Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh! Of course. In addition to lookin to your choice of parents, a discussion with your doctor would, also, be useful.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
but it didn't ask about my own medical condition. Sure seems like a big omission!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
It does say that 'the calculator may not provide accurate results for individuals who have a chronic illness'...
If one already has a chronic disease, this kind of calculator does not apply. One then needs to look at the prognosis for his specific condition. For example, a patient currently undergoing treatment for cancer should find this calculator useless.

On other less severe conditions, they address high blood pressure, but not other things about your kidney, liver, lung functions.

That means the life span that it gives will be the optimistic upper end that one can expect.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I got 93, which is a lot more than I expect.

I have no history of males on my Dad's side, he was an only child and abandoned at a young age. He had a few health issues but never spent a day in the hospital until he was diagnosed with lymphoma at 72 and died 6 months later. Mom lived to 86, dying of "old age", no cancer, no dementia, her body just wore down. most of her siblings lived into their 80s and two are still alive at 90. She was still physically active into her early 80s.I have 2 older brothers in their late 60s and a sister in her mid-60s and all are healthy, normal weight, and active.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just to be clear that these things were generated and work on a population level but aren't meant for much other than entertainment (and perhaps motivation) for individuals.

Individual organ function tests aren't going to be of much value in an otherwise healthy individual. High blood pressure is highly predictive of future kidney issues, alcohol intake of liver issues, smoking of lung and cardiovascular issues and although no specific question about diabetes, this is likely covered by BMI, diet, exercise and family history of heart disease .
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just to be clear that these things were generated and work on a population level but aren't meant for much other than entertainment (and perhaps motivation) for individuals.

++1
Old 05-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Individual organ function tests aren't going to be of much value in an otherwise healthy individual. High blood pressure is highly predictive of future kidney issues, alcohol intake of liver issues, smoking of lung and cardiovascular issues and although no specific question about diabetes, this is likely covered by BMI, diet, exercise and family history of heart disease.
Yes, stress on the phrase "otherwise healthy individual".

What I meant in the earlier post was that if one is already diagnosed as having a "weak" liver, or kidney leaking protein or glucose into the urine, etc..., then the calculator result does not apply. Is that correct?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Mom lived to 86, dying of "old age", … her body just wore down.
And you're all right with that diagnosis? What exactly is the medical condition called "old age" that is so dangerous? In any event, I've been "worn down" many times but never (yet) considered it life threatening -- in and of itself.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Okay, let me put it in perspective. I am old enough that I have seen many die unexpectedly much younger than they should have (considered by me). On the other hand, there are several of those folks best described by Louis Armstrong.

Bottom line: I believe in magic. One moment you magically appear, You are given an indeterminate period of time to do whatever you choose to do. (make the best of it) And... suddenly you disappear.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I played the above youtube video,

"When you're lyin' six feet deep, no more fried chicken will you eat
I'll be glad when you're dead, you rascal, you, oh yeah"

DW overheard this lyrics and said it was so mean.

Compared to that, this song is much more benign,

Old 05-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
DW overheard this lyrics and said it was so mean.
I am sure it was meant to be by the author. In any event, it is only a wish not a threat -- which is a great "turn of phrase."
Old 05-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #51

Quote:
I used to look at the Death Clock. It uses only age, sex, BMI, outlook on life, and smoking status and gives you a countdown in seconds until your predicted day of departure. The Death Clock - When Am I Going To Die?
Hmm. That one only gives me until age 74. The other one said 91 so I'll go by that.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post
Thank you for that link.

I was curious to see the question about 'drug use'.

I am currently going through radiation treatment for prostate cancer and I have considered using medical Marijuana. I do not know if that is considered drug use in this context.

bts I am 59 and it said 95 for me.
That's medical use. I don't want to run afoul of the mods by posting a very pro-cannibis link. I'd suggest you look at Rick Simpson and RSO oil.

While I may not agree with everything he's done, he's a leader where none are allowed to exist. I see RSO in medical dispensaries, not sure about the cost. I'd expect it to be on par with other medical concentrates or distillates.

For many types of pain, appetite, and other issues people find Cannabis is life changing. I wish you well.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Didn't do so well with this one. Death at 73 compared to 92 on the other calculator.
The Death Clock - When Am I Going To Die?
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

According to the Death Clock (under Normal), my time was up on Friday, July 21, 2017.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:06 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

That Death Clock is a satire.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #56

Yes perhaps a satire but it is functional based on inputs and seems to be based on appropriate mortality tables. The Death Clock gives me to age 90 the Calculator for the thread gives me 98. Unless we are playing by 'The Price is Right' rules than my money would be on The Death Clock.

And yes, NW-Bound I agree with you that if one had pre-existing kidney or liver disease that one would fall into the 'chronic disease' group.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

On the Death Clock I can change my BMI from 25 to 31 with no different results in years of death (73). LOL I go to 32 BMI I loss about one year of life.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Makes sense. Everyone else has moved on. Must feel kind of lonely.
DW's grandmother,96, passed about 15 years ago, her only friend alive, a neighbor, died later on that same day. The only people at the funeral were our family of 4 and a 74 year old cousin of DW.

Now I'm spooked, both calculators give me til I'm 91.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
And you're all right with that diagnosis? What exactly is the medical condition called "old age" that is so dangerous? In any event, I've been "worn down" many times but never (yet) considered it life threatening -- in and of itself.

Yes we are . That is how we summarized the situation, including 2 family members who are doctors and who oversaw her health condition, so her doctors were very honest with us. Things such as certain organs getting weaker and not working at full capacity due to natural aging. An aortic aneurysm that was small enough not be immediately fatal and was being monitored and not increasing, but located so that, given her age, made an operation more dangerous that leaving it. Increasing tiredness/sleeping and frailty, but with no pain. Losing appetite but very mentally alert, not depressed, and aware of her surroundings (passed multiple dementia tests with flying colors). Essentially her body slowly weakened to a peaceful passing.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Yes we are . That is how we summarized the situation, including 2 family members who are doctors and who oversaw her health condition, so her doctors were very honest with us. Things such as certain organs getting weaker and not working at full capacity due to natural aging. An aortic aneurysm that was small enough not be immediately fatal and was being monitored and not increasing, but located so that, given her age, made an operation more dangerous that leaving it. Increasing tiredness/sleeping and frailty, but with no pain. Losing appetite but very mentally alert, not depressed, and aware of her surroundings (passed multiple dementia tests with flying colors). Essentially her body slowly weakened to a peaceful passing.
I am sorry.