Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I could get hurt jumping into dumpsters and lifting out heavy speakers and furniture.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
All of this lead to a general lack of contentment coupled with a tendency toward quick fixes and trends and mind control by the media.
Not that you claimed so, but I don’t blame the admittedly pervasive “tendency” on the media.

And the main reason I posted the OP and link was because ER.org popped up. I wasn’t surprised by anything else in the video.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
A winter coat taken from a dumpster?! Hmmmm....not sure I could be THAT frugal. :-
-BB
depends. Was the coat right on top folded & freshly washed and in my size? You betcha I'm gonna grab it. Mid container and lots of food waste? NFW

*full disclosure. I have picked up hats and fleece jackets off the street. Washed them and still wear them
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
depends. Was the coat right on top folded & freshly washed and in my size? You betcha I'm gonna grab it. Mid container and lots of food waste? NFW

*full disclosure. I have picked up hats and fleece jackets off the street. Washed them and still wear them

Was it hovering there... like an angel...

Old 04-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I could get hurt jumping into dumpsters and lifting out heavy speakers and furniture.
At the estate sale for my parents house, I put the good recycle stuff out on the lawn. Went through the whole pile three times plus some contributions from neighbours. It encouraged people to come inside and look for low priced treasures.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I didn't watch this video as I have seen others by the same couple and didn't get too much out of them. It was my understanding she runs the blog and other media forms for income and he works remotely, so I am not really sure where the retired part comes in. It seems like with rent and two earned income streams they should have a pretty decent income, more than enough to go out to eat now and then if they wanted to.
I watched a bit of it. They have a decent house, and seem to live a comfortable life. Of course we do not know how much they have saved, and if their stash is good enough to weather bad economic spells.

The additional income from the blog surely helps. I recall a youtube couple, who started out to build an off-grid home in Idaho. Their youtube channel stirred up a lot of interest, and they have many subscribers. As I can recall, they do not divulge how much money they get from youtube, but they were able to upscale their modest dwelling, which was a travel trailer and a utility shack, to a timber-frame home with a large basement. They also could afford a front loader, a lumber mill to cut their own timber, a new pickup truck, and various tools. They have given up on the solar power and will hook up to the grid.

I don't blame them though. Hey, when you've got money, there's no need to scrounge. When one's means expand, one can upgrade the lifestyle and still be LBYM. Nothing wrong with that, and in fact it is the right thing to do.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

For me the fun part of a LBYMs lifestyle is living high on the hog while not spending a lot. Not spending a lot and never going out doesn't seem to take a lot of thinking or analytical skills. That is what poor people have to do by default.

It is the analytical part that I find fun - traveling on reward points, getting cheap or free seat filler tickets, examining the odds and finding contests I can win regularly, great thrift shop finds and in general finding bargains and freebies that require a little searching or analysis.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For me the fun part of a LBYMs lifestyle is living high on the hog while not spending a lot. Not spending a lot and never going out doesn't seem to take a lot of thinking or analytical skills. That is what poor people have to do by default.

It is the analytical part that I find fun - traveling on reward points, getting cheap or free seat filler tickets, examining the odds and finding contests I can win regularly, great thrift shop finds and in general finding bargains and freebies that require a little searching or analysis.
I actually thought of you after I watched their video and read a few posts here - I think they enjoy saving in the way you enjoy saving. It's like a game they play, to see how much they can save.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I feel like I know what they are doing. They aren't the kind of people who get a kick out of expensive clothing and expensive lifestyles. They like nature, woods, etc, and they realized they could live the lifestyle they wanted without much sacrifice, and they did just that. Retirement was never their goal, and they don't mind working, and they do but not the way they used to work. I am happy for them. They seemed to have found something that worked better for them and they are happier because of it.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If I want to be depressed there are aesthetically preferable ways, like going to an Swedish movie festival.

Thanks. I almost spewed coffee on my keyboard.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

BTW, I enjoy going to thrift shops. Many of our lamps we have at home came from these shops (we restored one and swapped shades, etc). A couple of chairs, a desk, photo frames (for DH's artwork and photography), some clothes too. My last find was a $20 19-inch computer monitor.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I feel like I know what they are doing. They aren't the kind of people who get a kick out of expensive clothing and expensive lifestyles. They like nature, woods, etc, and they realized they could live the lifestyle they wanted without much sacrifice, and they did just that. Retirement was never a goal, and they don't mind working, and they do but not the way they used to work. I am happy for them. They seemed to have found something that worked better for them and they are happier because of it.
That’s how I took them too. They had way more earnings than most, and realized ‘the meaning of enough’ long before most Americans (some never do). Looks like a healthy mindset to me, but to each his/her own.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #33

Quote:
For me the fun part of a LBYMs lifestyle is living high on the hog while not spending a lot.

Exactly. For example, why should I pay full price for clothing when I can find perfectly good stuff at thrift stores for a fraction of the price? I found a pair of Levi's jeans (in good shape) in my size at the thrift store the other day for $4. Also found a nice Dockers shirt in my size for $3. I find clothing deals like this all the time. The money I save on deals like this is used for things like our annual winter snowbird trip, or some other priority item. I don't feel like I am making any real sacrifice at all by living the way I do - and it's kind of a challenge.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #34

"If I knew then what I know now"... I would have saved/invested, and worked harder to become FI by 40, rather than 52, and I would have switched careers, doing what I truly want to do (underwater photographer/filmmaker), rather than slugging it out for 28 years as a geologist, a job which is okay, but does not stoke the fires of my heart.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
LBYM Extreme - with a plug for ER.org!
Old 04-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #35

LBYM Extreme - with a plug for ER.org!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
"If I knew then what I know now"... I would have saved/invested, and worked harder to become FI by 40, rather than 52, and I would have switched careers, doing what I truly want to do (underwater photographer/filmmaker), rather than slugging it out for 28 years as a geologist, a job which is okay, but does not stoke the fires of my heart.

Was it Barbara Bush said Ill never fret over what was or could have been..
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

How about Uncle Leo finding the watch and the wallet in the trash can on Seinfeld?
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I was at CampFI Midatlantic this weekend as a speaker (with 70 other mostly young FIRE-seekers under age 50). During the icebreaker I mentioned I found FIRE through e-r.org way back in 2005 and asked for a show of hands for those that had heard of the forums. Only 3-4 raised their hands. Lots of new people learning about this stuff but it's mostly Mr. Money Mustache and their forums, blogs, podcasts, and facebook groups.

Or maybe it's just the younger people accessing FIRE material through those other media.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
A winter coat taken from a dumpster?!
Damn, so that's what happened to my winter coat while I was in the bathroom!
Old 04-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I actually thought of you after I watched their video and read a few posts here - I think they enjoy saving in the way you enjoy saving. It's like a game they play, to see how much they can save.
I like the game part but not the never going out to eat or tree clearing kind of work. I grew up in a small house in a low cost, frozen half the year, rural farming area and we didn't go out to eat much so I already know pretty well how to live like that. We had catchy name for our lifestyle, too, but it wasn't called minimalism back then. We called it "growing up poor".
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

We did not grow up poor, but both my wife's and my parents did not have the habit of going out to eat. And so, we enjoy cooking as much as eating, and do not eat out that much unless there's some special restaurant that we like to try. At this point, we have enough money that eating out would not make much of a dent, but we do not care to.

About recreation, we both find plenty of things to amuse ourselves with, without spending money. Well, I spent quite a bit on my electronic stuff, but it is still not that expensive compared to new cars every few years.

Other than travel, we find little things to spend money on. As homebodies, we are satisfied lounging around in our two homes, and go on long treks with the RV or internationally once in a while. Even that does not cost that much.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote