Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Whatever you do, make sure the carpet matches the drapes.
No carpet in the new house. Apparently that went out of style a few years ago.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 01:49 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
All overpriced. Just sew together a bunch of used dryer sheets.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
No carpet in the new house. Apparently that went out of style a few years ago.
IMO the "fancy" drape era has gone the way of carpet...they are dust catchers, hard and expensive to clean and unless very classic or neutral quickly go out of style.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Whatever you do, make sure the carpet matches the drapes.
For some reason, I think he was making a joke. Not really referring to floor carpet.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Five grand is a lot of dough for drapes.

I'm getting my sliding glass door replaced soon. It's a big one too, 95 inches by 80 inches. Going to be a special custom with a dog door built right into the glass and another one in the screen. Since you can't work tempered glass one panel will be new custom made with the notch cut for the doggy door, then tempered after the cut. Glass shop will assemble and then install after removing existing door. Double pane efficient glass too.

Cost for the whole works is $3500
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
IKEA sells drapery panels that are really inexpensive. They also carry long panels to fit tall windows/sliding door openings.

omni
+1 We learned of these from some flippers - CHEAP! window enhancement. We sleep with open doors down south and use them to keep skeeters and cats without a sense of determination out of the bedroom. We use little springloaded rubber-tipped rods inside the doorframe. Works well enough and we toss and replace if a cat experiments with claws.

an example:

TERESIA Sheer curtains, 1 pair - IKEA
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
The "wood blinds" are plantation shutters and when I had them installed in several windows they ran $30/square foot through Costco. The good news is that I love them.
Plantation shutters have a frame around the blinds and typically hinge to the side.

Blinds (wood or other material) can be raised/lowered like your typical mini blind. The wood blinds, specifically tend to be 2.5" or 3" slats (vs the narrow slats of mini blinds). Depending on the width of the window there can be multiple sets of blind cords. Higher end ones use cloth to cover up the blind cords.

For the windows in our house that have drapes we've bought panels and then hemed/seamed as needed.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Here are my new drapes

Closed and open;

3 grommeted panels and the new rod with the fancy finials was $200 at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

How's that for cheap? Don't want expensive stuff there, that door gets a lot of use by us and the dogs.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Here are my new drapes

Closed and open;

3 grommeted panels and the new rod with the fancy finials was $200 at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

How's that for cheap? Don't want expensive stuff there, that door gets a lot of use by us and the dogs.
Definitely cheap! How "see through" are they? It's hard to tell from the photo, but I can tell that at least some light goes through them and I wonder if any passerby would see too much.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

No "passers by" here, my backyard. Storm drain collection in back of fence as big as a football field, dug down 20 feet, fenced and maintained by the city.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No "passers by" here, my backyard. Storm drain collection in back of fence as big as a football field, dug down 20 feet, fenced and maintained by the city.
Now that's what I call privacy! I love it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #52

Quote:
Here are my new drapes

Closed and open;

We're still struggling with what to do, but we have visited Bed Bath and Beyond. One option is to spend a little more on some nice sheers and then use the panels like you did for an accent.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #53

For animals I prefer the Home Depot vertical blinds on patio doors. About $60 last time I installed a set on an 8 foot door, probably more now. Replacement panes available, but why not just get a new set every few years?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
We're still struggling with what to do, but we have visited Bed Bath and Beyond. One option is to spend a little more on some nice sheers and then use the panels like you did for an accent.
Have you tried Regal Drapes ? It is an online store and they will send you samples .They are not cheap but they have great reviews .I may use them next year .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Start hitting estate sales in high price neighborhoods. You might find just the thing for a fraction of the price.
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:35 AM   #56

Well, if you buy drapes and they don't work out...

Sorry, but that one still cracks me up!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #57

Our house has 29 windows, including 7 sliding glass doors and 6 large picture windows that are the same size as the sliding glass doors. It's a lot of glass, but the house sits on 2.2 wooded acres with a beautiful view of a small lake in the back. So we don't really want curtains or any type of window covering. It's not really needed for privacy because the lot (and all surrounding lots) are large and heavily wooded. We can't see our neighbors and they can't see us.

When we first moved in, the house had a combination of cheap white metal blinds on the smaller windows and white vinyl vertical blinds on the large picture windows and sliding glass doors. We took it all down. The only thing that went back up was some nice wooden blinds on the 4 large windows in the front of the house. I got those online for about $500 total. We also put up some simple grommet panels in the guest bedrooms upstairs. I think they were around $200 per window at Bed Bath & Beyond.