Life Expectancy

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Simple, eh? Average Life Expectancy is 78.6 years.

Maybe not that simple. That 78.6 is the average for men and women for persons born in 2010. Since you weren't born in 1910, is there another way of looking at age?

Try this:

https://www.infoplease.com/life-expectancy-birth-race-and-sex-1930-2010

It's the average life expectancy based birth year. Much ado about nothing, except that you might want to see how you're doing compared to the odds.

For example, if you were born around 1960, your average life expectancy would be age 70.

In my case, when I was born, life expectancy, would be 62.(now 83)

Yes... averages are meaningless, but can give a sense of perspective.

An aside... this year, for the second year in a row, life expectancy will be shorter than the year before.

https://fortune.com/2018/02/09/us-life-expectancy-dropped-again/

Last edited:
From the article..."Despair"...due to social media addiction, both directly and indirectly. Compulsive voyeurism into the "portrayed" lives of others can lead to many ugly emotions...followed by potentially destructive behaviors.

Oh, and a negative self image from living a completely sedentary life doesn't help either...

For 1954 it says 74. Hopefully that’s wrong by at least 10 years.

Heh, heh, I guess I'm a few years past expiry (and that's using the best scenario though I consider my self sort of "very faded and bland pink" instead of white.)

I prefer the guidelines for RMD's. By that, I'll be paying taxes for a long time to come. Hmmm. Sounds sort of good. Maybe there is a good side to paying taxes after all.

May you all beat the tables and help to bankrupt the SS system! :LOL:

Simple, eh? Average Life Expectancy is 78.6 years.

Maybe not that simple. That 78.6 is the average for men and women for persons born in 2010. Since you weren't born in 1910, is there another way of looking at age?

Try this:

https://www.infoplease.com/life-expectancy-birth-race-and-sex-1930-2010

It's the average life expectancy based birth year. Much ado about nothing, except that you might want to see how you're doing compared to the odds.

For example, if you were born around 1960, your average life expectancy would be age 70.

In my case, when I was born, life expectancy, would be 62.(now 83)

Yes... averages are meaningless, but can give a sense of perspective.

Back when SS was created, they did not expect too many people living past 65 to even claim the benefits. So many died off without claiming a dime, hence the tax rate was low.

Now, people live past 65, even get married late and have kids. :)

Here is what the bible says.

Psalm 90:10
The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

Ok, I've got 9 years to go. If I never go to sleep, I can stretch the 9 years to be 12.

Speaking of average, my male clan members have done a lot to lower the average. Out of the 11 male members, four have died at ages 21, 35, 49, and 53, respectively. The oldest of the remaining 7 is me at age 57. I think we are doing worse than the Kennedys.

one died at 46 ( from illness )

one died at 81 ( from illness ... similar to mine )

if i get to the grand-parents the average looks a little worse considering they all survived WW1 and WW2

Isn't Life Expectancy as projected from birth year irrelevant once one has made it to many decades of age? I remember seeing, and maybe also posted here by a E-R.org member, a different table.

For example, if you are presently age 65, you have made it past all the people in your birth year cohort who kicked the bucket pre-65. Something like the older you live year-by-year, the further out your likely age of death moves.

Does this sound familiar?

Isn't Life Expectancy as projected from birth year irrelevant once one has made it to many decades of age? I remember seeing, and maybe also posted here by a E-R.org member, a different table.

For example, if you are presently age 65, you have made it past all the people in your birth year cohort who kicked the bucket pre-65. Something like the older you live year-by-year, the further out your likely age of death moves.

Yes, it does. If you live to age 55 already, your life expectancy is way past the average, something in 80s. I've read it in some research.

Yes.

A man who just turns 65 today can expect to live another 19 years on average.

But back in 1954 when he was born, his life expectancy was only 68 or so. That number of 68 included many unfortunate persons who already died young.

It's kind of like this. When you first enter a contest with 100 participants, your chance of winning is not that high. But if you make it to the top 5 finalists, your chance of becoming the champion is a lot higher.

PS. The risk we talk about here applies when we know nothing about an individual. If you know something more specific, then it's different. For example, many congenital diseases are known for sure to cut short a baby's life, and the afflicted newborn is not expected to even make the average life of 68.

And between two 65-year-olds, one with high blood pressure, high blood glucose, high cholesterol, and one with none of the above, the chance of the latter outliving the first is higher. But of course, random things can happen and the seemingly healthier one may die of cancer first. There's nothing certain in life, and there's only probability.

Last edited:
i went to a seance many decades ago , where it was predicted , i would be married twice and dead by 26

so far that has been absolutely incorrect , however between 25 and 35 i was seriously ill twice ( at least ) ( and not even close to engaged )

so i learned one good lesson ... have a plan B ( and plan C )

i went to a seance many decades ago , where it was predicted , i would be married twice and dead by 26

so far that has been absolutely incorrect , however between 25 and 35 i was seriously ill twice ( at least ) ( and not even close to engaged )

so i learned one good lesson ... have a plan B ( and plan C )

You also learned seance is crap. :D

Isn't Life Expectancy as projected from birth year irrelevant once one has made it to many decades of age?

Yes.

If you are attempting to guess how much longer you will live, then the years prior to today are not relevant.

Yes.

A man who just turns 65 today can expect to live another 19 years on average.

But back in 1954 when he was born, his life expectancy was only 68 or so. That number of 68 included many unfortunate persons who already died young.

It's kind of like this. When you first enter a contest with 100 participants, your chance of winning is not that high. But if you make it to the top 5 finalists, your chance of becoming the champion is a lot higher.

PS. The risk we talk about here applies when we know nothing about an individual. If you know something more specific, then it's different. For example, many congenital diseases are known for sure to cut short a baby's life, and the afflicted newborn is not expected to even make the average life of 68.

And between two 65-year-olds, one with high blood pressure, high blood glucose, high cholesterol, and one with none of the above, the chance of the latter outliving the first is higher. But of course, random things can happen and the seemingly healthier one may die of cancer first. There's nothing certain in life, and there's only probability.
That was very well said.

Something like the older you live year-by-year, the further out your likely age of death moves.

When my Dad was 90, his life expectancy was 93.5 and he died at 95. So I think he spent his whole life on the upper part of the curve!

So for one with a heart that does not work at all (50% of it anyway) without electronic, computerized intervention, how does that fit in. 65 now had cardiac assistance intervention since 2006.

An acquaintance of my parents had a stroke when he was in his 50s. He recovered, but was never well again. Yet, he lingered until now, with all kinds of heart problems, diabetes, etc... My mother told me he has been in and out of the hospital all the time.

The man is still alive and at least 85 now. You would not think he beat the average, but he got way past that point. A lot of people who appeared much healthier did not survive seemingly simple ailments. You just never know. But I am not sure I want to live that long in his condition though.

I was hit with a serious illness out of the blue, just 6 months after I decided to stop work. It could have done me in. Darn, at the age of 55, that was unexpected. I told myself at least I did a lot of travel while I was still working, so could not really complain compared to much younger persons who died in their 30s and 40s.

Modern medicine cured me, at the cost of $200K (only $30K deductible out of my pocket). Just being alive and back to normal feels darn good. I don't need to blow any dough to be happy. :)

PS. Even if I had to pay the full $200K, it was still a good deal, compared to dying in pain and misery. :) If it were all I had, I would not complain while living in a van down by the river. Still beats being 6 ft under.

Last edited:
Yes, it does. If you live to age 55 already, your life expectancy is way past the average, something in 80s. I've read it in some research.

I'd like to see that data further refined to include a person's health. Some 55 year olds are on their death beds, and some are perfectly healthy. The latter group obviously has a (much) longer life expectancy than the former.

Lemme tell you another story.

While on the RV trek to Alaska, we met another couple in their late 60s, and hang out with them for a bit. We learned that the woman cheated cancer twice. The cancers were not related, meaning the 2nd one was not metastasized from the 1st. How do you feel hitting the "lottery" twice like that? But that happens more frequently than one would guess.

She was fine now, and had what was called "no evidence of disease" (NED). Of course, she felt very fortunate, and had been spending a lot of time and money doing charity work.

So for one with a heart that does not work at all (50% of it anyway) without electronic, computerized intervention, how does that fit in. 65 now had cardiac assistance intervention since 2006.

That's a conversation you should have with your doctor.

Back
Top Bottom