Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Yeah, prohibition does work to create black markets, you got me there. [emoji3]
keeps prisons full too
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Do any FDA regulations cover this? Does it have to comply with kosher or halal standards? All I'd seen about regulating legal MJ dealt with aspects other than its food/pharma cleanliness.

I'm just asking, not judging.
Since it is not legal from a Federal point of view, I doubt the FDA has rules about the growing of it.

In Canada, since you are allowed to grow 4 plants yourself, which if you put some effort into it, means about 12 per year allowing for 4 month growing season (with lights and care).

If you grow it yourself, you can follow all the organic practices for cleanliness, like no pesticides, etc.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I saw what happens with legalized pot first hand. First comes lots of out of state money. All the second and third rate store fronts get bought or leased. Then the second, third and fourth rate industrial space is bought or leased for grow operations. Then all the support services expand, move in or are started. Bag, box supplier, packaging etc and all the other things needed to support retail sales come into place. Then the perception of a "cool" place to live begins to take hold and other industries move in. Housing and rents increase, a lot. Roads get overcrowded, but still more move in...until housing becomes stupidly expensive. I hear now that as many move out of Denver as move in. I think Colorado has reached saturation. Pot sales are flat. It was a wild ride to the top.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
I live in a small colorado town that has allowed recreational marijuana, and we haven't noticed any uptick in crime or illegal growers. People no longer need to search for illegally grown weed. They can buy weed that is strictly regulated, tested, and free of the risks that blackmarket weed has. It actually discourages that element.
Further - drinking and smoking don't attract radically different people. The pot smoking stereotype is just that - a stereo type.
Agreed.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Since it is not legal from a Federal point of view, I doubt the FDA has rules about the growing of it.

In Canada, since you are allowed to grow 4 plants yourself, which if you put some effort into it, means about 12 per year allowing for 4 month growing season (with lights and care).

If you grow it yourself, you can follow all the organic practices for cleanliness, like no pesticides, etc.

The two biggest pests are deer, and humans...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read if a Canadian wants to visit the US never admit to using it to CBP. It will put you on a ban list since it is scheduled.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I read if a Canadian wants to visit the US never admit to using it to CBP.
And never ask them if they happen to have a couple or three extra pizzas lying around.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Housing and rents increase, a lot. Roads get overcrowded, but still more move in...until housing becomes stupidly expensive. I hear now that as many move out of Denver as move in. I think Colorado has reached saturation. Pot sales are flat. It was a wild ride to the top.
I don't think this is due to legalized weed sales. It was happening here long before recreational marijuana arrived. Tourism ebbs and flows, and I'm sure the novelty of buying weed is part of the draw, but I have yet to see hard evidence that this has created a wave of new people moving here.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I read if a Canadian wants to visit the US never admit to using it to CBP. It will put you on a ban list since it is scheduled.

I live close to the southern border and have to go through a border checkpoint every time I need to travel out of town. Even though medical marijuana is legal in AZ you can run into issues if you try to take it through a checkpoint. If the dog sniffs it out the border patrol agent will likely take it away from you even if you have a medical prescription for it. There are containers available that local medical marijuana users use to get past the checkpoints without being sniffed out. I've gone through the checkpoints 100's of times and have never been asked any questions about drugs but a checkpoint is a lot different then going through a border crossing.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

As I understand things, the state theoretically maintains standards, but who knows what actually goes on in the grows. The lack of Federal legality means that you cannot have organic, approved methods/chemicals, etc., so this is all hampered.

I've no recent experience (like in the last 25 years) with weed and no experience at all growing it. Is 4 plants a lot? How hard is it to grow this stuff? I have seen hemp plants in rural/farming areas of Nebraska that are still hanging around as ferals after escaping during WWII cultivation, but have no idea how that compares to growing a usable product.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 06-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Closed Thread

Tags
canada, legal, marijuana