Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Lifes intricacies that led to your FIRE
Old 08-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lifes intricacies that led to your FIRE

So after reading a few posts I was beginning to compare my own situation and realized how crazy my life has been on my path to FIRE.

I have held over 20 jobs, traveled to 8 different countries, lived in 7 different places and got married.

Of us who holdx college degrees?

How many of us don't have a degree but do have college experience?

How many of you have had the same job the whole time on your path to FIRE?

Who has owned there own business?

Who of us has relocated or moved out of state on our path to FIRE?

Just some questions I ponder.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
So after reading a few posts I was beginning to compare my own situation and realized how crazy my life has been on my path to FIRE.

I have held over 20 jobs, traveled to 8 different countries, lived in 7 different places and got married.

Just some questions I ponder.

Since graduating HS at age 18 I worked for 7 different companies, in 7 different locations in England (4 different cities), Scotland, Louisiana and Texas.

I have a degree in EE.

I have never owned my own company.

I ER'ed at age 55
Old 08-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #3

I have a degree in Criminal Justice and worked for the same police department for 29 years. Not the same job though, there were several different ones. It is the COLA'd pension that allowed ER at 52. After that I worked another security position for five years (was it really that long?) and when things went south there I quit.

Married, no kids, only been to two other countries - Puerto Rico and Canada, and those only briefly. That I haven't traveled more doesn't bother me a bit.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've had two jobs, both in civil engineering/ land surveying. One for the last 32 yrs, being part owner of the firm for 20 years. Another job 7 yrs before that in the same city. I've lived and worked my entire life within 25 miles of my birthplace. I have never spent the night in a foreign country. Married with no kids.

I have a degree in business administration, and still work 1-2 days a week.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #5

Just one job in the same location at a MegaTechCorp since I got out of grad school.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #6

Worked for Uncle Sam for 32 years - two agencies - NOAA and NASA. Had lots of different job titles over that time. Masters degree. Moved to a new state after retiring.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Worked for four companies, the longest under 18 months, partner in a two man VW shop for almost five years, became able to live on rental property earnings and still do. Trying to divest of all or most of the rentals, but it's hard to sell and take payments for less than the properties bring in every year.

College degree. Spending six months a year in our summer home a thousand miles from the rentals. A large part of my position is the synergy of meeting and staying with the same woman for the last 35 years. No kids, no marriage.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Worked for Uncle Sam for 32 years - two agencies - NOAA and NASA. Had lots of different job titles over that time. Masters degree. Moved to a new state after retiring.

Hmmm......I worked for Uncle Sam for what will be a month short of 36 years when I retire at the end of December this year. Worked for DoD all that time, but two agencies within the DoD agency...Air Force and Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA). Air Force as an active duty guy (4 1/2 yrs), then Air Force fed civilian employee + reservist (28 yrs). Changed agencies in '08 to DCMA been there 5 yrs & will retire from there soon. Total of almost 36 yrs civilian time. Total military time at retirement was 33 yrs.

I regret not staying on active duty to at least get the 20 yr retirement. At least I did the 2nd best thing and remained as a reservist to secure a decent retirement starting at age 60.

I did wear a number of different hats (titles) over those years, but basically I'll just call myself a federal employee and veteran.

No degree, but enough credits to almost have one. Maybe when I retire for good I'll go back & take the 5 classes I need.

Wife & I are in the process of buying a house in Louisiana in a neighborhood where we once lived for 12 years, so that's our retirement location.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Fun to look back
Excluding 10 pre-college graduation jobs... Two major companies plus US Army... then for 3 years in my own small business... retiring after cancer scare in 1989.
Since marriage 56 years ago, DW and I have moved (permanent moves) 22 times, mostly company/promotion moves.
Been to 5 countries and lived in all of the New England States except CT, plus Illinois, Georgia, New York and Florida. (including 3 yrs on Martha's Vineyard).
aside... recalling another recent thread about Retirement Parties...:
I was thinking about a great surprise party held for me with 60 co-workers as if it were a retirement party... It wasn't.. but rather a goodbye party in NY when I was promoted to the Chicago Home office in 1979. I couldn't have had a retirement party after Chicago, because my last company job, 5 years later, was a special assignment to close down the 2300 company and franchise operations, as I worked my way out of servitude... no one left to throw a party!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

3 degrees

N/A

11 jobs

Yes, professional corporation

3 countries, 7 locations..........and an inheritance, without which I would still be working.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of us who holds college degrees? How many of us don't have a degree but do have college experience?
Four degrees (BA, BSEE, MS, PhD)

Quote:
Not me! Now wouldn't that be a wonderful life. I held many jobs, mostly in academia, and ended up as a federal employee for just barely long enough to retain health coverage (for a price), and a teeny tiny pension.

Quote:
Who has owned their own business?
Sort of? (But this was not the path I took to FIRE.) Many years ago I founded a little one person business (located on my kitchen table) for selling my E.E. senior design project. After ~2-3 months I had earned enough to pay for a modest dream car, and at that point I shut it down, bought the car, and took a graduate assistantship instead. I am not cut out for business; hats off to those who started this way and followed through on it.

Quote:
I have moved many times and seldom of my own volition. Career always had precedence.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I got a B.S. degree in chemistry and chemical engineering in Europe, then came to the US to get a Ph.D. in chemistry. I reached FIRE in only 9 years post graduate school and held 3 jobs in 2 states during that time. I have never owned a business.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

3 degrees

I worked in the same field the entire time. I did work at a few different places, but I worked with the same person (who I followed to a couple of firms) for over 30 years. I only moved within state. The moves were a couple of years after I got out of school and have been in my current area for over 30 years.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

BA MA PhD in Psychology

Taught college out of graduate school, then moved to the corporate world in marketing research and user experience.

Let's see.... worked for five companies, plus did a few years of freelance research.

Lived in four states plus France.

2 kids and one brand new grandchild.

None of this was an intentional "path to FIRE"--I had no plans in that regard aside from "saving for retirement". Lost my corporate job 3 years ago, tried to find another one without much luck (or enthusiasm ), did some research on ER and decided that was for me!
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Graduated HS at 18. Attended college, but did not graduate.

Held positions with six different companies, all in my California hometown. ER'd from the last one after 25 years.
chilkoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Went to college and got a 4-year degree. Got one job offer and worked there for 23 years before ERing. I did switch from working FT to PT then from PT to more PT (fewer hours). I moved a few times in the 1980s but all were within 35 miles of each other, keeping the same job.

Single, childfree, ERed at age 45, nearly 5 years ago.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #17

BS in Mechanical Engineering. Also tacked on additional majors in Business and Economics.

Thought about going for an MBA when I was changing careers (and thought about pursuing my second career in finance), but I would have graduated from B-school right around the Fall of 2009 or 2010...so pretty glad I didn't end up doing that. I've pretty much given up on B-school, since it's definitely not worth the investment at this point, and do enjoy the second career I wound up in (non-finance).

My path involved working for the family business, being fairly compensated for both my efforts and my results, and then having a mega project come along that (thankfully) turned out well beyond our expectations....and carried a good sized bonus with it.

But that mega project also came with mega stress - caused by both family as well as project specific. It was an eye opener for me, and made me realize things would be best for all parties long-term if I sought other opportunities outside of the company.

Took my second career as an engineer in a field directly related to the family business in 2008, and it's actually turned out pretty good, as it helped me realize what career type I enjoy. But it also helped me experience a corporate culture for the first time outside of the family business....where I encountered an egotistical boss, annoying coworkers, higher ups who change their mind on a whim and don't bother remembering what they told you before, yada yada yada...

I was a super-prodigious accumulator of wealth in my 20s and early 30s, which helped grow the stash at fantastic rates.

Now at 36, just trying to find that special future DW to settle down and plan an early retirement in my 40s with and then continue enjoying life! Most likely will continue in my (second) career position until retirement, and maybe pick up an occasional side project to design for a few extra bucks if future DW and I want to do something crazy like a round-the-world cruise, or a wedding to pay for, etc.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I got into computers and programming in high school, and feel fortunate that I ws able to have a career in a field that I saw as a hobby.

I majored in computers and math in school, worked for Megacorp as a summer intern, and then they offered me full time employment upon graduation. I've been with them 34 years (something I would never have seen when I joined), a variety of jobs (but never far removed working with technology and clients), and three physical moves. Some of my friends I started with at Megacorp left for other opportunities and are multimillionaires - more power to them. Some of my friends I started with at Megacorp left for other opportunities are are in worse shape than ever.

Never owned my own business - but frankly have been shocked at what I've been able to make at Megacorp and that was plenty enough for us. Even with that I didn't get truly serious about savings/investing with intent to FIRE until about 15 years into my career. Couple that with LBYM and a pension to cover part of planned FIRE expenses, I feel very fortunate.

Married to my college sweetheart -it certainly helped we had common goals in many areas, including LBYM). Having children kids may have slowed down the march to FIRE, but it didn't eliminate it. With only one college expense left to go (and being temporary empty nesters) I feel fortunate.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Only one year of college, then a hitch in the Navy. Only job related moves were while in the Navy.

After the Navy, I didn't work a real job for several years. I worked part time on the family farm, and supported myself with grass. {the kind in your yard, not the kind that grows in the pine woods} It helped that I could live rent free in some of my family's houses.

When I did get a hourly job, it was still doing grass. This time at a golf course. One year there, then a year in the grass seed business. The day I quite that job was the day I moved in with DW. That was also the start of FIRE planning.

I farmed full time for one year. I went in halves with my father. We ran 200 head of cattle in a cow/calf operation, did some row crops and a little truck farming.

It is a challenge to work with your family. More of a challenge than I wanted to take on. I took my current job at a Private, Not For Profit, Civic Center. The first few years I was doing recreation, which meant more grass. We also hired a lot of artists, actors and musicians, and brought in kids from the local schools. I did sound and lighting for that.

These days we are out of all that, and my job has migrated over the years to nights and weekends. I've been here over 22 years and it looks like I've got at least 10 more. But me and the job has rubbed all the rough places off each other years ago. I'm comfortable here, and it gives me someplace to go. When I was not working after the Navy, I wasn't very happy. It might be different with money, but for now, I plan to keep working.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #20

1 degree B.S. Communications/Journalism

Worked for two companies.

First one 8 years, five different positions, five cities (Portland, Miami, Phoenix, Houston, D.C.).

Second one 20 years, seven different positions, two cities (Denver, Los Angeles).

Interestingly, the two companies had six different owners while I was there. Glad they kept me around.

Two pensions believe it or not, stock options from Company #2.

One ex wife, one son and one girlfriend for the last six years.

After more than 4 million miles flying it was time to hang em up in 2009.