Light Bulbs

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
If a lamp indicates that it can utilize a 60 watt bulb, and one of the newer kinds of bulbs indicates that it's an "18w that replaces a 75w" bulb can this newer bulb be safely used in a lamp, fan, etc.?

Yes. The bulb capacity is based on actual wattage, not the brightness produced.

What the above posters said. A bit more explanation follows.

The new bulb puts out as much light as a 75W incandescent bulb. However, it only consumes 15W. It will emit a lot less heat than the 60W rating that the fixture can dissipate. Therefore, it is completely safe, and in fact will run a lot cooler than the old 60W bulb.

All of the above.

Just be aware that the light spectrum will be narrower. Not as "sun like" than incandescents.

My problem is that a 60 watt bulb is not bright enough to read by. It's too dim, and 100 watt bulbs are getting increasingly hard to buy. A few big box home store retailers have bought up the remaining supply of 100 watters.

On the other hand, 100 watt equivalent LED's are few and far between--and very expensive.

...On the other hand, 100 watt equivalent LED's are few and far between--and very expensive.

True, until recently.

I just got some from Costco (forgot how much exactly). The new ones have a higher lumen spec than the first 100W LED bulb I bought a year ago. When I replaced the old LED bulb to use it elsewhere, the increased brightness from the new bulb was noticeable.

Apparently, manufacturers can claim 100W-equivalency with some tolerance, and not all 100W-equivalent bulbs are the same in brightness.

Last edited:
If an LED bulb is used to replace an incandescent that uses a dimmer switch, does the switch need to be replaced as well?

Supposedly not, if the LED bulb is of the dimmable type. However, posters have talked of having some problems like flickering. I myself have not used LEDs on dimmers, so do not know.

How 'bout this as a community service?

I just went out to the garage and looked at the LED package on the shelf. It said "100W equivalent, dimmable, 17W power consumption, 1600 lumens, soft white".

Hallelujah! You can find them at your nearest Costco. Buy, buy, buy...

Despite my "superior" memory, I do not remember how much they cost, but if I bought them, they had to be inexpensive. Maybe $5 each, which is unbeatable for 100W equivalent.

Last edited:
To the OP... Yes, the new LED bulbs are much lower wattage (power) compared to the incandescent style bulbs. The ratings for lamps and such are typically based on the wiring and switches used in the device and the appropriate wattage rating is established to avoid overheating, melting wires, etc.

So I guess with the new LED bulbs you could use a product that indicates 60W replaces an XXXX watt bulb. That would be one monster lumen LED bulb! Just kidding - an LED like that probably doesn't exist for residential use.

Regarding price of LED bulbs... I notice prices in big box home furnishing and home repair centers are higher than I want to pay. I don't recall the prices exactly but in the $6 - $10 per bulb range. IKEA LED bulbs are much more affordable. We've installed a few bulbs from IKEA and they seem to work fine - they have a variety of physical sizes and lumen ratings. The prices are more like $2 - $4 per bulb.

Prices of LED bulbs at Ikea were good... until Costco starts to carry them. See my post above.

Prices of LED bulbs at Ikea were good... until Costco starts to carry them. See my post above.
Lowes sells two "60 watt" LED bulbs for $3. I suspect they are cheaply made, but I was amazed to see them at this price already.

One of my big gripes about the new LED bulbs has been that 60W, maybe 75W, equiv has been a bright as they get. But, like those above, I just bought a 10 pack of 100W equivalents at Costco for a good price. Now, I can see inside my home on these dark, cloudy and short winter days.

My problem is that a 60 watt bulb is not bright enough to read by. It's too dim, and 100 watt bulbs are getting increasingly hard to buy. A few big box home store retailers have bought up the remaining supply of 100 watters.

On the other hand, 100 watt equivalent LED's are few and far between--and very expensive.

I have a floor lamp that was designed for 3-way 50/100/150W bulbs, and turning the lamp up to the highest level helps for reading. I think 3-way incandescent bulbs might be easier to find than plain 100W incandescent bulbs. I bought a package of two such bulbs from Amazon in January of 2014 and haven't had to buy any more. Since my cataract surgeries I only use that lamp occasionally, mostly when I am reading for a very long time.

Also, I have heard that LED bulbs can be nice and bright although I haven't shifted over to them yet myself.

I would urge you to ask about cataracts the next time your eyes are checked. Cataract surgery is great these days. Mine only took 7 minutes for both eyes, and sure brightened up the world.

Last edited:
Lowes sells two "60 watt" LED bulbs for $3. I suspect they are cheaply made, but I was amazed to see them at this price already.
Wow. I do not remember the price of equivalent bulbs at Costco, but $1.5/each is hard to beat. Looks like the Chinese are cranking them out 24/7.

If an LED bulb is used to replace an incandescent that uses a dimmer switch, does the switch need to be replaced as well?
We have LED bulbs used with switches. We switched from fluorescent (dimmer not allowed) to LED and added the dimmer switches and they work great! :)

My problem is that a 60 watt bulb ....

And the LED bulbs that I have evaluated in lamps are not as omni-directional in their light output pattern as the incandescents that they replace.

I have been fairly happy with some of the CFLs that I have purchased for lamps (as long as I don't try to dim them).

The large overhead BR40 Flood lights in my high vaulted ceiling, which are no longer available outside of transitional Halogen versions, are more of a concern.

-gauss

BR40 you say? How about LED version?

I have a floor lamp that was designed for 3-way 50/100/150W bulbs, and turning the lamp up to the highest level helps for reading. I think 3-way incandescent bulbs might be easier to find than plain 100W incandescent bulbs. I bought a package of two such bulbs from Amazon in January of 2014 and haven't had to buy any more. Since my cataract surgeries I only use that lamp occasionally, mostly when I am reading for a very long time.

Also, I have heard that LED bulbs can be nice and bright although I haven't shifted over to them yet myself.

I would urge you to ask about cataracts the next time your eyes are checked. Cataract surgery is great these days. Mine only took 7 minutes for both eyes, and sure brightened up the world.

There are 3-way LED bulbs. I know that 3-way 100W equivalent bulbs with 500/1000/1600 lumen modes are available (numbers might be slightly off).

BR40 you say? How about LED version?

Thanks.

Are they dimmable yet?

It seems like a purchased one during the past year and wasn't happy with either the dimming performance or the color (I was shooting for a warm yellow ~2700k I believe which I choose for my CFLs).

-gauss

All 3 in the linky are dimmable.

True, until recently.

I just got some from Costco (forgot how much exactly). The new ones have a higher lumen spec than the first 100W LED bulb I bought a year ago. When I replaced the old LED bulb to use it elsewhere, the increased brightness from the new bulb was noticeable.

Apparently, manufacturers can claim 100W-equivalency with some tolerance, and not all 100W-equivalent bulbs are the same in brightness.

True of incandescent as well.... even when I was buying them I looked at the lumens produced... some 'long life' bulbs produced a whole lot less than normal bulbs...

SOOO, saying 100W equivalent in a way is meaningless....

I got a bunch at Home Depot.... and IIRC they say dimmable, but they do not work at my breakfast table where I want them... they will dim some, but the switch is humming pretty loud which I do not like... I have two of them in with two normal bulbs and it seems to work much better...

And the LED bulbs that I have evaluated in lamps are not as omni-directional in their light output pattern as the incandescents that they replace.

I have been fairly happy with some of the CFLs that I have purchased for lamps (as long as I don't try to dim them).

The large overhead BR40 Flood lights in my high vaulted ceiling, which are no longer available outside of transitional Halogen versions, are more of a concern.

-gauss

We bought LEDs for the kitchen and they work great... the 'lens' is not clear so it projects the light all over.... but we do have 4 in a pretty small area... not sure how they would work in a large living room with vaulted ceilings...

Similar to this... not sure if this is what I bought....

Philips 65W Equivalent Soft White BR40 Dimmable with Warm Glow Light Effect LED Light Bulb (E)*-457002 - The Home Depot

Back
Top Bottom