Join Early Retirement Today

Life Expectancy
Old 07-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Life Expectancy

Simple, eh? Average Life Expectancy is 78.6 years.

Maybe not that simple. That 78.6 is the average for men and women for persons born in 2010. Since you weren't born in 1910, is there another way of looking at age?

Try this:

https://www.infoplease.com/life-expe...-sex-1930-2010

It's the average life expectancy based birth year. Much ado about nothing, except that you might want to see how you're doing compared to the odds.

For example, if you were born around 1960, your average life expectancy would be age 70.

In my case, when I was born, life expectancy, would be 62.(now 83)

Yes... averages are meaningless, but can give a sense of perspective.

An aside... this year, for the second year in a row, life expectancy will be shorter than the year before.

https://fortune.com/2018/02/09/us-li...dropped-again/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

From the article..."Despair"...due to social media addiction, both directly and indirectly. Compulsive voyeurism into the "portrayed" lives of others can lead to many ugly emotions...followed by potentially destructive behaviors.

Oh, and a negative self image from living a completely sedentary life doesn't help either...
TheRunningMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For 1954 it says 74. Hopefully that’s wrong by at least 10 years.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Remember...they are averages...of everyone!
TheRunningMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Heh, heh, I guess I'm a few years past expiry (and that's using the best scenario though I consider my self sort of "very faded and bland pink" instead of white.)

I prefer the guidelines for RMD's. By that, I'll be paying taxes for a long time to come. Hmmm. Sounds sort of good. Maybe there is a good side to paying taxes after all.

May you all beat the tables and help to bankrupt the SS system!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Simple, eh? Average Life Expectancy is 78.6 years.

Maybe not that simple. That 78.6 is the average for men and women for persons born in 2010. Since you weren't born in 1910, is there another way of looking at age?

Try this:

https://www.infoplease.com/life-expe...-sex-1930-2010

It's the average life expectancy based birth year. Much ado about nothing, except that you might want to see how you're doing compared to the odds.

For example, if you were born around 1960, your average life expectancy would be age 70.

In my case, when I was born, life expectancy, would be 62.(now 83)

Yes... averages are meaningless, but can give a sense of perspective.
Back when SS was created, they did not expect too many people living past 65 to even claim the benefits. So many died off without claiming a dime, hence the tax rate was low.

Now, people live past 65, even get married late and have kids.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Here is what the bible says.

Psalm 90:10
The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ok, I've got 9 years to go. If I never go to sleep, I can stretch the 9 years to be 12.

Speaking of average, my male clan members have done a lot to lower the average. Out of the 11 male members, four have died at ages 21, 35, 49, and 53, respectively. The oldest of the remaining 7 is me at age 57. I think we are doing worse than the Kennedys.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
For 1954 it says 74. Hopefully that’s wrong by at least 10 years.
sorry but it is likely i will help ruin that average ( despite being a non-smoker )

74 might easily be opportunistic for me

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #10
gone traveling

Both parents died at 95.5
I use 95 as my scheduled death age.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #11

one died at 46 ( from illness )

one died at 81 ( from illness ... similar to mine )

if i get to the grand-parents the average looks a little worse considering they all survived WW1 and WW2

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Old 07-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #12

Isn't Life Expectancy as projected from birth year irrelevant once one has made it to many decades of age? I remember seeing, and maybe also posted here by a E-R.org member, a different table.

For example, if you are presently age 65, you have made it past all the people in your birth year cohort who kicked the bucket pre-65. Something like the older you live year-by-year, the further out your likely age of death moves.

Does this sound familiar?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Isn't Life Expectancy as projected from birth year irrelevant once one has made it to many decades of age? I remember seeing, and maybe also posted here by a E-R.org member, a different table.

For example, if you are presently age 65, you have made it past all the people in your birth year cohort who kicked the bucket pre-65. Something like the older you live year-by-year, the further out your likely age of death moves.

Yes, it does. If you live to age 55 already, your life expectancy is way past the average, something in 80s. I've read it in some research.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes.

A man who just turns 65 today can expect to live another 19 years on average.

But back in 1954 when he was born, his life expectancy was only 68 or so. That number of 68 included many unfortunate persons who already died young.

It's kind of like this. When you first enter a contest with 100 participants, your chance of winning is not that high. But if you make it to the top 5 finalists, your chance of becoming the champion is a lot higher.

PS. The risk we talk about here applies when we know nothing about an individual. If you know something more specific, then it's different. For example, many congenital diseases are known for sure to cut short a baby's life, and the afflicted newborn is not expected to even make the average life of 68.

And between two 65-year-olds, one with high blood pressure, high blood glucose, high cholesterol, and one with none of the above, the chance of the latter outliving the first is higher. But of course, random things can happen and the seemingly healthier one may die of cancer first. There's nothing certain in life, and there's only probability.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #15

i went to a seance many decades ago , where it was predicted , i would be married twice and dead by 26

so far that has been absolutely incorrect , however between 25 and 35 i was seriously ill twice ( at least ) ( and not even close to engaged )

so i learned one good lesson ... have a plan B ( and plan C )

Samuel Levenson
Old 07-12-2019, 01:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
i went to a seance many decades ago , where it was predicted , i would be married twice and dead by 26

so far that has been absolutely incorrect , however between 25 and 35 i was seriously ill twice ( at least ) ( and not even close to engaged )

so i learned one good lesson ... have a plan B ( and plan C )

You also learned seance is crap.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:28 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Isn't Life Expectancy as projected from birth year irrelevant once one has made it to many decades of age?
Yes.

If you are attempting to guess how much longer you will live, then the years prior to today are not relevant.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:31 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Both parents died at 95.5
I use 95 as my scheduled death age.
Parents alive at 89 and 86. Recently moved my expiry date to 93.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes.

A man who just turns 65 today can expect to live another 19 years on average.

But back in 1954 when he was born, his life expectancy was only 68 or so. That number of 68 included many unfortunate persons who already died young.

It's kind of like this. When you first enter a contest with 100 participants, your chance of winning is not that high. But if you make it to the top 5 finalists, your chance of becoming the champion is a lot higher.

PS. The risk we talk about here applies when we know nothing about an individual. If you know something more specific, then it's different. For example, many congenital diseases are known for sure to cut short a baby's life, and the afflicted newborn is not expected to even make the average life of 68.

And between two 65-year-olds, one with high blood pressure, high blood glucose, high cholesterol, and one with none of the above, the chance of the latter outliving the first is higher. But of course, random things can happen and the seemingly healthier one may die of cancer first. There's nothing certain in life, and there's only probability.
That was very well said.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Something like the older you live year-by-year, the further out your likely age of death moves.

When my Dad was 90, his life expectancy was 93.5 and he died at 95. So I think he spent his whole life on the upper part of the curve!