Lena Has Bad Bike Crash

Wow; sorry about the accident but glad to see she is recovering. My DW was hit by a car last August while on her bike. Her injuries were not as severe as Lena's, but she will not go on a bike again on the street. I understand Lena's fear.
Best wishes for her continuing recovery.

Makes you realize how fragile life can be... hope for a speedy recover for Lena....

Wow - what a horrific experience!

I wish the best for both of you.

Audrey

Best wishes for Lena's speedy recovery. Hopefully she regains her passion for biking as well, but I can understand why she doesn't want to bike again.

Al, I'm very sorry to hear about Lena's accident but glad to hear she's recovering quickly. Best wishes to you both!

T/Al, sorry to hear about Lena's accident. Hope she recovers quickly. It reminded me of an accident I witnessed a few weeks ago in our area. Guy was riding one of those crotch rockets (not fast either) and he hit something on the street, maybe a piece of wood. Boy, did he take a tumble. I'm thinking what would have happened if he had been going faster. Luckily he landed in someone's yard and didn't get too messed up. Walked away from it all. Gotta really keep a sharp eye out. Best wishes to Lena.

Last edited:
Glad to hear she's recovering well. I completely understand her reluctance to ride again. Keep us updated!

Along with everyone, I'm also hoping for a speedy recovery for Lena.

I think you are going to have to be patient with her about getting back to riding. Since she can't recall what caused the fall, it is just human nature to be even more insecure about it.

I had a similar experience with a serious car accident. The guy came out of the blue and hit me (blind intersection). After getting out of the hospital, the first thing I wanted (needed?) to do was to visit the 'scene of the crime'. What I hoped to see was some kind of a reason for me to blame myself for the accident. If I could do that, I could convince myself that I just need to be more careful, look for this or that, and I can keep myself safe. But it wasn't there. It was a blind intersection, and if someone blows through their stop sign just as I get there, I get hit, and there is nothing I can do about it. It is very unsettling. Sticks with me to this day.

While this is far from being a test-pilot, I remember one of the messages from the book "The Right Stuff". Whenever a test pilot 'bought the farm', or 'augured in', the other test pilots talked about how he must have made some dumb mistake. It's a self-defense mechanism - if we convince ourselves that it happened because the other guy was careless, then it can't happen to us, because we are on top of it. But sometimes, stuff just happens. That is hard to process.

So glad she had that helmet.

-ERD50

Along with everyone, I'm also hoping for a speedy recovery for Lena.

I think you are going to have to be patient with her about getting back to riding. Since she can't recall what caused the fall, it is just human nature to be even more insecure about it.

I had a similar experience with a serious car accident. The guy came out of the blue and hit me (blind intersection). After getting out of the hospital, the first thing I wanted (needed?) to do was to visit the 'scene of the crime'. What I hoped to see was some kind of a reason for me to blame myself for the accident. If I could do that, I could convince myself that I just need to be more careful, look for this or that, and I can keep myself safe. But it wasn't there. It was a blind intersection, and if someone blows through their stop sign just as I get there, I get hit, and there is nothing I can do about it. It is very unsettling. Sticks with me to this day.

While this is far from being a test-pilot, I remember one of the messages from the book "The Right Stuff". Whenever a test pilot 'bought the farm', or 'augured in', the other test pilots talked about how he must have made some dumb mistake. It's a self-defense mechanism - if we convince ourselves that it happened because the other guy was careless, then it can't happen to us, because we are on top of it. But sometimes, stuff just happens. That is hard to process.

So glad she had that helmet.

-ERD50

Reminds me of the army pilots prayer:
Dear Lord please do not let me screw up on this flight, but if I do, please make sure I die in the accident so I do not have to spend the next ten years listening to my friends talk about what I did wrong.

Very glad to hear Lena is doing OK and recovering well. I can only imagine how scary this would be.

Best Wishes to you both.

Nano

I'm sorry to hear about this and hope for a speedy recovery for your wife T-Al. Having been in bicycle accidents myself, and a father-in-law who is almost totally paralyzed from one, I certainly wish for a quick recovery.

Right now, I'm kind of feeling that it's not worth it. When someone was killed on my regular route it didn't phase me at all, but seeing my wife bloody and unconscious on the ground makes the whole thing more real in a way you can't appreciate until it happens to you.

I'm getting there. Sunday was a great ride for 20 miles, then an aggressive driver on a road with no shoulder set me down on my side hard. Good news is that hip and elbow are OK. Though the wrist is broken to make sure I learn a lesson.

Time to reevaluate exercise options.

I'm getting there. Sunday was a great ride for 20 miles, then an aggressive driver on a road with no shoulder set me down on my side hard. Good news is that hip and elbow are OK. Though the wrist is broken to make sure I learn a lesson.

Here you go! So much safer, and the weather is always perfect.

Attachments

• stationary-Bike.jpg
    stationary-Bike.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 0

Sorry to hear of your crash, Tekward. Hope you recover quickly.

Ha

Sorry to hear of your crash, Tekward. Hope you recover quickly.

Ha

Me too, Tekward! I didn't realize until going back to re-read your post just now, that you had not just taken a spill, but actually broke your wrist. How dreadful. I am so sorry this happened to you.

Good news is that hip and elbow are OK. Though the wrist is broken to make sure I learn a lesson.

You have a great attitude to find the silver lining about the bones you didn't break. I hope you have some heavy duty painkillers.

Did the aggressive driver stop to help you?

Ouch! I hope your wrist heals well without too much pain.

Back
Top Bottom