Join Early Retirement Today

Liability approach for kid driver
Old 02-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Liability approach for kid driver

Likely a common topic not sure how to best search for it so asking:

My now 21 yr son, with a full DL, is still on our auto insurance and sharing our cars. All good zero incidents.

BUT:

Seems best to detach him completely from a liability standpoint, no?

As in get a car in his his name, and his own policy.

Concern is that even then he would be living in our home, does that pierce some liability to us somehow?

Or keep with our healthy insurance + umbrella, but then again also our potential monkey.

Not looking for legal advice and realize there are no absolutes but is the general thinking among our like-minded ER crowd that its best to spin them off for liability?

All thoughts appreciated!
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would think that a 21 year old would be independent from a liability standpoint regardless of who owned the auto or the auto policy. The only exception to this that I can imagine is contributory negligence if, for example, you owned the car he drove and you failed to, say, maintain the brakes and that resulted in an accident.

I'd be curious what your umbrella policy agent says about if your son would be covered under it. I would guess not.

But IANAL, YMMV, etc.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

When our son had his car loan paid off (DH was co-signer on the loan) it was titled in his name and he got his own insurance. He was still in college so we picked up the cost of insurance. It would have been cheaper to do it all in our name, but that wasn’t the point. If you discuss it with your adult son I would expect he would step up to the plate. Liability is a big deal. So is a young adults self esteem and transition to total financial independence.
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Concern is that even then he would be living in our home, does that pierce some liability to us somehow? Likely yes at 21 , as crazy as that sounds.

Does he formally "Rent" a room ? .

"Or keep with our healthy insurance + umbrella, but then again also our potential monkey." My 2 cents , yes, and get him started off under his own roof as soon as practical.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

DS1 lives away from us, has his own car and insurance so we are free from him.

DS2 lives with us and drives our car a couple times a week. We talked to our insurance agent and our understanding is that he is covered under our car insurance and umbrella insurance. He is listed as a driver on our car insurance and umbrella insurance. We think that even if he has his own car and insurance, as long as he lives with us, we need to list him. We need him to move out and get his own car.
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

DD owns her own car but carries insurance under our policy because its cheaper. She has maintained our address as her legal reference but will switch it later this year. At that time I assume she will have to go on a separate auto policy. She keeps a cell phone under our plan for the same reason.

I don't think liability is an issue for us. It is not tremendously different than back in my days. My parents didn't keep us on policies but I did use their address as my official residence during my frequent move days. It was easier than going down to the DMV every few months to change my driver's license. At the time zone parking wasn't an issue so it didn't matter much where in the city my cars were registered.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:08 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are keeping DS and his car on our policy until we move out. We have lots of discounts now-no accident, etc. and it’s much cheaper. We all three met with our insurance guy last year to review our changing needs.

He’ll get his own policy when he moves out permanently.

DS is a cautious driver anyway.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
We are keeping DS and his car on our policy until we move out.
A new option presents itself to parents like me with children who fail to launch...
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would talk to my insurance agent if I were you. Separate seems best, but I would also consider making sure I had an umbrella policy. You can always work out some payment arrangement with DS if desired.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Title the car in his name, and insure it separately in his name will put liability for that car in his responsibility. His policy will be primary coverage for anyone driving his car, even you. And, vice versa his policy will be secondary to your policy should he occasionally borrow your car. Your policy will not respond to his negligence while he operates his owned car.
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote