Let's Keep the Memorial in Memorial Day

Continuing on one of the tangents... I recall Memorial Day in my childhood being on May 30. Why was it May 30 versus any other day in May? Maybe somebody here can answer that. Probably harkens back to Decoration Day celebrated at various locations around the country remembering the dead from the Civil War. Regardless, it wasn't until 1971 (I think) that it was changed to be the last Monday in May, thereby providing the "long" weekend.

From Wikipdedia, if you can believe it...

The holiday is now observed on the last Monday of May, Memorial Day having been observed on May 30 from 1868 to 1970. Many people visit cemeteries and memorials on Memorial Day, particularly to honor those who died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries.

ON EDIT: Thanks to FDC319 for the reference to the article mentioned above in post #25

Last edited:
Continuing on one of the tangents... I recall Memorial Day in my childhood being on May 30. Why was it May 30 versus any other day in May? Maybe somebody here can answer that. Probably harkens back to Decoration Day celebrated at various locations around the country remembering the dead from the Civil War. Regardless, it wasn't until 1971 (I think) that it was changed to be the last Monday in May, thereby providing the "long" weekend.

From Wikipdedia, if you can believe it...

The holiday is now observed on the last Monday of May, Memorial Day having been observed on May 30 from 1868 to 1970. Many people visit cemeteries and memorials on Memorial Day, particularly to honor those who died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries.

ON EDIT: Thanks to FDC319 for the reference to the article mentioned above in post #25

If the government could manage it they would make the 4th of July and Christmas happen on a Monday every year....

Back
Top Bottom