Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Lighting for when on vacation
Old 06-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lighting for when on vacation

I've been thinking about upgrading our house lighting for burglary prevention. Right now we have some lights that come on with motion sensing at a few points outside. There is a timer on the front door lighting that even corrects for seasonal variations and day light savings time. Some LED lights go down our walkway. A light comes on in the upstairs bedroom for the 9pm to 12pm times. We also have an alarm system.

It occurred to me that when the shades are drawn all I might need is a decent power LED work light to shine on the shades for a room in a lower level. Here is one for about $35, Designers Edge L1306 108-LED Portable Bright LED Workshop Lighting, Green - Portable Work Lights - Amazon.com

Does this sound like a good idea attached to a mechanical timer on a wall socket? Or is there an even better one?

Any other thoughts on home security items that really work and are simple installations?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about this one instead?

FakeTV FTV-11 Extra Bright Burglar Deterrent

Amazon.com : FakeTV FTV-11 Extra Bright Burglar Deterrent : Security And Surveillance Products : Camera & Photo
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like my Fake TV. FakeTV - The Burglar Deterrent

I bought the FTV-11 ($40.). It comes on at dusk and you can set it to run for dusk+3 hours or dusk+7 hours.

I leave it plugged-in all the time (even when I'm home) in the seldom-used front room, so it appears as though the TV is on (and someone is home).

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I had looked at the Fake TV a long time ago. Thanks for reminding me!

Took a look at the Amazon reviews and this thing is worth a try. When I look at the star rating it gets only 4 1-stars out of 206 reviews -- a good ratio.

Since it's Amazon fulfillment, I can just ship it back should it not work for us.

P.S. That video on the FakeTV sight was a chuckle. The actors must have had a good time being burglars and the woman with the baby was a hoot.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

Many years ago I started putting certain lamps on a timer when I was out of town. There are some you can find in hardware stores that have a random feature. You set it for on and off at some time in the evening and it randomizes those times within an hour or so on each side. Pretty effective, I think.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

+1 for Fake TV. I saw it here and bought it. Very convincing, and very cheap to run.

Because of the way our room gets some lighting, I instead put it on an external timer because the dusk feature wasn't working very well.

Still a great buy.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I got the Fake TV and it is working very nicely. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I ordered the FTV-11 but an FTV-10 was in the package. It was OK but too dim for our situation. Just got the FTV-11 replacement order and it works great.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I thought Fake TV was the Kardashians.