Learning how to cook?

Birchwood

Recycles dryer sheets
Since you have more time, did any of you try to learn to cook, bake or make something nutritionally?

Brew anything?

Nope, I'm affraid I might like my cooking and gain more weight. DW's been doing great for 40 years so I'm going with her till the end.

Since you have more time, did any of you try to learn to cook, bake or make something nutritionally?

I've been cooking since I was in grade school, however since I retired I have oodles of time to try new recipes and learn new cooking techniques, especially in the winter when I'm indoors a lot more. I love experimenting with old "tried 'n' true" recipes, but using different ingredients or different seasonings. Or I'll see something that pics my interest on some cooking show, and I'll come up with my own version of it.

Plus, all in all, I always try to use fresh veggies and fruits, and fresh meats, poultry, and fish. Canned and processed cr*p usually has way too much sodium and other chemicals for my liking. But there is always room for the use of some bacon grease and lard in my kitchen!!! And though I prefer to use organic and non-GMO food items, I'm not a stickler about it. Overall, I'd say we eat a fairly healthy diet around here. :)

I'm learning how to cook now. It's fun. Last week pulled pork. I'm thinking of smoking some ribs today. I started brewing beer about 18 months ago. It's fun to experiment making my own recipes.

Ms G and I went to Costa Rica in December for a vegan cooking classes with a spa experience. A week on the slope of Poas Volcano in the cloud forest. We did the tourist things, zip line, coffee tour, volcano hikes, during the day, and classes making our evening meal at night. Massages, Reflexology, and aroma therapy, saunas, and a great pool, were part of the day stay. Than off to the Pacific side to Manuel Antonio, for hiking, birding and kayaking for another week.

For a while there DW and I both "got into" cooking more than we ever had in the past. Unfortunately we liked our cooking too much and in six months we both gained 20 lbs.

So we went back to our old ways.

I started cooking when I moved off campus in college (the hamburger helper days), and for several years after college before getting married. I've continued to improve over the years, and now retired I think I am cooking tastier, healthier and more cost effectively. I've learned by reading cookbooks, a few cooking classes, a few cooking shows and just trying new recipes and ingredients (some good, some not).

I recently brewed some ginger ale and root beer, probably not what the OP had in mind...

Last edited:
6a00e5503379c688340120a954f6b1970b-800wi
My speciality.....

Started cooking seriously when I RE'd. DW and I are foodies but now when we go out to dinner she almost always says "you could do this better". We end up saving a LOT (and I mean a lot) of $$ now.

I'm of the minimalist view: a few pots, two super quality skillets, a couple of good chef knives...not into gagetry.

The only thing I don't try is sushi because there is a great place down the street and 'why bother?'.

Although I've cooked a lot since childhood (thanks, Mom!), I recently took a knife skills class. My food now looks as good as it tastes and as a bonus, it takes less time to prep now that I'm doing it right (I use lots of fresh veggies in my cooking). I just signed up for the advanced class which includes deboning a chicken and filleting a fish.

Started cooking seriously when I RE'd. DW and I are foodies but now when we go out to dinner she almost always says "you could do this better". We end up saving a LOT (and I mean a lot) of $$ now.

I'm of the minimalist view: a few pots, two super quality skillets, a couple of good chef knives...not into gagetry.
I won't say we're "serious" cooks, but we like to cook what we like to eat, and we almost never "dine out", for both reasons you cited.

Oh...and we recently bought a couple steamers, (one bamboo and the other electric); love 'em and are using them more and more.

+1 for the "minimalist" approach.

Ms G and I went to Costa Rica in December for a vegan cooking classes with a spa experience. A week on the slope of Poas Volcano in the cloud forest. We did the tourist things, zip line, coffee tour, volcano hikes, during the day, and classes making our evening meal at night. Massages, Reflexology, and aroma therapy, saunas, and a great pool, were part of the day stay. Than off to the Pacific side to Manuel Antonio, for hiking, birding and kayaking for another week.

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful vacation. I love all of the different experiences also. Sounds perfect!

Been cooking since I was ~12. Now and then try something new. Have to be careful not too eat too much.

I have been trying new recipes a lot more since I retired . I also have taken a few cooking classes . They were fun & I always learned something .Last year I perfected my pizza making but since we went lower carb I have not been using that skill.SO seems happy with my cooking so that is all that matters .

I would prefer to never cook another meal, except grilling with friends. But both my budget, my tastes in food, and my health push me to cook every day.

I marvel at people who cook for fun. To me it is just the pain I have to go through to get to the meal.

Last edited:
Who knows, maybe once I am retired I will graduate from being the world's worst cook to at least being adequate. Once can hope.

I think people over estimate how difficult it is to be a decent cook.

I'm self-taught, have learnt so much watching shows on Food Network or just finding recipes on All Recipes.

It is quite easy to cook tasty food without having a dozen different ingredients, and there really does not have to be a need to use complicated techniques.

I think people over estimate how difficult it is to be a decent cook.

I'm self-taught, have learnt so much watching shows on Food Network or just finding recipes on All Recipes.

It is quite easy to cook tasty food without having a dozen different ingredients, and there really does not have to be a need to use complicated techniques.

I've taught several friends/lovers how to cook; you do have to start out with basics and very simple techniques. Then you can slowly add ideas.

I get overwhelmed when I try to look online or at cookbooks. And when I first started I had a tendency to try to duplicate a particular restaurant dish rather than just feed myself.

The epiphany was my BiL (who apprenticed under a French chef) serving me wonderful food, my asking what it was because it was so fabulous, and it was "chicken with salt and pepper" or "noodles with butter, salt and pepper", and I swore he must've had some secret ingredient for mashed potatoes, but only if white pepper is secret.

So since then I try to learn how to cook simple things well rather than try for a fancy dish. Technique is usually more important than particular ingredients, meaning I no longer fret about which of 10 different recipes is the "right" one for what new dish I'm trying for.

When I ER'd we were able to have plenty of time for nutritious home-cooked meals that set a great parenting example for our daughter.

Since she's left for college, though, she's probably eating healthier than we are... we empty-nesters have been partying it up with frozen dinners and pizza, along with occasional party leftovers and BBQ, for nearly 18 months. Did you know that Costco will sell anyone a 72-ounce bag of chocolate chips without a license?!?

Tonight's dinner was especially yummy because we rarely eat it: spicy fish cakes, char siu bao, roast-beef sandwiches, curry-beef maunapua, and fresh fruit. It was left over from Thursday's catered social affair. Believe it or not, we actually passed on pizza this week. I think that means we get to have two pizzas next week...

I would prefer to never cook another meal, except grilling with friends. But both my budget, my tastes in food, and my health push me to cook every day.

I marvel at people who cook for fun. To me it is just the pain I have to go through to get to the meal.

I somewhat understand where you are coming from. I actually love the idea of cooking, but then 1/4 of the way through I get overwhelmed with the effort, and something isn't going right, or I forgot this ingredient, and then there is all the clean up...

I get overwhelmed when I try to look online or at cookbooks. And when I first started I had a tendency to try to duplicate a particular restaurant dish rather than just feed myself.

The epiphany was my BiL (who apprenticed under a French chef) serving me wonderful food, my asking what it was because it was so fabulous, and it was "chicken with salt and pepper" or "noodles with butter, salt and pepper", and I swore he must've had some secret ingredient for mashed potatoes, but only if white pepper is secret.

So since then I try to learn how to cook simple things well rather than try for a fancy dish. Technique is usually more important than particular ingredients, meaning I no longer fret about which of 10 different recipes is the "right" one for what new dish I'm trying for.

Sounds good. I need to spend more time at the site below - it isn't the recipes so much that caught my eye, but the way he lays out the recipe as a time-line. I'm terrible with serial instructions - do this, do that, then do this, and while that is soaking, do this other thing. He lays it all out in a grid, visually with operations in parallel, and you can see where the time blocks are, or if you are going to need 5 burners and you only have 4!

I end up doing this to some degree on paper, or I get lost!

Beef Stroganoff - Recipe File - Cooking For Engineers
Cooking For Engineers

-ERD50

Attachments

• cooking_process.png
    cooking_process.png
    38 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom