Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Most of the longevity calculators listed in this thread, give you a 1 year "bonus" for imbibing alcoholic beverages. I will add " responsibly imbibing in alcoholic beverages", but I may be biased.
what if you've already hit your limit? still get the one year?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I've been able to just "cut back" on my drinking to just a few a week.
that's awesome!
Old 07-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Actually it was 94.2 when he got to 93.5 so he beat it even at the last!
Can a person age faster than the government updating the life expectancy tables?

"Say what", I can hear someone ask.

Sorry, but I just finished watching a Fermilab Youtube video on how the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, such that there are galaxies that we will never see, no matter how many billions of years we are willing to wait.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Can a person age faster than the government updating the life expectancy tables?
I think he just spent his whole life at the 80th percentile of the life expectancy curves!

I use 80% to account for the worst case for how long my stash will last. The spread between 20% and 80% is something like 14 years. Add in my younger wife and there is another few years.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just listened to a Terri Gross podcast (interview) with Geriatrician MD (Dr Louise Aronson). Interesting medical info regarding how the body changes when we age. Medicines react differently and the immune system changes dramatically. How meds affect the organs, especially kidney and liver. Good listen but approx. 50 minutes. There is a summary if you don't want to listen to the interview.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...cians-can-help

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
That's why I quit riding motorcycles. To many close calls. I don't lead a healthy lifestyle but motorcycles got my attention (more than once) as too risky for me. Probably my riding style, which I refused to change, significantly increased that risk.

There are only two things that I've really enjoyed in life but quit due to higher risks. Smoking and motorcycles.
I tried riding motorcycle a few times and I liked it. But, I am absent minded at times when I am driving. I will be the same way when I ride motorcycle. I stopped riding bicycle b/c I ran into a few accidents caused by being absent minded. Riding motorcycle will significantly curtail my longevity. I am sure of it.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

After a few close calls on my motorcycle I decided to become a vintage sports car guy. 58 MGA
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m a 1954 baby too. I sure don’t feel as if I’ll be dead in less than 10 years. 😂
msanniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:03 PM   #69
gone traveling

I just turned 68, retired in 2010. This calculator says I'm going to live to 105!

How depressing!
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:57 AM   #70
Confused about dryer sheets

I am 53 and live in the UK. I retired at 51.

This calculator https://www.confused.com/life-insura...ncy-calculator
suggests I will live to 53 if I:

Smoke 20+ a day, have more than 3 hours of passive smoking, do no exercise, eat lots of fried/fatty foods, eat no fruit or vegetables, have an unhappy relationship with 3 or more traumatic life events, with no friends and both parents dead before 75, and overall very unhappy. Maximum 8 more months..

Luckily I am the complete opposite to those things (but I used to smoke) so it reckons I'll live to 91 :-)
I'll take that!!!
steveprior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:01 AM   #71
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I just turned 68, retired in 2010. This calculator says I'm going to live to 105!

How depressing!
Not sure why you would find that depressing. But I'm sure the calculator doesn't say that you must live to 105. You always have choices.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Banking on it
Old 07-24-2019, 07:13 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Banking on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post

May you all beat the tables and help to bankrupt the SS system!
We're planning on it, Koolau. Continued best wishes to you!
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post

How depressing!
That calculator requires a month/day/year birthdate, an email address, and a statement that you accept their privacy policy.

I put in a fake birth date, but I'm not going to give them my real email.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Yeah, about averages ...
Old 07-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #74
Confused about dryer sheets

Yeah, about averages ...

A black belt where I worked made a comment once about averages, it went something like this:

If a guy has one foot in a bucket of ice water and the other foot in a bucket of near boiling hot water, on average, he's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Simple, eh? Average Life Expectancy is 78.6 years.

Maybe not that simple. That 78.6 is the average for men and women for persons born in 2010. Since you weren't born in 1910, is there another way of looking at age?

Try this:

https://www.infoplease.com/life-expe...-sex-1930-2010

It's the average life expectancy based birth year. Much ado about nothing, except that you might want to see how you're doing compared to the odds.

For example, if you were born around 1960, your average life expectancy would be age 70.

In my case, when I was born, life expectancy, would be 62.(now 83)

Yes... averages are meaningless, but can give a sense of perspective.

An aside... this year, for the second year in a row, life expectancy will be shorter than the year before.

https://fortune.com/2018/02/09/us-li...dropped-again/
gnawbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Grim Stat
Old 07-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Grim Stat

"An aside... this year, for the second year in a row, life expectancy will be shorter than the year before."

Due to two reported reasons, suicides and drug overdoses. Sad.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Never trust a website unless it's your mother's
Old 07-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #76

Never trust a website unless it's your mother's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
That calculator requires a month/day/year birthdate, an email address, and a statement that you accept their privacy policy.

I put in a fake birth date, but I'm not going to give them my real email.
I'm with you.

It is disingenuous to wait until the last page before they reveal that to get your results you must give them identifying data. That alone is reason enough to withhold it.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I'm with you.

It is disingenuous to wait until the last page before they reveal that to get your results you must give them identifying data. That alone is reason enough to withhold it.
Actually, you don't have to tell them anything.

I used that site and for my email I put in qwer@tyui.net and equally fictitious other data. No problem, I just kept clicking and got my results. They must have many thousands of similar entries and don't care.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Here is what the bible says.

Psalm 90:10
The days of our years are threescore years and ten.
That’s what my father always said, and he lived to be fourscore. He dug a big patch of English ivy out of our yard when he was 74.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Too busy right now to worry about it
Old 07-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #79

Too busy right now to worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Actually, you don't have to tell them anything.

I used that site and for my email I put in qwer@tyui.net and equally fictitious other data. No problem, I just kept clicking and got my results. They must have many thousands of similar entries and don't care.
This is true and I had thought of making up an email address, but I've had occasions where the website checked to see if it was real before proceeding. It just seemed like more trouble than it was worth. So I closed the tab and returned here to read more interesting stuff.

What I need to do is create a real account for all the times when someone I never want to hear from again asks me for my email. Then all I need do is go there once a month or so and delete everything. Meh, maybe later.