what he makes.   If i cant see it, then you dont have it.

"But... but..... i have 4 million in the bank".    I think.    "whatever you say, chief"... whether he does or not.    Because what difference does money make if you just see it in ink on a piece of paper once a month.

Just curious: why do you give a flying fcuk how much money your neighbors have? You compare penis sizes, too?

On my second CEO position in 1997, I bought a '95 BMW 318ic convertible. Retired in 2002. Still driving it.

Would I like something newer. Yes. Can I justify it based on miles driven now. NO!

If I change anything, it might be to trade down to a collector car (>15 years old) for the appreciation potential and cheaper insurance.

Keep working Azanon cause you just don't get it...

This statement implies I dont like my job.   You should know that you are mistaken.   I like power too, .... like these CEO's..... i just also use the power of my money too.

There is no question that i'm a powerful person.    You sitting at home getting your bank statements in.... you're a non-factor.   Out of the game.   I'm glad you made way for powerful people like me.

Azanon said:
what difference does money make if you just see it in ink on a piece of paper once a month.

Simple answer - your life (and more importantly, your time) is "your own".  You choose to do, what you want to do, when you want to do it.

Financial Independence = Freedom...

- Ron

Just curious: why do you give a flying fcuk how much money your neighbors have? You compare penis sizes, too?

You're confusing caring with recognition. Just because i may recognize you're not important, doesnt mean i care one way or the other.

Simple answer - your life (and more importantly, your time) is "your own".  You choose to do, what you want to do, when you want to do it.

Financial Independence = Freedom...

- Ron

Hey, i'm all for that Ron, which is why i hang out here.  But i'll keep saying, Balance, Balance, Balance.   Living your 20's and 30s in a shack saving 60% of gross, is NOT a solution to happiness.  That's just downright ridiculous IMO.    Far more logical, to live your youthful years enjoying SOME of the finer things in life, while at the same time saving a more than modest amount (lets say 15-25% of gross), and letting the power of compounding work for you.   

I just think the best answer for most people is probably somewhere in the middle.   Its what i would recommend to my son.

I save about 20% gross strictly for retirement (all tax advantaged, (TSP, IRAs)), to speak nothing of other savings. If you ask me, that is a HECK of a lot, and at times i sometimes think that's overkill.

Azanon said:
There is no question that i'm a powerful person. You sitting at home getting your bank statements in.... you're a non-factor. Out of the game. I'm glad you made way for powerful people like me.

Ooookkkkkkkkkk.

You too could be powerful, get the girls, and have the respect and admiration of the world.

And all it takes is to make payments on that 3-series BMW...

Ooookkaaayyyyy.

This is a messageboard, so i'm intentionally far more outspoken and less modest.   If the alternative is to think "i'm insignificant, not important, etc", i chose to think positively of myself.  I dont see how i can expect to get anywhere in life not believing in myself.

MasterBlaster said:
Az:

CEO's take on that position because they seek power. Not because they want to drive the small model in an overpriced car line.

Hey, I love my 3 series! Don't knock it! It may be the small one, but I don't like the bigger ones.

I guess that makes me a bad person here??

I agree with Azanon though, if you can swing it, why not? Some people really like cars (Like me). If you're taking the high stress job of a CEO, what is the point if you aren't going to spend some bucks?

Azanon said:
You're confusing caring with recognition.  Just because i may recognize you're not important, doesnt mean i care one way or the other.

That crack must be interfering with your other meds, my friend.

Sorry, but if you even bother spending the time recognizing/caring/comparing peckers, then you must actually care enough to do so.

Scrooge said:
Here is an interesting article about LBYM CEO style:

What kind of car does the boss drive?

PR NEWSWIRE

CHICAGO — Do you know what kind of car your boss drives and how much it cost? Is your car type or color on par with others in your profession? According to a survey commissioned by CareerBuilder.com and Cars.com, perceptions are very different from reality.

These aren't necessarily Fortune 500 CEOs. I wouldn't expect a CEO at a 20 person company to be driving a $75,000 Porsche.

I have a company. I'm a CEO too. :D (And the Secretary, and COO, and CFO....)

You too could be powerful, get the girls, and have the respect and admiration of the world.

That second one is another whole topic; maybe we should start a new thread.   I'll just say here, it doesn't take a BMW.   The BMW is for you to enjoy yourself.    If you're interested in seduction, read some David DeAngelo stuff.   Of course working out and good looks helps too.

BTW, i just own a 07' Honda Fit.   But i should also point out, i'm no CEO. GREAT car too,btw guys.... highly recommend it.

saluki9 said:
I agree with Azanon though, if you can swing it, why not?  Some people really like cars (Like me).   If you're taking the high stress job of a CEO, what is the point if you aren't going to spend some bucks?

Having met and dealt with a number of financial services industry CEOs, I can say that with one or two exceptions, most of them are not primarily motivated by money.  Most of them have a vision, or enjoy being the big dog, or enjoy being a leader, or just have a mammoth ego to feed.  The few that were clearly motivated by money mostly did short-term oriented stuff, like under-invest in their business and then drive their companies into the maw of the handiest acquirer.

Should you enjoy it if you have it?  Why not.  I think the beef a lot of us have is that CEOs, etc. are expected to flaunt their money and that they are somehow not measuring up if they don't.

Back
Top Bottom