Lena Has Bad Bike Crash

Wow, that had to be scary for both of you. Hope she bounces back fast. I can understand her fears, but in time she might be open to easy rides as you mentioned.

Good luck to you both.

All the best to her (and you) from a fellow cyclist and admirer of your adventures.

Although you don't know what caused her accident, I am an advocate for disc brakes with everyone I talk to. The extra stopping power can, and has, meant the difference between embarrassment and injury for me. Thankfully she was wearing her helmet and had you to take care of her. Kudos on your quick thinking, level head and quick response. You did well by your wife that day.

Oh my, I'm so sorry this happened. :(

Take good care of each other...I'm sure y'all will have plenty of adventures to enjoy together. Hugs to you and Lena.

That is terrible. My wishes for a smooth and fast recovery for her. Your thoughts at this time are perfectly reasonable; you can always rethink after some time has passed.

Oh my!! Glad to hear that she will make a full recovery.

What an awful and scary experience for both of you! Especially since she can't remember why it happened. I understand her hesitancy to ride again but perhaps with time and the accident in the past, she will reconsider. Am thankful she will make a full recovery. My thoughts and prayers to both of you!

Al, I am very sorry that this hapened to Lena, and I completely understand her feelings, and also the confusion and doubt that it may create in you.

I am glad she is recovering very quickly.

Ha

Lena's blessed to have a husband like you who understands the physical and emotional trauma she's been through. With that kind of love and support, she's sure to recover more quickly. I wish the best to both of you during this difficult time.

Wow. Fingers crossed here for a quick and total recovery.

Al, I got the chills reading that. I hope she recovers and starts to miss bicycling, it's something you both enjoy so much.

My DH goes out on his bike every chance he gets. He like to ride around the neighborhood but ventures much farther at times. I don't go because I don't like riding with cars. He has told me of too many close calls. I wouldn't want him to stop riding because it's what he loves. About all I can do is remind him to be careful and make sure he has his phone with him.

He bought a bike carrier for the car and we have some nice Bike & Hike trails in the metroparks but he doesn't like having to drive to the park and maneuver around the strolling pedestrians .

We'll all be hoping for Lena's full recovery.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear of Lena's accident. I hope for her full recovery and that she eventually decides to get on the bike again. It's good you were with her and could get the emergency services to her. What a scary and painful experience. Take care and send my best wishes to Lena!

Sorry to hear about the crash but glad she is making a speedy recovery

Sorry to hear this Al. I am glad Lena is recovering well. Seeing the photo it looked like such a beautiful ride. Get back in the saddle if you can.
Take care and God Bless

Ouch, best wishes for her recovery.

OTOH good thing on the incidental find. Taking care of that should prvent further bigger problems.

Al, I'm sorry to hear of Lena's accident. Scary. I can relate since a few years ago DW was snowmobiling in front of me and rounded a corner and when I rounded the same corner I saw her snowmobile was off the trail and had hit a tree and she laying on the ground and was initially not responsive either. Luckily, she had just knocked the wind out of herself. But I still remember the initial fear of seeing a loved one in trouble.

I'm glad to hear you are expecting a full recovery. Perhaps she'll feel differently about riding again once some time has passed.

Godspeed.

Hello T-Al,
Just remember that the accident is behind you both, and Lena is on the healing path. I send pure positive energy and visions of robust health!
Hugs:flowers:
Antmary

Many positive thoughts for a full recovery both physically and emotionally for Lena.

Sorry Al. I hope Lena gets better quickly. It is sad to see you considering quitting a fun and healthy pass-time that you both seemed to enjoy a lot. Accidents occasionally happen, if not biking then walking or driving. The odds remain as unlikely that either of you will have a serious bike accident going forward as they were before but I can see how it wouldn't feel that way after experiencing such an event.

Glad to hear she is getting better. Good that she had a helmet.

Lena will be in my prayers tonight. Wishing her a full and complete recovery.

I wish her a speedy recovery and hope you are also OK as this is hard on you too.
As a fellow rider, good thing for the helmet that did its job, don't want to even think about what would have happened otherwise...

Blessings that the cyst was discovered, kinda weird the way a tragic event brings about important discoveries.

An earlier suggestion about a tandem bike could prove helpful to you both.

I'm sorry to hear of Lena's accident. I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.

I've had a couple of serious bicycle accidents over the years, and one of them resulted in a concussion, unconsciousness, and amnesia. Neither accident involved another vehicle. I have no recollection of the accident which resulted in unconsciousness, but I was with a friend who saw what happened (a broken fender caused the accident). When I woke up on the road in a rural area, I couldn't retain any information, like Lena apparently. My friend said I asked over and over where I was and what happened. By the time I got to the hospital, I was able to remember I had already asked the question, but I couldn't remember the answer. I thought the whole thing was a bizarre dream until I woke up the next morning and recognized my surroundings from the evening before. In fact, I had amnesia covering a period of about 3 months prior to the accident. Everything beyond 3 months in the past, I could remember. But for the 3 months in the immediate past, nothing at all. From 24 to 48 hours after the accident, those long-term memories all gradually returned. That was a very odd experience.

After 48 hours in the hospital, I was released and my friend and I got a ride back to the site of the accident where our bikes were being stored in a farmhouse. I could remember riding on the same road up to a certain point perhaps a 5 or 10 minute bike ride from where the accident took place. The memory from that point on to when I woke up on the road will never return. I have read that that is normal for a concussion like mine. I suspect the same will be true for Lena.

In my case, I wasn't afraid to get back on my bike. Indeed, I had to get back on my bike because we were in the middle of nowhere when I had the accident. Most of my visible injuries were in my face. I had stitches in several places on my face and lots of bloody scabs. Over the next few days, maybe weeks, people stared at me everywhere I went. It all eventually healed remarkably well. To this day, anytime I perceive someone near me who is disfigured in some way, I avoid staring at them out of respect.

Back
Top Bottom