Life Expectancy Quiz

Per the quiz - 86, But I'll stick with 84.3 a la the IRS(love that 0.3) and run FIREcalc using age 85.

Just slightly longer than the early retirement life expectancy chart would indicate, ;)

I got 89.6 (bumping up to 92.8 when I went back and changed a few answers about things that I do most of the time, but not all the time, from "no" to "yes"). I always use 95 as my assumed life expectancy for planning... I'd rather err on the optimistic side!

81.4. Some time I'll go back and flip a couple questions the other way, one at a time. I needed a third choice on a couple.

For assets, I am planning for 95, to be sure to cover my wife. I will be long long gone by then! Longevity in my family is not a strong point. But that said, it never raised any eyebrows. Never saw either grandfathers, though grandmothers lived till late 80's. Parents dead before 75. Not the lingering illness type, more the bang its over type (good!). It's funny, because I am one of the healthiest people I know! I am in much better shape now than my father was at same age, so a longer life may be possible.

I have already "planned" my demise (hee hee ;)). Here it is, a one act play entitled "Death of Telly" (I put a lot of thought into that title, huh?):

The curtain rises, as we see Telly standing there... he turns and faces the audience... he looks down... and suddenly exclaims loudly:

"Why is the floor getting bigger?!"

THUMP!

We see Telly crumpled, motionless on the floor.

The curtain slowly falls... and the sold-out crowd goes wild!!!

It's a sure fire winner! I just need some up-front financing for it :D

Sorry Telly, but I expect your play will be a short run. ;)

Dory36

Re:  95.

I run FinancialEngines at 115 (its max) but I use 120 when I can.

America's oldest man just gave it up at 114 (although he couldn't produce his birth certificate) and biologists are trying to decide if our telomeres are programmed for a max lifespan of 120.

I noted the effects of changing some of the answers. Apparently by flossing daily we gain 1.2 years. In my case that means 20 minutes a day for the next 52 years. This works out to 0.72 years of effort for an additional 0.48 years of lifespan beyond the effort. I'm sold on the time ROI but I guess I'll have to price bulk-rate dental floss. Anyone know what materials go into those dryer sheets?

I can appreciate the benefits of green tea (especially with caffeine!) but I'm concerned about 800 mg vitamin E with an aspirin a day. Blood clotting gets so slow that I'm afraid I'd hemorrhage to death-- albeit with a very healthy cardiovascular system. (Maybe it's the additional effect of the 500 mg of vitamin C.) I take 400 mg vit E but no aspirin and now I can survive a paper cut. I don't know if aspirin's 0.8 years would survive a cost/benefits analysis, and this "quiz" doesn't even mention vitamin C. Anyone else noticed this problem, or should I be seeking professional help?!?

I think the quiz also misses the beneficial effects of surfing. (And, I'm sure Cut-Throat would add, fishing.) Rabbit Kekai is still going out at 84 and he doesn't look a day over 60...
(http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/2001/Jan/07/17islandlife1.html)

I got 81.6, but at least I beat Telly! The adkins diet must be killing me. When I change the eating answers I add 4 years to my life. Was Dr. Adkins lying to us before his pre-mature death?

Dr. Atkins was not lying.  He died accidentally from slipping on some ice.  Be careful, ye in snow country.

Have fun.

John R.

Speaking of life expectancy - I notice our local boy John Folse is reworking at lot of his Cajun cooking for lower fat and salt.

Any ER's out there doing anything interesting food, exercise, and lower stress wise that's fun. I don't mean just putting away the dryer sheet box and hanging your clothes for added exercise. I lean toward dark chocolate instead of green tea for anti- oxidents. Exercise tends toward remodeling after the winter storms.

Now that ten ER years have passed, perhaps I should wake up and do something serious - provided it doesn't increase my stress level.

Dr. Atkins was not lying.  He died accidentally from slipping on some ice.  Be careful, ye in snow country.

Have fun.

John R.
Thanks for correcting my spelling (something I have never taken too seriously). Yes, he did die in a fall on ice. I don't put much stock in all the recent news of his obesity and heart disease, especially when all the pictures of him in latter life didn't show him to be obese. I do wonder now why the life expectancy quiz didn't ask if we lived in cold country. Ice alone probably took 12 years off Dr. Atkins life (died at 72). :p

Back
Top Bottom