Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Legalized Marijuana - tourism boost ?
Old 06-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Legalized Marijuana - tourism boost ?

Canada legalized Marijuana Federally and will let the provinces work out the implementation details.

Largely it appears 1 oz is totally legal to use or share, and you can grow 4 plants at home except in Quebec where they don't want you to grow any a home.

I wonder if this will increase tourism to Canada, or just have the tourists mellowing around longer.

The nice thing, is that it will be legal, vs here in the USA , even if you are in a State that says it's legal, and allows the sale of it, the Feds could arrest you for drug use as it is illegal in Fed view for the entire country.

Don't rush up there yet, as it could take until Oct 15 for all the Provinces to be ready.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Farming will become more popular except in Quebec.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Eh, there may be a bit of extra tourism, but you can have the potbirds and all the extra homeless. Not worth it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 06-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Legalized lot brings a large influx of criminals--illegal growers. And the bootleggers are a very rough bunch of people. In California, the legal growers cannot be armed at the farm. And they are prime pickings for robbers holding them up for their "crops."

Nothing about legalizing marijuana makes sense.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

This will all sort out in the U.S. when the Feds make it legal and start collecting tax money on it. (kind of like booze and smokes).
Old 06-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
I live in a small colorado town that has allowed recreational marijuana, and we haven't noticed any uptick in crime or illegal growers. People no longer need to search for illegally grown weed. They can buy weed that is strictly regulated, tested, and free of the risks that blackmarket weed has. It actually discourages that element.
Further - drinking and smoking don't attract radically different people. The pot smoking stereotype is just that - a stereo type.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe it’s the crowd I run with but I know of no one who would head off anywhere to get high. No tourism from my sector. I personally have found successful people not too prone to head to a foreign country for that purpose. But then living in
Europe in the 70s, at an Amsterdam McDonalds I went for a burger and by passed the guy selling hash. I would think a boost, if any, will be offset by the residents of Canada living with the results brewer12345 writes of.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The more pot the better!
Old 06-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Eh, there may be a bit of extra tourism, but you can have the potbirds and all the extra homeless. Not worth it.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Potbirds I can figure out, but where do the homeless come in? Do you have any references to back that up? Or are you just grumping? Nothing I have seen from any of the legal states infers an increase in crime or homelessness. CA is the worst, but that's mostly because they are implementing it with the same political astuteness/halfassedness they bring to everything else. And even there I haven't seen any reports of increased homelessness.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Last time I was in Canada/Nova Scotia, the sales tax was 15% and a six pack of the cheapest beer was $12.99.

Expect the government to tax pot to the point it is simply unaffordable. That is when the bootleggers will pick up the slack.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Potbirds I can figure out, but where do the homeless come in? Do you have any references to back that up? Or are you just grumping? Nothing I have seen from any of the legal states infers an increase in crime or homelessness. CA is the worst, but that's mostly because they are implementing it with the same political astuteness/halfassedness they bring to everything else. And even there I haven't seen any reports of increased homelessness.
Maybe he noticed some local trends in Colorado after their legalization a few years ago?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The statistics I saw about Colorado after legalization was that the same percentage of the population smoked pot before and after legalization. Probably because businesses still do drug testing. And I saw some surveys that said high school use of pot was down, maybe because it is no longer taboo and cool.

I got to vote for legalization in Colorado, and the reason many of us voted for it was to stop having to pay for prison housing for pot smokers. We just were being cheap. There is no reason to put pot heads in jail. Too many people are in jail as it is.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 06-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Truth to tell, there are a lot of confounding causes that may mean that the fairly widely held view locally of grifters showing up in larger numbers to smoke legal dope is not founded on reality. Denver and surrounding areas have seen a marked increase in homeless populations, encampments, panhandling, etc. in the last few years. It dovetails with weed legalization, but at the same time Denver has become a much bigger city with big city problems (homeless, drugs, etc.), the opioid epidemic has exploded, and the city gubmint has turned hopelessly shoot-ourselves-in-the-foot liberal and set out free stuff and encouragement. So with all these things happening more or less at the same time, it might not be the legal weed. All I know is that when I walk down the pedestrian mall downtown or take the train, I generally just about keel over from the stench of weed, BO, homeless droppings, etc.

- George Orwell

Old 06-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I got to vote for legalization in Colorado, and the reason many of us voted for it was to stop having to pay for prison housing for pot smokers. We just were being cheap. There is no reason to put pot heads in jail. Too many people are in jail as it is.
I voted for it because I thought all of the drug war stuff was a colossal waste of my tax dollars. I knew it would remain federally illegal and therefore would be off limits to me for the duration even if I had an interest.

- George Orwell

Old 06-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
This will all sort out in the U.S. when the Feds make it legal and start collecting tax money on it. (kind of like booze and smokes).
Yes, once big pharma gets its hands on cannabis, watch out!!

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 06-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Last time I was in Canada/Nova Scotia, the sales tax was 15% and a six pack of the cheapest beer was $12.99.

Expect the government to tax pot to the point it is simply unaffordable. That is when the bootleggers will pick up the slack.
That sounds about right for Canada. Of course with beer and wine that lead to a lot of homebrewing. In my state you are entitled to grow something like 12 plants for personal consumption, so if it ever gets too expensive to buy I imagine lots of people will take up hydroponic gardening.

- George Orwell

Old 06-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Yes, once big pharma gets its hands on cannabis, watch out!!
Why? - they can’t patent it.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #18

No worries, I am not tempted to rush off to Canada for an oz of pot. Now, I may want to travel there for the culture, the scenery, the architecture, the countryside, the arts, but really, traveling to obtain drugs doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Homeless have a tough time in Canada, due to the winters.

Even if you are not homeless, the winter is a danger there:

Woman's frozen body found in Ottawa snowbank | CBC News

Man's frozen body found after Ontario storm | CBC News

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mother...reet-1.3744377
Old 06-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Last time I was in Canada, 2006, I smoked(no longer a combination user) a lot of Cannabis. Wasn't legal but nobody cared. We were in Vancouver and the indoor smoking regulations were all that were enforced. On the weekends they didn't patrol, so the place was like an Amsterdam experience. You couldn't buy on site but if you asked anyone you would know what bar and jukebox to stand by.[emoji12]

During the week they did patrol and people jammed into a little smoking room with a ventilator. Imagine a hotbox with a dozen new Canadian friends? Pretty cool.

So what changed?

Honestly I appreciate what Canada has done. Living in a legal state puts the insanity in perspective. The data are very clear as to the benefits of legalization.
Closed Thread

Tags
canada, legal, marijuana