Join Early Retirement Today

Leggos
Old 10-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Leggos

I have a 7 yo grandson who is absolutely enchanted with Legos. Often he builds things without any template, but he has borrowed Lego books that his father had back in the 70s and a book he found somewhere at our house. We had saved his father's bricks and dear old Dad bought more on EBay last year. He has a decent inventory at our house and a collection at his house that many a hobbyist would envy.

He also digs out our basket of Lincoln Logs when he visits our home.

As his grandparents we think he is a genius but is there any advice others can give about this passion? [He is in a Spanish emersion program, active in Cub Scouts, takes swimming and gymnastics classes, participates in soccer. A very social kid.] Other than suggesting to his parents that they back off on extra curricular programs.. your thoughts...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #2

At 7 he could do Jr. FLL, and next year FLL. FLL is a legos (technics) based robotics program. This is my 5th year coaching FLL - and it's a lot of fun.

They get the building aspect, with some programming and strategy (based on the NXT or EV3 programmable brick) and they also learn to research and problem solve based on each years theme.

Welcome to FIRST LEGO League | USFIRST.org

There are also some really good books on building simple machines with legos and technics (a more advanced lego - uses pins to hold beams together.)

The LEGO Technic Idea Book: Simple Machines: Yoshihito Isogawa: 9781593272777: Amazon.com: Books

I love the FIRST program because it encourages creativity, collaboration, innovation, competition with cooperation (they call it coopertition), etc.... Some schools run programs but our team is just a neighborhood group - I have the mission table in my living room (yeah - not a good design element) and us parents split the costs.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This spring he participated in a Lego Club out by Washington Square (Beaverton/Tigard Oregon). He was in kindergarten but placed at the 3rd grade level. There is a neighborhood parent who wants to get a club together but finding a time that works for these kids is tough.

I really wish life were simpler. Swimming classes are a high priority but gymnastics?? Cub Scouts provide life skills. Soccer is nice if for no reason than to get the wiggles out. I wish his parents would dial back all this extra curricular stuff and give him more time to think.

[Grandparent rant] Long discussion in the car today about inter-planetary travel, how big is the universe, and what it takes to live on other planets. Damn I love those grandkids.