Join Early Retirement Today

Learning another language?
Old 03-08-2022, 05:52 AM   #1

Learning another language?

What platform are you using for learning and/or practice?
How do you think you're doing?

From another thread, it appears that a number of us are learning another language in retirement. I'm near an 800 day streak in Duolingo, and JoeWras has an impressive 1,000 days. Amethyst was at 700 before something happened to snap her streak.

I like the Duolingo platform for a couple reasons (apart from the daily nagging to use it). There are only a small number of new words in each lesson and they give you plenty of practice. I don't think the grammar instruction is as good as I'd like, but overall it's a great system.

I also like Rocket Languages, as it seems to have more of a "real world" approach to the language.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2022, 06:09 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

The DW and I took a 3 month German language class. As part of the class, we received a program called DeutschPlus. It has a training book and 4 audio CDs. Sometimes I’ll listen to a CD while in the car, but I think when trying to learn any new language, you really have to use it to retain it.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Duolingo is a good start, or a good review. I took German in high school and it has been a good review. I benefited from the grammar I forgot, but suddenly all came back when using Duolingo. Duo has some tips and discussions people don't always read that actually try to give you some grammar. It is very basic.

I think to really learn I'd want to be in a class or informal group where conversation occurs.

Use multiple resources, and try to find a way to immerse for a while.

BTW: I finished the German tree and Duolingo recently updated it. The new exercises are pretty good, and some are quite complex. After I struggle through these, I'm noticing that the easy sentences are becoming natural and I'm starting to "think" in the language instead of trying to translate. So, it is helping. I still struggle trying to listen to German live, at normal pace. I only get bits and pieces. I like some German rock, but due to all the idioms and slurring of words, it is somewhat impossible to understand.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:59 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a solid D in German class way back in HS in the 70's..not much tech then other than cassette tapes and worksheets and flashcards..came out barely knowing how to order a pint of beer " Einen halben Liter helles Bier, bitte." but that phrase came in handy when I was stationed in Germany at Panzer Kaserne . so my HS German class was not a total waste. Later in 2007 before being deployed to Iraq our unit had to spend a week in language lab at Ft Bragg learning arabic and the instructors used Roseatta Stone which was interesting and after a week we were tested on knowledge of vocabulary and about 120 common phrases and you had to get a 75% to pass .no one failed. Rosseatta stone was a combination of listening and pictures and scenarios and was a good way to learn without being tedious and boring.
ERObjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:20 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Took German in HS and learned Spanish on my own using a couple of different programs. Spanish comes in handy in Texas. I may learn some Russian soon.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

680 day in a row on Duolingo in Spanish.

Wife and I were taking private lessons twice a week here in Costa Rica. But last fall as things started opening back up and we wanted to take some local excursions, instructor decided we had to pay a month at a time and if we were gone (even with several months notice) to bad, we lost our money.

I read it pretty well, wife speaks it better than I do. I wear hearing aids and the masks the last two years have made it difficult when you can't see a persons mouth or expressions.

Something else that helped me was I went back and really brushed up on English grammar and structure to better understand how our native works and be able to better identify the differences.

But gonna keep on keeping on. It's a challenge for sure.
rt-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

After over 50 years in US still working on American English. Get many comments on my accent. Can't rush this process.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #8

Day 348 of duolingo Italian.

I took 3 semesters of Italian at the local community college when I first retired. That was very useful for learning the grammar and conjugation rules.

I'm much better at reading and writing, than I am with speaking/hearing.

But I'm motivated. My husband and sons are dual citizens. I did all the research/document gathering for that. Since they became citizens they changed the rules for spousal citizenship... Now you have to speak fluently. (Pass a level B1 test.) I could probably pass the written portion - but not the oral portion... no matter how many times I say "parli lentamente per favore".

I am using the slow news in Italian app to get some listening practice. The have other "Slow News" apps for Spanish, German, French...

My older son is taking first semester Italian in college this semester. They are using Rosetta Stone.

Here's the link to the Slow News apps... I have the Italian version loaded on my android phone.
https://www.newsinslow.com/
Old 03-08-2022, 11:56 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been taking Farsi through Rosetta Stone. I already understand a fair amount of Farsi but was unable to master reading despite trying different grammar books over the years. Being able to hear the language and then seeing it written is working and I am able to read it now.

I am already fluent in Spanish and know some Portuguese and French. Once I get more comfortable with the Farsi, I think I will add in another language. Perhaps, German or Italian?
Old 03-08-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm at 197 days of German in Duolingo. I appreciate the daily 'mild nagging' reminder Duo sends out. I really need to watch German movies or TV also, to become accustomed to the native speaking pace. I get somewhat-immersed when I go to visit my cousin (the one I found through DNA testing in 2014) in Germany for a month each summer.

I had years of Spanish and French in school. When I am placed in a full-immersion location, after a short while I am pleasantly surprised how quickly the 50 years of accumulated rust starts to flake off.

And the Russian I was exposed to as a child has allowed me to understand the untranslated videos of captured Russian soldiers in Ukraine as well as Zelenskyy's speeches when he gives them in Russian.

Haven't found much use for the Finnish we spoke at home, as all the Finns I meet speak perfect English.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Day 348 of duolingo Italian.

I took 3 semesters of Italian at the local community college when I first retired. That was very useful for learning the grammar and conjugation rules.

I'm much better at reading and writing, than I am with speaking/hearing.

But I'm motivated. My husband and sons are dual citizens. I did all the research/document gathering for that. Since they became citizens they changed the rules for spousal citizenship... Now you have to speak fluently. (Pass a level B1 test.) I could probably pass the written portion - but not the oral portion... no matter how many times I say "parli lentamente per favore".

I am using the slow news in Italian app to get some listening practice. The have other "Slow News" apps for Spanish, German, French...

My older son is taking first semester Italian in college this semester. They are using Rosetta Stone.

Here's the link to the Slow News apps... I have the Italian version loaded on my android phone.
Rodi, thank you for the Slow News app recommendation. It looks great! Another thing you can try is watching a movie with closed caption in whatever language you are learning. Listening to music in another language also helps since the way we sing is more closely connected to how we actually speak.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:35 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are numerous free websites for finding language exchange partners. I signed up on two of these sites and I've been doing a weekly 2-hour Spanish-English language exchange for 7 years with a man in Costa Rica. We generally use Zoom now and do the 1st hour in Spanish and the 2nd hour in English. He & I really hit if off and I hope we can soon meet in person. I was in CR a couple of times many years ago so I'm familiar with where he lives and places he talks about. I had also spoken with other Spanish-speakers from Mexico, Honduras, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, & Bolivia. I traveled in Mexico and Colombia several times after I started my weekly chats with my CR partner, and I became much more at ease speaking Spanish as a result of our weekly chats.

When Covid hit, I started doing French-English language exchanges just to get some practice speaking my already fluent French. Since last summer, I've been Skyping weekly for an hour (half in English, half in French) with a very nice FIRE'd guy in Paris. Previously, I had spoken with several other French speakers in Europe and Quebec.

If you're a native speaker of English, you're in great demand on these sites. My Costa Rican partner told me that when he sent requests to native English speakers, fewer than 10% even replied to him.

Here are links to two of the better language exchange sites:

https://www.conversationexchange.com/
https://www.language-exchanges.org/
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:38 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
There are numerous free websites for finding language exchange partners. I signed up on two of these sites and I've been doing a weekly 2-hour Spanish-English language exchange for 7 years with a man in Costa Rica. We generally use Zoom now and do the 1st hour in Spanish and the 2nd hour in English. He & I really hit if off and I hope we can soon meet in person. I was in CR a couple of times many years ago so I'm familiar with where he lives and places he talks about. I had also spoken with other Spanish-speakers from Mexico, Honduras, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, & Bolivia. I traveled in Mexico and Colombia several times after I started my weekly chats with my CR partner, and I became much more at ease speaking Spanish as a result of our weekly chats.

When Covid hit, I started doing French-English language exchanges just to get some practice speaking my already fluent French. Since last summer, I've been Skyping weekly for an hour (half in English, half in French) with a very nice FIRE'd guy in Paris. Previously, I had spoken with several other French speakers in Europe and Quebec.

If you're a native speaker of English, you're in great demand on these sites. My Costa Rican partner told me that when he sent requests to native English speakers, fewer than 10% even replied to him.

Here are links to two of the better language exchange sites:

https://www.conversationexchange.com/
https://www.language-exchanges.org/
Thanks for the links! Not sure how my introverted soul feels about it (especially two hours!) but it's something to look into.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:39 PM   #14

I became fluent in German many years ago. Here are my tips:

- learn correct pronunciation, in the beginning. Best to have personal coaching and feedback. It's hard to unlearn poor pronunciation. And pronunciation is a real challenge for many languages, since there can often be NO parallel sounds in english. For German, you need someone to teach you how to move your mouth and tongue to make the sounds.

- learn the basic grammar and sentence structure rules, in the beginning. Refresh regularly.

- Easy German is my preferred tool- you see both the english and german, and hear the words. Youtube has movies with CC (subtitles) that you can set to english or autotranslate. I even found I could understand some old Hitler speeches, but he seemed to always be yelling, which is harder to understand. Plus he had that austrian accent, which is a bit different from high german.

- Duolingo is fun and helps with motivation, but I combine with other tools.

- I'm missing practicing the "speaking" portion. I haven't found the best way to find someone who will talk in german with me.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2BRetd View Post
Listening to music in another language also helps since the way we sing is more closely connected to how we actually speak.
That may well be true. When I lived in Brazil I loved to listen to a few popular singers who enunciated clearly. It seemed to help me quite a lot, and enjoying the music was a bonus. Even today, when I hear certain phrases in Portuguese I immediately connect them with how they were used in a song.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Thank you for sharing that. If only they had a Latin feed...

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:23 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post

- learn correct pronunciation, in the beginning. Best to have personal coaching and feedback. It's hard to unlearn poor pronunciation. And pronunciation is a real challenge for many languages, since there can often be NO parallel sounds in english. For German, you need someone to teach you how to move your mouth and tongue to make the sounds.

- learn the basic grammar and sentence structure rules, in the beginning. Refresh regularly.

- Easy German is my preferred tool- you see both the english and german, and hear the words. Youtube has movies with CC (subtitles) that you can set to english or autotranslate. I even found I could understand some old Hitler speeches, but he seemed to always be yelling, which is harder to understand. Plus he had that austrian accent, which is a bit different from high german.

- Duolingo is fun and helps with motivation, but I combine with other tools.

- I'm missing practicing the "speaking" portion. I haven't found the best way to find someone who will talk in german with me.
Yes, learning proper pronunciation at the beginning is very important. Now that I am reading in Farsi I am finding words that I was mispronouncing and it's taking a lot of work to remember the correct way. I asked my husband why he didn't correct me and he told me he thought it was cute! Grrr
Old 03-09-2022, 07:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post

A bit off tangent, but I read that native Russian speakers cannot pronounce a certain Ukrainian word and this is a dead giveaway when they are questioned as possible spies.

-BB
Old 03-09-2022, 07:25 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I'm at 197 days of German in Duolingo. I appreciate the daily 'mild nagging' reminder Duo sends out. I really need to watch German movies or TV also, to become accustomed to the native speaking pace. I get somewhat-immersed when I go to visit my cousin (the one I found through DNA testing in 2014) in Germany for a month each summer.
We need to find some older shows to watch, back when TV and movie direction included non-shaky close ups of people speaking clearly. Or perhaps the news on Deutsche Welle

Today, the shaky camera, along with the loud music and whisper-talk has killed the idea of using media to learn.

For example: I loved the series Dark. But trying to watch it in German? Forget it. Too many idioms, too much whisper talk, too much blurry camera.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:59 AM   #20

I'm learning Spanish, mainly on DuoLingo. As of today, my streak is 745 days and I have 112,061 XP. I also watch lots of YouTube videos in Spanish. If they're talking too fast, YouTube lets you slow it down a bit. I also listen to most of the DuoLingo Spanish podcasts. Sometimes, I print out the podcast transcript, look up any words I don't know, and then practice mirroring at normal speed.

I feel like I'm doing pretty well. I can read and write Spanish better than I can speak it on the fly. I think my pronunciation is pretty good, but again, I'm just not very fast at *quickly* constructing a sentence on the fly. Listening at full speed is challenging as well. I definitely need more practice with native speakers, but that's been difficult during the Pandemic.