Life Link experiment

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
A quiet day, with nothing else to do... so DW and I were discussing our "history", and some of the places we worked, lived or recreated. With 22 total moves, there are lots of memories.
In no particular order, and no plan of attack, some google images, google maps, google streetview, and trips to zillow etc., copying down the search links, so that we could share the pictures with our kids.
A simple process, it only took about a half hour to search, copy, and put the links into an html file.
I'm not sure the links will "hold", but if they do, it seems to be a good way to do a "life" journal of pictures.

I saved my links as an html file, so I could just click the links and go to the pics, but I can't upload it here, so the attached file is just text. To view the link you'd have to cut and paste the URL.

The pictures won't mean anything to you but they are of places where we lived, colleges, and places where we worked and played. An easy way of sharing.
If this doesn't work, I'll come back and delete... worth a try... :angel:

Attachments

• Life.txt
    3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
In a way, that is your digital tjingura (so). You can make a custom map in Google, also.

That is a great idea. Kids will appreciate having the record.

Last edited:
Neat idea. I can't get the file to open for me--but the important part is putting it together for your family!

[Per ERD50's suggestion, saving to desktop worked. Thanks!]

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks! Worked for me, I just saved the txt file to desktop and I could open (from Chrome/Chromium) and triple click a link, then right-click to "open link in new tab" (multiple ways to do this though).

You might consider "printing to PDF" the results, as a google search like that will change over time. I think both combined are good, a snapshot in time, with maybe interesting things added later.

-ERD50

Interesting, thanks! Worked for me, I just saved the txt file to desktop and I could open (from Chrome/Chromium) and triple click a link, then right-click to "open link in new tab" (multiple ways to do this though).

You might consider "printing to PDF" the results, as a google search like that will change over time. I think both combined are good, a snapshot in time, with maybe interesting things added later.

-ERD50

Yes... Saving as a .doc, or .html file keeps the links clickable. We can't upload an .html or .pdf file here, so to see the links, you have to copy/paste the URL....

This is the way it shows up in an HTML file...

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&hl=en&complete=0&biw=1280&bih=873&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Bowdoin+College&oq=Bowdoin+College&gs_l=img.3...58091.67880.0.70675.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.0.0.U8G8YMjim3s

It's a nice way to see memories... in this case my college

Last edited:
With all the things you do Imolder I am surprised you didn't write this up as an actual HTML file with descriptions and links. eg.:
<a href="https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=873&q=62+elder+street+pawtucket+RI&oq=62+elder+street+pawtucket+RI&gs_l=img.3...6783.26161.0.27697.40.30.10.0.0.0.129.1676.29j1.30.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.10.474.4JA9-EMkprY
">Your first link</a>

With all the things you do Imolder I am surprised you didn't write this up as an actual HTML file with descriptions and links. eg.:
<a href="https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=873&q=62+elder+street+pawtucket+RI&oq=62+elder+street+pawtucket+RI&gs_l=img.3...6783.26161.0.27697.40.30.10.0.0.0.129.1676.29j1.30.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.10.474.4JA9-EMkprY
">Your first link</a>
Thanks, Don...
Yeah... I did turn the links into an html file, when I sent the links to my kids. Problem here as far as I can see, there's no way to upload the html file... upload file types are limited.
I've stopped putting links into Google drive, since I made a little mistake and shared files with too many people. :(

Older Sister and I, and one cousin, have been putting family stuff (old photos, anecdotes, census takers' remarks) on a "private" FB group for several years. I like to see what ancestors looked like, and which kids look just like their parents. I also want to know anything I can about ancestors' medical histories. However, it seems like I am the only one who ever paid much attention to this last item.

Sister has a "thing" for photos, addresses, and remarks on the current condition of old houses that family used to live in. I don't see the point, but it's a big deal to her that "the current owners added a new room" or "they've changed the front door and I liked the old one better."

Thanks, Don...
Yeah... I did turn the links into an html file, when I sent the links to my kids. Problem here as far as I can see, there's no way to upload the html file... upload file types are limited.
I've stopped putting links into Google drive, since I made a little mistake and shared files with too many people. :(
You could take the .html file, rename it as .txt and attach that.

Back
Top Bottom