Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #61
Gone but not forgotten

Al, Do what I do make up an excuse . Since Jenny is getting older and we will soon be straddled with Sil's and extended family we think it's time to cut back on our Christmas giving . Maybe we could draw names or just exchange cards or a homemade goodie ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
... or just exchange cards or a homemade goodie ?
Is this like the families that mail the same cards and/or fruitcakes back & forth for decades?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since I semi-funded a wedding this year and I've acquired a new son-in-law, I'm not giving much this year. My daughter and new husband are pinching pennies right now so I've decided to wrap some simple household products such as soap, dishwashing powder, shampoo etc, just for the fun of guessing what the items are and having more packages to unwrap.

I will probably just spend about $75 apiece for presents then give them about $150 each in cash. If I start at a low amount, I'm hoping as the years go by, I can increase my giving to them and their future children.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I will probably just spend about $75 apiece for presents then give them about $150 each in cash. If I start at a low amount, I'm hoping as the years go by, I can increase my giving to them and their future children.
Whoa, that is starting low? Is there an application available for adoption? I'm interested in applying!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Whoa, that is starting low? Is there an application available for adoption? I'm interested in applying!
Do you really want us to get into a discussion of how much a dollar was worth way back when we were "starting low"?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I guess I was lucky coming from an old Scottish family. Also being the youngest son of the youngest son of 8. Nobody wanted to exchange anything but warm wishes.

But the accumulation of stuff stopped in 1995 when we severely downsized to a 1BR Apt. It started to grow again when we moved to a 3BR penthouse and then again when we acquired a condo in the sun. But home swaps force us to keep some cupboards empty and we have a rule that, when something new comes in, something old goes out. Most people say that we are amazingly "light".

But the real test was when the grandchildren came along. Each year we contribute to their education. No gifts but hugs and kisses.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
... She also wears perfumes that turn me on, so when she is getting low and wants to continue with that scent she might tell me and I'll pick it up for Christmas or some other occasion. For for her giving to me, I'm like the Big Bopper.

Like the thread and TED. Thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
When I was still living with my parents we had a $10 limit...many years ago. When I married, my in-laws started giving $$ at Christmas to the sons and daughters-in-law (six people). That was a shock to my system, since no one had done that to me before. The in-laws also gave all the grandkids (5 grandkids) $$ every Christmas. I know that I won't ever go THAT high.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Just venting a bit:

We have always exchanged gifts. My mom would send me checks to buy gifts for my bro, SIL and nephew and vice versa. It was fun.

My nephew just got married this year and is complaining non-stop about the cost of living in a new house, having 3 cars, hobbies, etc. Saving money is not even on the radar. He informed us that he will not be giving any gifts this year, but is highly put out that we said that it was probably time that we stopped exchanging anyhow, now that mom has passed. "Precious" wants gifts (and only high-end stuff) - he just doesn't want to give gifts. He also doesn't want to come over on xmas morning but asked us to cart his gifts over to his in-laws so he could open them there.

Not going to happen.

Where do some people get their sense of entitlement
Old 11-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Nuiola
Give him the eternal gift of the "Bronx cheer".
Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Guilt trips are not what the season is about, sis.
Are you quite sure of that? I have a feeling that without guilt the commercial side of Christmas would be kaput, along with at least half of the non-grocery retail space in America. Unfortunately, the commercial side is most of what remains of Christmas.

Ha
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Are you quite sure of that? I have a feeling that without guilt the commercial side of Christmas, which is moshat remains of Christmas, would be kaput, along with at least half of the non-grocery retail space in America.

Ha
Could be. Funniest thing is that I am probably the most active Catholic of my siblings so you would think I would be the most wedded to the traditional trappings

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

What those who wish to celebrate the spirit of Christmas should do is this:

Declare Dec. 25 as Merchandiser's Day. Let people who buy, buy, buy and stress out over gifts have their feast.

Then, return to celebrating the traditional 12 days of Christmas. Give a small present every few days, visit friends and relatives, worhsip as you see fit, enjoy life!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut

Declare Dec. 25 as Merchandiser's Day. Let people who buy, buy, buy and stress out over gifts have their feast.

Then, return to celebrating the traditional 12 days of Christmas. Give a small present every few days, visit friends and relatives, worhsip as you see fit, enjoy life!
Not a bad idea actually. We've kind of done that already. Dec 25 is merchandiser's day, and Thanksgiving is the non-commercial holiday. Or is it eat a lot and watch football day?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #75

T-Al - thanks for the laughs on this thread - loved the approach of be nice and they just pooh-pooh you - be mean and they shut down :-) Sounds like it all worked out well in the end.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Or it could be Festivus for the rest of us.

Festivus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia